Pro Tools, Plug Ins & 3rd party Apps

Techniques for getting your tone to tape.

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, BUG

NY Chief
Wiki Editor

Pro Tools, Plug Ins & 3rd party Apps

Post by NY Chief » Thu May 25, 2006 1:07 pm

Still chugging up the steep learning curve.

I just got done loading all the plugins and demos that came with PT (Ableton Live, Reason, BFD, Amplitube, Sample Tank, Tracks EQ, Melodyne Uno). Any suggestions on how to set them up in the directory? Under a folder called "Plug Ins" or "Recording Apps". Right now they using the install expert they are under the program files. What's the best way to organize this mess?
NY Chief 5-0, transplanted in SoCal

"Book 'em, Dan-o!"

rockstah
Just the numbers in order: 7

Post by rockstah » Thu May 25, 2006 1:13 pm

not sure what yer asking here?

NY Chief
Wiki Editor

Post by NY Chief » Thu May 25, 2006 1:25 pm

Well to be honest, Mark I'm trying to figure out how use all this shit! Basic question is how to apply this stuff within the PT format.

As loaded by the auto install when the CD fires up they are all currently in the same directory as PT and all the other apps in PC. Nero, my graphics driver, etc. I'ts a PITA to search through to find them because the al in alphabetical order. My instinct is to group all of these apps under one folder heading "Music production" or some shit.

Then next is how do I use them? :oops: Obviuosly some are plugins but I don't see them as a choice when I'm in a track input and want to insert a plug in.

Also, does Reason and Ableton work independantly then I midi thier out to PT? My brain hurts!!!

Thanks, Mark. I know you got this stuff down pretty good.

"Book 'em, Dan-o!"

NitroLiq

Post by NitroLiq » Thu May 25, 2006 2:20 pm

The way I keep everything organized is to create HD partitions...(160GB HD split into 19GB partitions). For most apps, I just install them into my C partition where the OS is. Another partition (D) is just for all my pro audio applications, plugins, etc. The remaining partitions are used for files/projects (audio, video, graphic). It's not going to matter should you have to do a clean install of XP as you'll have to reinstall all your programs again but it's nice for organizational purposes and keeps your files safe so you only have to reformat a couple of partitions. That being said, you can install everything in one place like you did. Just make desktop shortcuts to the apps you need at hand. As far as plugins and PT go. Something that basic should be in the manual/documentation, no?

NY Chief
Wiki Editor

Post by NY Chief » Thu May 25, 2006 2:47 pm

Thanks, Nitro.

[quote="Something that basic should be in the manual/documentation, no?[/quote]

You gotta see all the docs that come with this plus all the 3rd party books and vids I bought to get me goin'. I could start a Pro Tools librbay!!

"Book 'em, Dan-o!"

NitroLiq

Post by NitroLiq » Thu May 25, 2006 3:19 pm

Well, there must be a chapter on plugins or effects somewhere. :) Here's something on using reason (configuring rewire) with PT:

http://www.propellerheads.se/support/re ... 1#versions

Another article on Ableton Live and PT:

http://www.digidesign.com/digizine/dz_m ... &navid=504

Bunch of pro tools tutorials including effects (this is for PT 5.1, though):

http://myweb.lmu.edu/rpardee/PT/START/t ... ntents.htm

I've only done basic tracking with PT in the past and haven't gotten into it any further than that. The genral effects concept if PT follows a recording console, is you have inserts and auxilliary sends. Inserts are for dynamics (compressors, gates, eqs, etc). The aux sends are where you would put time-based processors (delays, verbs, phase, chorus, etc.). Really, you just have to take a step back...go get a coffee with your manuals or quick start if there is one, and get to reading...you dont have to read the entire thing...get the basics of recording/playback down. And read up on using inserts/aux sends and plugins.

