Metro Jam

Techniques for getting your tone to tape.

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, BUG

St August

Post by St August » Mon Sep 18, 2006 6:10 pm

Flames1950 wrote:Yeah, Jerry, two months getting the individual tracks in and we want the results RIGHT NOW. :P :P :P :P :P :P
Well Heres the results ..... :D :wink: :wink:

http://www.soundclick.com/util/getplaye ... 51378&q=hi

Intro-----VG
1st solo----VG
2nd solo----St.A
3rd solo---Flames1950 ( Mr Reverb Wink )
4th solo---45Auto
5th solo---tonejones
6th solo---NitroLiq
7th solo---St A
8th solo---JimiJames
9th solo---Chief
10th solo---Flames1950
12th solo----NitroLiq
13th solo---tonejones
14th solo---Nitroliq
ending solos---St.A AND Jimi James HARMONY BACKINGS

NY Chief
Wiki Editor

Post by NY Chief » Mon Sep 18, 2006 7:01 pm

Hey, that's OK. I still think it's a tough change to play over. Personally I prefer the more lyrical stuff like George and Andy did.

Thinking about it. That must have been some "I can shred faster than you" shred fest when they originally recorded the track.

Well anyway it's an honor to be recording with my fellow Metro brothers and thanks Jerry. If nothing else it helped push me along with my recording gear.

"Hey, Ma!! Look no tape. My first digital recording!!"

Now, how about a blues? Hey Andy?
NY Chief 5-0, transplanted in SoCal

"Book 'em, Dan-o!"

Flames1950

Post by Flames1950 » Mon Sep 18, 2006 7:18 pm

I'm up for da blues.......I tossed out enough of a fast lick to hang with the big boys, but it's not truly home turf for me anymore.

And I second the sentiment, it's a privilege to share in this Jam with such fine folks.

Can we post the link as a new thread, and all of us chime back in with guitar and amp info and settings? (Even the settings on your modelers if that's what it took, 'cause they sound pretty damn fine for being "fake!!!")

St August

Post by St August » Mon Sep 18, 2006 7:20 pm

sure

tonejones

Post by tonejones » Mon Sep 18, 2006 11:14 pm

Hey St. August...

Don't wanna gripe, but just wanted to let you know that my first lead (5th) wasn't lined/synced up right........

Great playing everybody.......
Let's get going, 'cause there's too much music, too little time!!!!

45auto

Post by 45auto » Wed Sep 20, 2006 4:16 pm

is there a good way to relate a sync reference? something better than just slappin it in by ear? don't know what he's using software wise. seems like there would be an easy way.
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default ... dID=559714" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://s62.photobucket.com/albums/h119/ ... t=1980.flv" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

St August

Post by St August » Wed Sep 20, 2006 6:09 pm

I would like to apoligize to anyone who didnt think that this Fun Online get together didnt turn out as they had hoped ..I might have missed a placement
or two and thats my fault..I did the best Icould to make sure nobody sounded like a fool or other wise.. I really tried to make sure the clips were aligned properly buy using 2 ponts one at the beginning of the solo part in the rythmn track and the transition point near the end of the rythmn part..
So once again I apoligize if anyone was upset over this... :(

rockstah
Just the numbers in order: 7

Post by rockstah » Wed Sep 20, 2006 6:52 pm

hey Jerry - dont worry about it - the next one will be better - its always about workin out them bugs.

i think what you started here is very kewl!

so you must start to think about how youre going to, in your application( be it nuendo or cubase), align the tracks.
that will entail you knowing how to mark points or beat detect as well as the other people being able to do that on there end. so they can say i started at bar 32 or 2:43 seconds in. and you drop it in at that very point.

as well as making sure everyone is tuning to the same pitch.

in protools or nuendo i would so as follows.

drop the backing track in and then figure out what tempo its at using beat caculate/ beat detective. make sure its synced up correctly in protools before i do any recording.
that way i have the tempo and everything lines up if i go to beat 33 or bar 9.

