Are Magnetic Components Inc brand Trannies good?

All about iron and copper.

Moderator: VelvetGeorge

slashsound

Are Magnetic Components Inc brand Trannies good?

Post by slashsound » Tue Apr 28, 2009 12:21 am

If you read through their description of how they make these trannies, they make it sound like theres is better than say Mercury or Heyboer or even Marstran. They say that they dont hammer their transformers that they do some other process , where they use a press machine. Im pretty sure these guys make awesome trannies for everything, but guitar tube amps are a whole other monster. What do you guys think? Have any of you compared these with the originals or with Heyboers? Thanks. http://www.magneticcomponents.net/Fende ... rmers.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

novosibir
Just the numbers in order: 7

Re: Are Magnetic Components Inc brand Trannies good?

Post by novosibir » Tue Apr 28, 2009 3:59 am

slashsound wrote:They say that they dont hammer their transformers that they do some other process , where they use a press machine.
None of the known transformer manufacturers do hammer their transformers, they all use a press machine - only, they don't mention it, because it's usual these days 8)

Larry
The fault almost always is sitting in front of the amp :wink:

Larry's Website now with included Pix's Gallery

MacGaden
Wiki Editor

Post by MacGaden » Tue Apr 28, 2009 4:06 am

Interesting.. How do you buy from them ? I can´t find the info on the site..?
MacG.

"Play it right, Dad ! No More Dwiddely Dwiddely !
My son Adam at 3 years old. Best advice I ever got..

novosibir

Post by novosibir » Tue Apr 28, 2009 3:11 pm

MacGaden wrote:How do you buy from them ? I can´t find the info on the site..?
http://www.magneticcomponents.net/WhyBu ... romUS.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

and scroll down to the bottom, there you find this:
Order Minimums: 25 piece minimum order per item on Tru-Tone stock parts only. Please contact our exclusive Tru-Tone distributors for quantities less than 25 pieces.
Payment Terms: Cash In Advance if you do not have established credit with us. Open account credit may be established only if your order value is at least $1000.00 and will be pending credit approval after receipt of purchase order. You must provide a D & B number to establish open account.
Larry

MacGaden
Wiki Editor

Post by MacGaden » Tue Apr 28, 2009 3:22 pm

I wrote to them, and they are working on setting up distributors. I need only one... :D (For my ´69 Bandmaster Reverb. I need an 4/8/16Ω tap.)

Their current line, which includes some models for Marshalls and clones are distributed, without their name on, through CE and Triode electronics. They also linked to this shootout, which i find interesting:

http://www.magneticcomponents.net/HearW ... romUs.html

Especially since they mention Granger Amplification, which I think sort of grew out of this forum, and the amp they tested the OT s in uses the "Lar/Mar Master"...

Tell me what you think.. I know which one(s) I like..
MacG.

novosibir

Post by novosibir » Tue Apr 28, 2009 5:56 pm

MacGaden wrote:Tell me what you think.. I know which one(s) I like..
IMO the Heyboer OT is the winner, very close followed by the Tru-Tone OT
Weber's OT I'd put on place 3 and the MM is the looser of the shootout - sooooo dull sounding!

Or should we make a poll :mrgreen:

Larry

slashsound

Post by slashsound » Tue Apr 28, 2009 7:02 pm

novosibir wrote:
MacGaden wrote:Tell me what you think.. I know which one(s) I like..
IMO the Heyboer OT is the winner, very close followed by the Tru-Tone OT
Weber's OT I'd put on place 3 and the MM is the looser of the shootout - sooooo dull sounding!

Or should we make a poll :mrgreen:

Larry
To be perfectly honest I cant hear a difference between the Heyboer and the Trutone ... what am I supposed to be looking for to be able to identify the difference? Is it going to to be frequency based or gain based or what?

S.Marshall

Post by S.Marshall » Tue Apr 28, 2009 8:45 pm

I like the Heyboer and the Tru-tone. Haven't decided which I like better since I'm listening through my laptop speakers. I can think of a few others I wish were in the comparison though.
-Steve

Flames1950

Post by Flames1950 » Tue Apr 28, 2009 11:09 pm

I suppose it was the recording equipment and mic placement....I had a hard time getting past the fizz underlying the overall tone in the recordings.........I still have to agree on Heyboer and the Tru-Tone being the top dogs though, and I might have to build something with the Tru-Tones soon since I can get them through CE.

slashsound

Post by slashsound » Tue Apr 28, 2009 11:52 pm

Flames1950 wrote:I suppose it was the recording equipment and mic placement....I had a hard time getting past the fizz underlying the overall tone in the recordings.........I still have to agree on Heyboer and the Tru-Tone being the top dogs though, and I might have to build something with the Tru-Tones soon since I can get them through CE.
What does CE stand for ?

