Multi-amp and DRY Wet setups using what I have..

Techniques for getting your tone to tape.

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, BUG

mightymike
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Multi-amp and DRY Wet setups using what I have..

Post by mightymike » Wed Feb 15, 2006 9:22 am

..Until I get a power amp and PC7O and run a separate wet dry

I never use my 67 SUper Reverb anymore, and I'd like to run it in a multiamp setup with a Half Stack Plexi. When I've done this before, there have been some noise problems. It's probably becuase of the proximity of the amps to each other, where I was standing/facing , the way I had them hooked up, which was with the Y that came with my Swamp ASH/KOA/Maple Neck HSS Custom Shop Brian Moore. At the time I was running the Piezo Side to The Super Reverb, and the regular pickups to the Plexi. It was fun for a while, but the novelty has worn off, and I would really like to just go with the regular magnetic pickups to both amps, daisy chained, Dry On the Plexi side cept for a Normaly Off Phaser In Front (for occasional Rush or VH). reverb on 3 on the SR. I could put my TMB in front of the SR too. Haven't Decided which Delay (rack or Pedal) To go with, and where to put it, but it will be normally off as well. I usually play pretty dry. The dynamics almost have a chorus like effect, so I don't anticipate ever needing a chorus.

I was hoping that daisy chaining might help with noise verses the Y method, but will the First amp color the tone? Also isn't daisy chaining done by brdging the channels, Then running anothwer cable from the hole underneath. I would think that would cause more noise problems if anything. Should I run a Common Ground from the SR Chasis and to The Plexi Chassis?

I also have a mixer and RME The multiface2.
Maybe they could go in between.

What do these guys, that have like 10 amps, do to keep down the interference.

VelvetGeorge
Site Owner

Post by VelvetGeorge » Wed Feb 15, 2006 11:54 am

To do multi-amp setups well, you really need a buffer/isolation box of some sort. Someone traded me a Kendrick amp switcher a while back that works great. Check out Radial, they make lots of great pedal/amp/switching type solutions. I think there's a Peter Frampton box too.

You should be able to daisy chain two amps to good affect. Try doing like Hendrix did, with the guitar into the top left input and from the lower left input to the next amp.
Turn both amps on and measure for AC between the chassis. Or plug both into a GFI outlet and touch both. If there's a problem, the GFI should trip.

Let me know how it goes. You're into the SRV setup land now.

G
Check out Plexi Replicas for my personal amp builds...

mightymike

Post by mightymike » Wed Feb 15, 2006 12:28 pm

I wonder if I can use one of my pedals as a poor man's buffer/ check valve if you will.. by ptting myTMB boost or my Strobo Stomp in between the 1st and 2nd amp. Or maybe I can use the true by pass and y it before, but still have the benifit of the gate/check vavle.

I think one of them only allows flow in one directiion.

I'll have to check out that Framptone switcher.
Where's the Metro Amp switcher?

My pedals squeal when I bridge channels, but that is with channels 2 volume on. If I have Vol 2 set to 0, in a daisy chain set up, hopfully I won't have that prob again. I don't normally use Vol 2 anyways.

Thanks for the tips.
Last edited by mightymike on Wed Feb 15, 2006 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Flames1950

Post by Flames1950 » Wed Feb 15, 2006 3:40 pm

I agree with needing some type of buffer/splitter. I've never managed to daisy-chain my Marshalls and Fenders without obnoxious noise issues. The hum sounded like a Strat under a fluorescent fixture next to a CRT monitor, but I was playing humbuckers..... :shock: :shock: :shock:

rockstah
Just the numbers in order: 7

Post by rockstah » Wed Feb 15, 2006 3:42 pm

Flames1950 wrote:The hum sounded like a Strat under a fluorescent fixture next to a CRT monitor, but I was playing humbuckers..... :shock: :shock: :shock:
that all? :lol: funny description there!
Mark

Post by Guest » Wed Feb 15, 2006 8:58 pm

At over $220 for either kind, all I have to say is ouch, and the amp switching business must be good. How hard could it be to make one?
Too bad George doesn't see a kit for us poor folk.