NY Chief
Wiki Editor

Post by NY Chief » Thu May 25, 2006 3:40 pm

Thanks, again. I'll check 'em out. You're right. I'm trying to do too much at once. I need to step back and take it a step at a time. But, I DON"T WANNA!!! :D

"Book 'em, Dan-o!"

rockstah

Post by rockstah » Thu May 25, 2006 5:56 pm

looks like u have some food for thought already. ;)

NY Chief
Wiki Editor

Post by NY Chief » Thu May 25, 2006 11:56 pm

Yeah, too f'n much, Mark!!

Here's the latest...the plug ins I installed are in the proper path per the sweeetwater answer base but they do not show up as an option in my inouts. THe audio suite stuff is there but not the other. didg's answerbase is useless on the subject as well.

"Book 'em, Dan-o!"

rockstah

Post by rockstah » Fri May 26, 2006 12:13 am

NY Chief wrote:Yeah, too f'n much, Mark!!

Here's the latest...the plug ins I installed are in the proper path per the sweeetwater answer base but they do not show up as an option in my inouts. THe audio suite stuff is there but not the other. didg's answerbase is useless on the subject as well.
which plugin is not working for you?

NY Chief
Wiki Editor

Post by NY Chief » Fri May 26, 2006 12:35 pm

The one I've been trying to play with is BFD drums but all the others I installed that came with the PT "Ignition Pack" don't show as well...

Ableton Live, Reason, BFD, Amplitube, Sample Tank, Tracks EQ, Melodyne Uno.

"Book 'em, Dan-o!"

rockstah

Post by rockstah » Fri May 26, 2006 1:05 pm

NY Chief wrote:The one I've been trying to play with is BFD drums but all the others I installed that came with the PT "Ignition Pack" don't show as well...

Ableton Live, Reason, BFD, Amplitube, Sample Tank, Tracks EQ, Melodyne Uno.
man u have alot of work to do here. :)

some of these are midi instruments and some are standalone rewire instruments.

reason, ableton will launch and run in background via rewire.
bfd, amplitude are plugins u pull up.

i cant sit here and explain it all but if u pick one at a time i maybe able to help. ;)

Mark

NY Chief
Wiki Editor

Post by NY Chief » Fri May 26, 2006 3:15 pm

I would appreciate any help I can get , Mark! :shock: I really wanna get the drum thing going so I can pit down some rythmns and jam over. I saw something on the sweetwater help site that said the path is critical for PT to be able to find the apps. I just read something this morning at digi's DUC that said THAT path may be wrong. Maybe I'm not as lame as feel right now.

So what's your take? How can I access the BFD app anf get some beats playin'?

Thanks!!

"Book 'em, Dan-o!"

rockstah

Post by rockstah » Fri May 26, 2006 3:42 pm

NY Chief wrote:I would appreciate any help I can get , Mark! :shock: I really wanna get the drum thing going so I can pit down some rythmns and jam over. I saw something on the sweetwater help site that said the path is critical for PT to be able to find the apps. I just read something this morning at digi's DUC that said THAT path may be wrong. Maybe I'm not as lame as feel right now.

So what's your take? How can I access the BFD app anf get some beats playin'?

Thanks!!
lets see - when installing a plugin like BFD( whats this app called.. i mean what does BFD stand for again? ) it should be installed in your digidesign protools plugin folder.
its a midi instrument.
create a midi track.
pull it up on the insert.
take your midi controller (keyboard) and play the different drums.

r ya with me?

NitroLiq

Post by NitroLiq » Fri May 26, 2006 5:35 pm

BFD = Big F'n Drums :wink:

Chief, here's an article that goes through the setup of BFD as either RTAS (realtime audio suite) or via rewire in PT:

http://www.audiomidi.com/classroom/prot ... ner_04.cfm
http://www.audiomidi.com/classroom/prot ... ner_05.cfm

You DO realize there's no escape from reading the manual, don't you? :lol: Start simple and build up to multiple plugins.