MacGaden
Wiki Editor

Post by MacGaden » Wed Apr 29, 2009 1:16 am

slashsound wrote:
Flames1950 wrote:I suppose it was the recording equipment and mic placement....I had a hard time getting past the fizz underlying the overall tone in the recordings.........I still have to agree on Heyboer and the Tru-Tone being the top dogs though, and I might have to build something with the Tru-Tones soon since I can get them through CE.
What does CE stand for ?
https://secure.cedist.com/ Another wholesaler.. :(

But I agree: Heyboer and Tru-Tone are the best sounding, and the MM is surprisingly dull.. I´ve been looking for a replacement for my Bandmaster Reverb, and MM makes one, but MM´s trannys does´nt sound "right" to me..
MacG.

baron55

Post by baron55 » Thu Apr 30, 2009 12:22 am

I did a custom order of 12 pieces from them last month and am very happy with the results. Actually got 13 pieces, they sent me out a free sample prior to me purchasing them.

As others mentioned you can order their "True Tone" line from CE, Antique Electronics Supply and Triode Electronics. Basically the CE (Antique Electronic Supply) and Triode Electronics "House Brand" is the Magnetic Components Iron.

Those OT clips indeed were done By Granger about 2 moths ago and was quite the discussion on a few message boards. Granger had to pull them because his site was getting hit with too much bandwidth.

A bunch of guys really investigated who made the CE (Antique Electronics Supply) OT in those clips because like others here, most people picked it as a tossup between Heyboer and the CE Iron.

I guess the "166" code on the Iron allowed some guys to look it up and found MC.

I know some other builders use their Iron as well as I see the "166" code on them

novosibir

Post by novosibir » Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:17 am

baron55 wrote:I know some other builders use their Iron as well as I see the "166" code on them
Two-Rock is one of the builders, who uses "166" code iron.

Larry

baron55

Post by baron55 » Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:20 am

I think Glasswerks does as well. I have also heard (don't know for sure) that Mesa Boogie uses some of their Iron.

gldtp99

Post by gldtp99 » Fri May 08, 2009 12:11 am

I've used many transformers made by Magnetic Components without realizing it---- :D
One sweet sounding 2204-type head (several friends want to play this amp only when they come to visit) has their OT----i got it from AES (CE Dist.)-- same one as in the clips.
I've used their Fender replacement 125A6A/022848 OT in several amps: replacing blown OT's in several Silvertone 1484's (both AES/CE and Triode versions)---- My Blonde Transitional Fender AA763 Bandmaster's orig OT was bad---i put in the AES/CE OT (intending to replace it with a "quality" OT later or get the orig OT re-wound)----this amp still is running the MagCom-made OT and sounds terrific with RCA Blackplate 6L6GC's--no need to change the OT.
One of my Brownface Blonde 6G7-A Bandmasters also had an oddball home-wound replacement OT and i replaced it with an AES/CE 125A6A/022848 (new 125C1A replacement choke, too)--- this one sounds as good as my other 6G7-A Bandmasters with orig OT's.This one runs GE 6L6GC's.
I recently built a KT88 x 2 AB763 circuit (485 B+) using a MagCom (from AES/CE) 125A29A/022899 Fender Twin Reverb/Showman OT into an 8 ohm speaker load (4k reflected to KT88 plates)--- i demo'd it last nite for 60+ yr old musician who has played Fenders for longer than i've been alive--- he was very impressed by this one----it's in a 2x12 open backed combo cab.
On my bench now is a BF Vibrolux Reverb build (orig cab, speakers, reverb tank--- replacement chassis, iron, eyeletboard, components etc) that's using MagCom PT, OT, Choke, and Reverb x-former iron---- it should be a good sounding amp.
I always thought this iron sounded great---- despite the "prevailing wisdom" on the amp forums-- but now i've got some MercMag, Heyboer, and Marstran iron for some upcoming builds that i've gotten for cheep from the web.
I am very interested in getting some MagCom iron when they get their new distributors set up--- especially the 4/8/16 ohm tapped OT's......................gldtp99