Zoso

Post by Zoso » Wed Feb 15, 2006 9:21 pm

Is it just chaining Marshalls and Fenders together that cause the noise problems? Cause I saw a band about a month ago, and the guitar palyer had two JTM45's chained together like George described. At first I thought it was just for looks, but the sound guy said that he was running both during the show. Kind of overkill for the venue, but it did sound full. And there were no noise issues that I could tell.
What good is my wisdom
When there are no words to say
How I feel everday ?

MacGaden
Wiki Editor

Post by MacGaden » Wed Feb 15, 2006 9:32 pm

You have a ground loop, two grounds somewhere in your set-up.

I´ve used this in an earlier version: http://www.lehle.com/frameset.php?count ... k=products

It´s really only a transformer, but it has to be a good one. Maybe someone here can advice ?

And I have had good results live and in the studio with this:

http://www.hughes-and-kettner.com/produ ... rod&id=110

Ran it to the mixer, to add effects. Kept a mike on the speaker at the same time. In smaller places I just used the red box to the mixer for stereo effects.
MacG.

"Play it right, Dad ! No More Dwiddely Dwiddely !
My son Adam at 3 years old. Best advice I ever got..

Flames1950

Post by Flames1950 » Wed Feb 15, 2006 10:17 pm

If all you want is a switcher, the DIY A/B switch on Fulltone's website works very well, and has never caused me noise problems. But daisy chaining the amps together seems to cause lots of ground loop problems; the switcher never did, even though you'd think the signal grounds and amp grounds would be similarly coupled........even a good stereo chorus may buffer things enough to split the signal without problems if you've got one to try (it would be one of the few uses I have for one :D .)

I have an older version of the Red Box from my last band, sounded OK if your sound wasn't terribly bright, but much better with some mic in there.

rockstah

Post by rockstah » Wed Feb 15, 2006 10:35 pm

Flames1950 wrote:If all you want is a switcher, the DIY A/B switch on Fulltone's website works very well, and has never caused me noise problems. But daisy chaining the amps together seems to cause lots of ground loop problems; the switcher never did, even though you'd think the signal grounds and amp grounds would be similarly coupled........even a good stereo chorus may buffer things enough to split the signal without problems if you've got one to try (it would be one of the few uses I have for one :D .)

I have an older version of the Red Box from my last band, sounded OK if your sound wasn't terribly bright, but much better with some mic in there.
i used to have the red box - sounded pretty decent from what i remember ;)

Flames1950

Post by Flames1950 » Wed Feb 15, 2006 10:44 pm

It was kinda easy to get a fizzy bright sound with it if you weren't careful, at least when taking an out straight off the board to record from. It needed a mic'ed sound or room ambience to fill it out, but if you were careful the sound was pretty good.

rockstah

Post by rockstah » Wed Feb 15, 2006 10:46 pm

Flames1950 wrote:It was kinda easy to get a fizzy bright sound with it if you weren't careful, at least when taking an out straight off the board to record from. It needed a mic'ed sound or room ambience to fill it out, but if you were careful the sound was pretty good.
totally agree with that!

Flames1950

Post by Flames1950 » Wed Feb 15, 2006 10:47 pm

Back to subject, I don't think I had near as many noise issues running two Marshalls together as a Marshall and a Fender. Maybe it was because my Fenders still have the polarity switches hooked up even with a three-prong cord (I know, I know :shock: ) thus causing different ground potentials or something.......... :?: :?:

mightymike

Post by mightymike » Fri Feb 17, 2006 7:00 am

What about a marhall and a Power amp in a rack for the second cab?
Also can I make that poweramp serve double duty as a PA, as well as be for the second Marshall wet Cab, or do I have to get separate power amps?

I'm looking at Poweramps right now trying to decide which way I'm going to go. I have an 8 space rackmount case with Soundcrfaft Mixer on a slant on top, with a Furman Power Conditioner, and RME Multiface 2
that goes to my laptop.
(So 5 spaces will be available after I get a PCM 70

The Goal being: Porta Studio/PA/Wet Dry Guitar rig in a box to along side my Half Stack cranked and attenuated to usually -12db

JasonC

Post by JasonC » Fri Feb 17, 2006 12:16 pm

I run a 2 cab wet/dry rig by comming out of the line out of the hotplate through the goop and into a power amp. Works great!