Converters RME DELTA LYNX MOTU what are your faves?

Techniques for getting your tone to tape.

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, BUG

Myopic Void...

Converters RME DELTA LYNX MOTU what are your faves?

Post by Myopic Void... » Fri Feb 24, 2006 1:04 pm

What converters do you folks prefer... and why? I am thinking of upgrading to the lynx 8 channel interface or Motu.

Cheers,

Eric

NitroLiq

Post by NitroLiq » Fri Feb 24, 2006 1:38 pm

RME or apogee.

VelvetGeorge
Site Owner
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Post by VelvetGeorge » Fri Feb 24, 2006 2:01 pm

I had the original MOTU 2408 and it was pretty bad. I'm sure they have improved, though. I do think that the Lynx is head and shoulders above it.

I'm very happy with my RME card. I would like to try clocking to a better clock at some point though. Just to hear the difference.

george
Check out Plexi Replicas for my personal amp builds...

Myopic Void..

Post by Myopic Void.. » Fri Feb 24, 2006 9:25 pm

George & Nitroliq- Do you think the RME can stand on its own against the Lynx and Apogee stuff?

Cheaper I know (List 799.00) but what do think of the M-Delta 1010 rackmount unit compared to the RME products?

I need 4 channels of something really good for the Moby M-5 Mobile 4trk unit.

Cheers,

Eric

VelvetGeorge
Site Owner

Post by VelvetGeorge » Sat Feb 25, 2006 11:43 am

I'm not sure. I've heard great things about the Delta stuff, but I haven't heard them personally.

George
Check out Plexi Replicas for my personal amp builds...

mightymike

Post by mightymike » Sat Feb 25, 2006 6:44 pm

I just got a RME Multiface2. I'm just waiting on some mounting hardware for my mixer to go in my new slant top road case rack thingamabob. For 799 I was able to get the RME Mutiface2 with the 130mb/sec PC card incuded. Supposedly a faster transfer rate than Fire wire.
Apoggee was just out of my price rage at $3000 plus, and the RME stuff is German built and very close in quality to the Apoggee. IMHO.

One of these days I'll buy or build a Neve.
Or maybe I'll barter for one :roll:

George gave me mic preamp GAS.
Brainzy gave me build your own pedal GAS.
I'm very happy with my RME card. I would like to try clocking to a better clock at some point though. Just to hear the difference.
My drummer has a MOTU midi time piece. Would using the MTP with my RME Multiface 2 be a good thing?

NitroLiq

Post by NitroLiq » Sun Feb 26, 2006 2:53 pm

Myopic Void.. wrote:George & Nitroliq- Do you think the RME can stand on its own against the Lynx and Apogee stuff?—Eric
It really depends on price and what your ears tell you using the various converters. Some folks won't hear much of a difference between the various high-end converters. Some folks will just use whatever and run the tracks through the i/os on an analog deck to warm it up. If you're willing to pay in the $1-2K range, you can't beat RME, especially the ones on the Fireface. If you want top-tier specific converters, then Apogee. That being said, there are loads of preamps with good converters nowadays...If I was looking at a good preamp set up...something like an Avalon 737 would be great but also expensive...focusrite, lexicon, joe meek, presonus, mackie, etc. You can find preamps with decent converters in many price ranges.

I'm personally fan of the RME Fireface800...preamps...well...haven't had the chance to do a shootout with loads of different ones but I've heard tracks done through various preamps and they sound great....I would lean towards vintage neve sound as that's what I prefer...1073 modules.