guitar port

Techniques for getting your tone to tape.

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, BUG

Billy Batz

Post by Billy Batz » Fri Nov 17, 2006 6:43 am

The UX2 is like $200. But I ebayed it for almost half that.

ironbrad

Post by ironbrad » Fri Nov 17, 2006 11:47 am

Darn you guys!!! I just ebay'd myself an GuitarPort Rifftracker package - hardware, software and cables for $110. Oh well, can't have too many toys :wink:

rockstah
Just the numbers in order: 7

Post by rockstah » Fri Nov 17, 2006 11:50 am

ironbrad wrote:Darn you guys!!! I just ebay'd myself an GuitarPort Rifftracker package - hardware, software and cables for $110. Oh well, can't have too many toys :wink:
hell of a deal! ;)

45auto

Post by 45auto » Fri Nov 17, 2006 12:23 pm

musicians fiend has a blem g-port for like $86 i think if anybody needs one.
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default ... dID=559714" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://s62.photobucket.com/albums/h119/ ... t=1980.flv" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

rockstah

Post by rockstah » Fri Nov 17, 2006 12:28 pm

45auto wrote:musicians fiend has a blem g-port for like $86 i think if anybody needs one.
blem?

BashCoder

Post by BashCoder » Fri Nov 17, 2006 1:01 pm

I've been playing with it and it's a very useful tool. Some of the coolest things are picking which mic you're using, the distance from the cab, etc. It's not the real deal, and that's apparent if you A/B to the real thing. But I think they have the most important 80% of the sound there. In other words, a tweed sounds tweedy. When I call up the "Slide Guitar" crunch preset, it sounds a lot like what I dial up for slide. Great for roughing out ideas and practicing.

Most of the effects are mono, which is kind of a drag. But hey - $99.

Here's another thing: When I'm recording my kids, they sometimes go for sounds that I'm not going to buy the real thing for, especially the metal sounds (sorry Bogner and Soldano!). We can get a good facsimile of those extreme sounds quickly and easily with the TonePort.

Their biz model is strong too: Make the hardware cheap and make more profit from the software (extra amps, cabs, effects) and subscriptions. Expansion packs cost as much as a second TonePort. But I can dig it - the $99 buy-in is all most folks will ever need.

45auto

Post by 45auto » Fri Nov 17, 2006 1:23 pm

"blem" is short for blemished, like a scratch or smudge. knock off a few bucks
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default ... dID=559714" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://s62.photobucket.com/albums/h119/ ... t=1980.flv" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Billy Batz

Post by Billy Batz » Fri Nov 17, 2006 5:13 pm

Im finding it hard to record a guitar clip worth a damn with it thoguh. It might be my mic. Im semi thinking its the fact of how low volume I am but lots of people are recording great low volume clips.

rockstah

Post by rockstah » Fri Nov 17, 2006 5:29 pm

Billy Batz wrote:Im finding it hard to record a guitar clip worth a damn with it thoguh. It might be my mic. Im semi thinking its the fact of how low volume I am but lots of people are recording great low volume clips.
press that mic right onto the grill and turn up your mic input gain.
one thing you dont have tow orry about recording with a guitarport

Billy Batz

Post by Billy Batz » Fri Nov 17, 2006 5:48 pm

Since I sold off all my recording gear a few years back Ive tried several different recording rigs and while theyve worked for some things Ive never been able to get a really great guitar clip samle to post here from any of my amps. Actually the only ones Ive had anything good from were the Champ and Princeton. Their gone! They all just sound very very tiny. And I did turn it up very loud for a few seconds and hit record. It definitely sounded way better but I couldnt play like that. Too many people around me. But I think volume isnt the total reason my clips sound like shit. Its that Im recording the amp low volume in a very bad room. My room is not very big and all tiled floors and stone walls. No good at all. Its bad enough playing in here but recording. Fagetabadit.

rockstah

Post by rockstah » Fri Nov 17, 2006 6:06 pm

Billy Batz wrote:Since I sold off all my recording gear a few years back Ive tried several different recording rigs and while theyve worked for some things Ive never been able to get a really great guitar clip samle to post here from any of my amps. Actually the only ones Ive had anything good from were the Champ and Princeton. Their gone! They all just sound very very tiny. And I did turn it up very loud for a few seconds and hit record. It definitely sounded way better but I couldnt play like that. Too many people around me. But I think volume isnt the total reason my clips sound like shit. Its that Im recording the amp low volume in a very bad room. My room is not very big and all tiled floors and stone walls. No good at all. Its bad enough playing in here but recording. Fagetabadit.
this is what i use
mic sm57
into audio interface - 002r in computer
into protools or nuendo or sound edit - any program that supporst my interface.

sounds like you miss the one essential part - an audio interface.

BashCoder

Post by BashCoder » Fri Nov 17, 2006 6:15 pm

Billy Batz wrote:Im finding it hard to record a guitar clip worth a damn with it thoguh. It might be my mic. Im semi thinking its the fact of how low volume I am but lots of people are recording great low volume clips.
Do you mean you're putting a mic directly into the GuitarPort?

Billy Batz

Post by Billy Batz » Fri Nov 17, 2006 6:21 pm

No. I have the toneport UX2. Same basic thing just more features.

BashCoder

Post by BashCoder » Fri Nov 17, 2006 6:33 pm

Billy Batz wrote:No. I have the toneport UX2. Same basic thing just more features.
duh - right! So maybe the mic pre isn't so good in that? You're using an SM57? Low volume does make recording harder.

Billy Batz

Post by Billy Batz » Fri Nov 17, 2006 6:36 pm

Yeah a 57. Well Ive had other setups too and Ive always had some excuse for why the sound was shitty though the volume and room issues were always in the back of my mind. What it comes down to is, are these mic pre's great? No. But Like all cheap recording gear, people out there prove with enough skill at engineering even on cheap stuff you can turn out great recordings and a totl novice can walk into 20th century studios and not record a single track that sounds pro. In this case I think Im on target. I recorded some acoustic last night and even though the room isnt ideal it still sounded damn good.