get on it - you have the next metro jam to host. :)

kudos to all you guys that wailed on the Metro Jam! ;)

Mark

NY Chief
Wiki Editor

Post by NY Chief » Wed Sep 20, 2006 7:07 pm

St August wrote:I would like to apoligize to anyone who didnt think that this Fun Online get together didnt turn out as they had hoped ..I might have missed a placement
or two and thats my fault..I did the best Icould to make sure nobody sounded like a fool or other wise.. I really tried to make sure the clips were aligned properly buy using 2 ponts one at the beginning of the solo part in the rythmn track and the transition point near the end of the rythmn part..
No worries, Jerry. Thanks to YOU for all the effort you put in. The big question is "Was it fun?" if the answer isn't yes well, errr...you know.

It's certainly what I needed to kick my ass in gear with my recording gear.

Thanks, mam. P.S. I've been playing with the blues track..... :twisted:
NY Chief 5-0, transplanted in SoCal

"Book 'em, Dan-o!"

NitroLiq

Post by NitroLiq » Wed Sep 20, 2006 7:26 pm

I did something like this with a friend from Finland once. He had been goofing around with soloing over a blues backing track so I told him to send me the track so I could blow over it. Then, while we were chatting, we decided to cut and splice our solos...I even put a vocal on it (a bad Johnny Winter impression..hah!) and we turned it into a fun little song...came out pretty neat for a few hours of work on a Saturday morning. The thing is, after you do it once, you start to realize the things you could've done different to make things like the mix or synchronization issues and whatever else better...you learn to streamline the process and make for a better workflow. But, this was fun...just to hear little snippets of everyone playing...it's kinda like putting name to the face....or is that a hand to the guitar? :lol:

Flames1950

Post by Flames1950 » Wed Sep 20, 2006 7:29 pm

NY Chief wrote:[
It's certainly what I needed to kick my ass in gear with my recording gear.
Me too, I've been avoiding my recording software until now. And while my second clip was a bit of a rush job I was really happy with how the first came out!!

Plus my buddy that went acoustic and country years ago got to thinking rock n' roll after hearing it!!

NitroLiq

Post by NitroLiq » Wed Sep 20, 2006 7:48 pm

Now, you'll have to make some obligatory JTM100 clips to put with George's other stickies. :twisted:

St August

Post by St August » Wed Sep 20, 2006 9:43 pm

Thanks Guys ..I do have a bit of homework to do.. Nuendo isnt the easist to figure out But Ill just have to do some more reading and experimenting.. :)

tonejones

Post by tonejones » Wed Sep 20, 2006 11:06 pm

St August wrote:I would like to apoligize to anyone who didnt think that this Fun Online get together didnt turn out as they had hoped ..I might have missed a placement
No, no Jerry........(geez), please, PLEASE don't take it like that :oops:

Because believe me, you definitely wouldn't want to hear what it would've sounded like if I did it :cry:

I do appreciate everything you put into this project....it was (first of all) a great freakin' idea, a blast to participate in, and a blast to hear the outcome......

I just didn't know if maybe there was a quick or easy fix (which is what I was trying to say/ask about in my post).....

Sorry again if the was any hint or perception of unappreciation in my last post, (definitely NOT my intent).......

and if so, I do apologize............Peace!!!!

Yours in foot-in-mouth-itis 8)

Tonejones
Let's get going, 'cause there's too much music, too little time!!!!

Flames1950

Post by Flames1950 » Wed Sep 20, 2006 11:45 pm

NitroLiq wrote:But, this was fun...just to hear little snippets of everyone playing...it's kinda like putting name to the face....or is that a hand to the guitar? :lol:
It was very interesting in that respect....."Hey, over 5000 posts and Flames can actually PLAY? And here we thought he was full of, um, crap......" :lol: :lol: :lol: