guitar port

Techniques for getting your tone to tape.

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, BUG

rockstah
Just the numbers in order: 7

Post by rockstah » Fri Nov 17, 2006 7:29 pm

Billy Batz wrote:Yeah a 57. Well Ive had other setups too and Ive always had some excuse for why the sound was shitty though the volume and room issues were always in the back of my mind. What it comes down to is, are these mic pre's great? No. But Like all cheap recording gear, people out there prove with enough skill at engineering even on cheap stuff you can turn out great recordings and a totl novice can walk into 20th century studios and not record a single track that sounds pro. In this case I think Im on target. I recorded some acoustic last night and even though the room isnt ideal it still sounded damn good.
so u cant get decent sound turning up the preamp/input gain for that card?

Billy Batz

Post by Billy Batz » Fri Nov 17, 2006 8:01 pm

I tried what you said and it seems to work OK though I have to push the volume a bit more then Id like so Im not exactly gonna dig in and slam out the chords if you know what I mean. Lermme try a clip.

rockstah

Post by rockstah » Fri Nov 17, 2006 8:02 pm

Billy Batz wrote:I tried what you said and it seems to work OK though I have to push the volume a bit more then Id like so Im not exactly gonna dig in and slam out the chords if you know what I mean. Lermme try a clip.
sure, go for it.

BashCoder

Post by BashCoder » Fri Nov 17, 2006 8:23 pm

Yeah, when you're recording you want to get all of your gain stages in their comfortable operating range. So that may mean everything is at least at 12:00.

Billy Batz

Post by Billy Batz » Fri Nov 17, 2006 8:24 pm

OK its up. An Obligatory 67-ACDC clip. Though I have a lot of recording artifacts. Ill try something else but its getting late here to be hammering out guitar riffs. The Gearbox Early Reflection thing came in handy to get that reflection sound.

rockstah

Post by rockstah » Fri Nov 17, 2006 8:34 pm

Billy Batz wrote:OK its up. An Obligatory 67-ACDC clip. Though I have a lot of recording artifacts. Ill try something else but its getting late here to be hammering out guitar riffs. The Gearbox Early Reflection thing came in handy to get that reflection sound.
sounds good i cant tell the diference between the band track and the just you side of the track!. :)

btw band on right and you are on left? just checking in i have my speakers right right> :)

the amp sounds gerat even through the mp3 artifacts. :)

Billy Batz

Post by Billy Batz » Fri Nov 17, 2006 8:40 pm

Thanks! Im really not an ACDC nut but its probably easiest to get ACDC with it then anythign else. Yeah me on left. Im working on something else. By itself it still sounds small and all around lacks highs and lows. Ill have to figure it out. I still think its my volume and room even with the mic right on the speaker I need some volume. I started lower and I jacked it up so it would sound a little better which it did but I cant get any higher right now.

rockstah

Post by rockstah » Fri Nov 17, 2006 8:48 pm

Billy Batz wrote:Thanks! Im really not an ACDC nut but its probably easiest to get ACDC with it then anythign else. Yeah me on left. Im working on something else. By itself it still sounds small and all around lacks highs and lows. Ill have to figure it out. I still think its my volume and room even with the mic right on the speaker I need some volume. I started lower and I jacked it up so it would sound a little better which it did but I cant get any higher right now.
i hear ya man - it sounds great to me. 8)

Billy Batz

Post by Billy Batz » Fri Nov 17, 2006 8:55 pm

I need to buy a raunch on 10 acres.

rockstah

Post by rockstah » Fri Nov 17, 2006 9:19 pm

Billy Batz wrote:I need to buy a raunch on 10 acres.
so true it is. or some rental space? :P

npminard

Post by npminard » Tue Nov 28, 2006 4:46 am

rockstah, on your podxt pro clips playing eruption, are you using the variac'd plexi setting as it came or did you tweak it a bit? sounds good either way.

on another more, general note, do multi-effects tend to mask the type of p/u's in a guitar and give you a generic sound or can you really tweak the sounds?

Bad Kitty

Post by Bad Kitty » Tue Nov 28, 2006 5:19 am

npminard wrote:on another more, general note, do multi-effects tend to mask the type of p/u's in a guitar and give you a generic sound or can you really tweak the sounds?
That's why I quit using my 2101 so much. It didn't matter what you plugged into it, it always came out sounding the same. I still use it for a few of the wilder hi-gain songs because I can use my old Ibanez on it. That guitar pretty much plays itself anyway. It sounds like total ass through my Marshall though.
Once you get a good amp you need good wood. YMMV.

Mike
Never settle for an amp thats smaller then you are.

Billy Batz

Post by Billy Batz » Tue Nov 28, 2006 6:32 am

I think thats going to happen in any POD engine period.

JimiJames
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Post by JimiJames » Tue Nov 28, 2006 9:28 am

BashCoder wrote:
Billy Batz wrote:Im finding it hard to record a guitar clip worth a damn with it thoguh. It might be my mic. Im semi thinking its the fact of how low volume I am but lots of people are recording great low volume clips.
Do you mean you're putting a mic directly into the GuitarPort?
I musta missed the point here...??? :shock:
so... your not recording direct from the computer? "what you here" setting?
If yes ....why? curious

JJ
RIP Mark Abrahamian-rockstah -classmate/roommate
RIP Ben Wise -StuntDouble- comrade-in-arms

npminard

Post by npminard » Tue Nov 28, 2006 1:07 pm

Bad Kitty wrote:
npminard wrote:on another more, general note, do multi-effects tend to mask the type of p/u's in a guitar and give you a generic sound or can you really tweak the sounds?
That's why I quit using my 2101 so much. It didn't matter what you plugged into it, it always came out sounding the same. I still use it for a few of the wilder hi-gain songs because I can use my old Ibanez on it. That guitar pretty much plays itself anyway. It sounds like total ass through my Marshall though.
Once you get a good amp you need good wood. YMMV.

Mike
Thanks for the response. I've played my Strat through an old Digitech RP-1, didn't sound that great compared to the new POD's.

Glad I asked b/c I thought I was the only one noticing that you can take a $100 guitar and a $1000 guitar, they'll sound very similar, even w/different p/u's, w/multi-effects, but you'll hear the difference on a good amp. Using a friend's PODXT Live, I could get insane high gain tones using my Strat, normally it wouldn't sound that way through an amp, almost sounded like a bridge humbucker to me, thought it was cool though. Being so, I think some of those tones are nice, but take away all of that processing on some players, the playing sounds pretty brutal and would sound totally different on an amp :lol: I've heard clips where the POD's have sounded very good, but I've also heard clips where they sounded very bad, mainly b/c he user didn't know what they were doing.