Home Recording: Where to Begin?

Techniques for getting your tone to tape.

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, BUG

npminard

Home Recording: Where to Begin?

Post by npminard » Sun Sep 03, 2006 3:10 am

I'd like to start mic'ing my amp and recording it on the computer, but don't know where to start. I already have Cool Edit Pro 2.0 which I know isn't Pro Tools, but I think it should be decent for what I'm doing. I've already used it w/a PC amp simulator w/mediocre results. I have Fruity Loops Studio 5 to work with as well. As far as I know, all I'll need is an instrument mic, but is there anything special that should go in between the PC and the micr? I'd also like to get some recommendations on instrument mics, I've heard good things about Shure SM57's. Also, was curious is running the instrument mic into a laptop (for portability/convenience) is alright as long as it can handle it? Any info welcome, thanks.

Nathaniel

Flames1950

Post by Flames1950 » Sun Sep 03, 2006 7:47 am

The SM57 is probably your best bang for the amount of money it will cost you. Standard for guitar cabs, drums, you could even record a quickie vocal with them. You may even find one used at a local music store, that's how mine came around.
If you aren't concerned with huge numbers of inputs/outputs a good quality soundcard will be fine for gettng the signal into your computer. Creative Labs Audigy cards or some of the M-Audio cards would be good. Some of the other guys may have more ideas too, I'm a little out of the current computer hardware loop. If you want something for both a desktop or laptop look into USB2 or Firewire models that can go where you go.
You'll want a small mixer to go between the low-impedance SM57 and your soundcard too, the Behringer mixers have models with only one or two low-impedance XLR inputs -- I think you can get them well under $100 and they're small enough to fit in a laptop bag if you want. I really would discourage using only a low-to-high impedance transformer instead of a mixer, and the transformer would require adapters to get it down to a 1/8" plug that most soundcards can accept anyway.

I haven't looked into all this stuff for a while, but the good news is that it gets cheaper to get into home recording every day........