Metro Jam

Techniques for getting your tone to tape.

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, BUG

Flames1950

Post by Flames1950 » Sat Sep 16, 2006 9:28 pm

NY Chief wrote: Ahhh my shit sucks. I couldn't come up with anything that felt good and then when I did get a inkling I couldn't even that down clean or on time.
Dude, I think my first clip took 41 takes to get to a point where I was only mildly embarrassed........clip two was on take 39 and it's butt simple!!!!

I bet my neighbors hate my guts, Metro Marshall clones cranked to ten and played the same damn thing over and over again for two hours at a time!!!

:twisted:

NY Chief
Wiki Editor

Post by NY Chief » Sat Sep 16, 2006 10:53 pm

Flames1950 wrote:
NY Chief wrote: Ahhh my shit sucks. I couldn't come up with anything that felt good and then when I did get a inkling I couldn't even that down clean or on time.
Dude, I think my first clip took 41 takes to get to a point where I was only mildly embarrassed........clip two was on take 39 and it's butt simple!!!!

I bet my neighbors hate my guts, Metro Marshall clones cranked to ten and played the same damn thing over and over again for two hours at a time!!!

:twisted:
Yeah, double :evil: :evil: THAT, Andy!
NY Chief 5-0, transplanted in SoCal

"Book 'em, Dan-o!"

NitroLiq

Post by NitroLiq » Sun Sep 17, 2006 12:01 am

I heard yours Flame when Jerry sent me an early version (when it was just, me, you and him...haha)...It kinda had a priest or maiden vibe to it with the harmony guitar parts...not bad at all. I think it's cool having diverse takes...look at the original song...maiden and brad gillis to yngwie and lynch...spectrum of metal guitar from simple to shred. It's all good. :lol:

Flames1950

Post by Flames1950 » Sun Sep 17, 2006 7:23 am

NitroLiq wrote:I heard yours Flame when Jerry sent me an early version (when it was just, me, you and him...haha)...It kinda had a priest or maiden vibe to it with the harmony guitar parts...not bad at all. I think it's cool having diverse takes...look at the original song...maiden and brad gillis to yngwie and lynch...spectrum of metal guitar from simple to shred. It's all good. :lol:
So YOU'RE the two that were kicking my rear end in those early three segment samples...........BUSTED.

I always did have a soft spot for Iron Maiden in high school........originally that harmony thing started as a variation on the old "5-b7 triplet" blues slide lick, I guess it just got twisted from there, something said "harmonize me." That's why the vibrato is so heavy on there, for that almost-slide-sound, but in some ways it can almost come across as out-of-tune........ :roll:

St August

Post by St August » Sun Sep 17, 2006 8:55 am

NitroLiq wrote:I heard yours Flame when Jerry sent me an early version (when it was just, me, you and him...haha)...It kinda had a priest or maiden vibe to it with the harmony guitar parts...not bad at all. I think it's cool having diverse takes...look at the original song...maiden and brad gillis to yngwie and lynch...spectrum of metal guitar from simple to shred. It's all good. :lol:
Dont for get Donald "Buck" Darhma who does the last solo and Eddie Ojeada

NitroLiq

Post by NitroLiq » Sun Sep 17, 2006 10:49 am

Flames1950 wrote:So YOU'RE the two that were kicking my rear end in those early three segment samples...........BUSTED.
Ewps! Caught! :D Jerry's is the really heavily chorused one. Mine's the other. I ended up going back and re-doing that take as Jerry just cut it out of a long take over the entire track...always screwed it up in some area. That's the one I spent so much time re-doing. The funny thing is, I worked out an entirely different one, submitted it. Then yesterday, since he needed another one, I blasted out the original version in less than 10 minutes...it's better than the one I slaved over in both playing and sound. :lol: Hey...at least you used a real amp!!

I've never really been a metal metal player...more into classic rock and grunge...that sort of stuff...and guys like EJ or steve morse for technical playing...can't play like them. I just learned little things here and there from the metal players to keep up with the other players in high school. I remember a friend of mine at the time, playing for a year, and he's double picking everything...playing yngwie and all that...writing songs...and he was a couple years younger....I was still playing the same old stuff i had been playing for 6 yrs...had to branch out. Vai and Satch, when they came out, was when I really got into it...I like Vai's crazy noodly solos and satch...well when satch boogie first came out...it was a relief to hear someone shred but keep it more bluesy and less harmonic minor. Same with this local guy, Dave Scott, a few of us have reminisced about.

