How do you stabilize your amp chassis?

Product sales, customer service, and announcements.

Moderator: VelvetGeorge

NBJ

How do you stabilize your amp chassis?

Post by NBJ » Sat Nov 29, 2008 12:19 pm

Hi,
First time builder and I'm taking my time. I'm ready to wire the heaters on my 50 watt kit.

I would like to know how other builders stabilize their chassis and hold it at a good angle for doing their work once the transformers are in. It isn't easy to balance and I figure there has to be a better way.

Thanks to those of you who have given me suggestions already. I'd like to hear from others as well.

Thanks,

Nick

lcampz
Just the numbers in order: 7

Re: How do you stabilize your amp chassis?

Post by lcampz » Sat Nov 29, 2008 4:04 pm

...very carefully!! :lol:

I'm sure an "amp cradle" has already been recommended. I always wind up spending that money on more components/tubes, etc.

I'm sure you're doing all of your heater wire twisting outside of the chasis. Anyway, I find that as long as the PT and OT are in, there is enough weight on that end of the chasis to keep it from tipping the other way. With a laydown PT, I just put the handle end of a pair of plyers underneath the PT to level it a bit. With a standup PT, I put the plyers (or shim/small book) underneath the OT. From there... ...I just try to be really careful, especially if the tubes are in! :) What I don't use are boxes or blocks on the edges or ledges of the chasis. That elevates the center of gravity and seems like an accident waiting to happen. ...just my 2 cents...

demonufo
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Post by demonufo » Sun Nov 30, 2008 3:58 am

My method - spare PT wedged under the other end of the chassis! :lol:

Seriously, I must buy/make an amp cradle! :wink:
So I like purple, okay!!!!!!

83.7% of all statistics are made up on the spot!

Mars Hall
Just the numbers in order: 7

Post by Mars Hall » Sun Nov 30, 2008 6:34 am

I made an amp cradle out of a 2x4. I cut the bottom piece the same length as the chassis minus the mounting plates on each end. Then attached two shorter pieces to each end, creating a "C". The mounting plates set on the ends of the short pieces, in the open side of the "C". Be sure to make the end pieces long enough to accomodate the trannies and tubes without bottoming out. Cutting the end pieces too long will make it top heavy. Simple and crude but effective.
"You just slide a bottle up and down til what you want out of it comes out. You just slide away at it til you've got it down." Duane Allman