Maybe, the next jam we can do something like Allman Bros./Govt. Mule's "Soulshine". 8)

Flames1950

Post by Flames1950 » Sun Sep 17, 2006 12:04 pm

I think it would be a blast to keep doing these in different styles every couple of months, keep us all on our toes!!!

I thought Jerry said he went guitar straight into the Retro-Valve, was the chorus from the "board"? I was blaming you for the chorused parts!!!

I know what you mean about having to learn enough to keep up with the other guys.......I was supposed to be the hotshot player back in high school (probably all that saved me from getting beat up or something!!!) but my buddy Joe that was the other guitar player in my band got to where he could sit down and practice something for a couple of days and just RIP on it.......I was never that disciplined, I had to find ways to stay flashy enough so that I didn't sound like I was falling behind!!! Funny, Joe went all acoustic in his last couple of years of college, now he writes country songs on the side. I'll be sending this jam track to him, maybe it will inspire him to leave the shit-kickin' behind and buy a damn Marshall and Les Paul again!!! (But in all honesty he really enjoys the songwriting, and I'm not sure even he knows when it went country on him....... :roll: )

St August

Post by St August » Sun Sep 17, 2006 12:19 pm

Flames1950 wrote:I think it would be a blast to keep doing these in different styles every couple of months, keep us all on our toes!!!

I thought Jerry said he went guitar straight into the Retro-Valve, was the chorus from the "board"? I was blaming you for the chorused parts!!!

I know what you mean about having to learn enough to keep up with the other guys.......I was supposed to be the hotshot player back in high school (probably all that saved me from getting beat up or something!!!) but my buddy Joe that was the other guitar player in my band got to where he could sit down and practice something for a couple of days and just RIP on it.......I was never that disciplined, I had to find ways to stay flashy enough so that I didn't sound like I was falling behind!!! Funny, Joe went all acoustic in his last couple of years of college, now he writes country songs on the side. I'll be sending this jam track to him, maybe it will inspire him to leave the shit-kickin' behind and buy a damn Marshall and Les Paul again!!! (But in all honesty he really enjoys the songwriting, and I'm not sure even he knows when it went country on him....... :roll: )
Hell it takes a couple of months for you guys to get your clips in :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

NitroLiq

Post by NitroLiq » Sun Sep 17, 2006 12:45 pm

Flames1950 wrote:I was blaming you for the chorused parts!!!

Nah, mine just has thick delay, bit of verb, and the second one has a slow EVH (barely perceptible) phase thing going on. I can understand your friend's change of direction.

I've kinda been going through the same sort of thing as your bud...well, not so much country music (though I dig country licks and chicken pickin')...just getting back into jam band type stuff (ala spin doctors) and learning a lot of covers...radiohead, oasis, STP, prince, beatles, peter gabriel, etc. ...stuff I never would've spent much time on as a kid....too busy playing along with "The Song Remains the Same" soundtrack. :lol: Now, I'm just back trying to expand my musical vocabulary, so to speak...I blame Warren Haynes. Gotta love a guy that can go from covering zep and radiohead into a 20 minute jam on Coltrane's "Afro Blue." :wink:

MacGaden
Wiki Editor
Just the numbers in order: 7

Post by MacGaden » Sun Sep 17, 2006 1:52 pm

So.. When can we hear the finished results ?
MacG.

"Play it right, Dad ! No More Dwiddely Dwiddely !
My son Adam at 3 years old. Best advice I ever got..

Flames1950

Post by Flames1950 » Sun Sep 17, 2006 1:56 pm

Jerry said he was still waiting for Trampy and JimiJames (who apparently assured him that tracks would be on the way?)

But you and your son are gonna hear some serious dwiddely-dwiddely.

NitroLiq

Post by NitroLiq » Sun Sep 17, 2006 2:09 pm

Yup! Wheedlie-wheedlie-wheedlie-wheeeee!! :lol:

MacGaden
Wiki Editor
Just the numbers in order: 7

Post by MacGaden » Sun Sep 17, 2006 2:10 pm

Very cool ! I love dwiddely dwiddely...

The remark from my son came after I
MacG.

"Play it right, Dad ! No More Dwiddely Dwiddely !
My son Adam at 3 years old. Best advice I ever got..

St August

Post by St August » Sun Sep 17, 2006 4:33 pm

checking email right now to see if I got anything

St August

Post by St August » Sun Sep 17, 2006 4:43 pm

Nothing yet.. so If I dont have anything by 7 I will host it on my soundclick site... when the other 2 get theres to me iwill insert them and send it to george to host ...