I just ordered one of these...

Techniques for getting your tone to tape.

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, BUG

VelvetGeorge
Site Owner
Just the numbers in order: 13492

I just ordered one of these...

Post by VelvetGeorge » Sun Jan 29, 2006 4:48 pm

http://www.seventhcirclestudios.com/SCA/SCA.htm

the 1272 kit. Looks cool. And cheaper than a real 1272 module at around $600. I'll post my progress and findings on the kit.

I just can't stand the Muckie pres any longer. I really need to capture the sound of my amps, if I'm going to sell them online.
It's a leap of faith to buy an amp without playing it first as it is. Let alone, to not at least here it represented properly.

Sounds like a great excuse for me to invest in some recording gear....

George
Last edited by VelvetGeorge on Sun Jan 29, 2006 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Check out Plexi Replicas for my personal amp builds...

rockstah
Just the numbers in order: 7

Post by rockstah » Sun Jan 29, 2006 5:01 pm

george with all due respect i would think you would get a apogee or a 002r or a RME card with good ad/da converters for your computer before you would build a kit preamp? - i mean it looks cool and all but who knows what it sounds like? - my 2 cents.

Mark

VelvetGeorge
Site Owner

Post by VelvetGeorge » Sun Jan 29, 2006 5:06 pm

I have the RME Multiface card now. Very nice convertors IMO.

I looked at my setup and felt that mic pres were the weak link. I'm really opposed to buying any middle of the road gear, I'd rather wait any get a real Neve.

But I did look at the RNP as a temporary solution. And I thought I would give this a try. My thought is that I can modify if necessary and I know the transformers are fairly high quality.

We'll see if my theory holds water.

george

rockstah

Post by rockstah » Sun Jan 29, 2006 5:07 pm

i hear ya there - i kind of misread that thinking only the card - my 002r has its built in pres so yeah i look forward to see what you come up with.
Mark

tonejones

Post by tonejones » Mon Jan 30, 2006 1:01 am

But I did look at the RNP as a temporary solution. And I thought I would give this a try. My thought is that I can modify if necessary and I know the transformers are fairly high quality.
If they're anywhere near the quality of the RNCs, how could ya go wrong????
Let's get going, 'cause there's too much music, too little time!!!!

BashCoder

Post by BashCoder » Mon Jan 30, 2006 1:33 am

Yeah, of all those options I'd get their N72 preamp too. Haven't used alot of 1272's, but tons of 1073's and 1066's. In my experience, the Neve preamp sound is absolutely essential to recording guitar amps, so I can definitely validate your excuse to buy recording gear! The EQ in a 1073 is really sweet for guitar too.

My favorite recording chain that follows is a Tube Tech compressor into a Tube Tech program EQ. But a dbx 160 is great price/performance compressor for guitar (but I'm sure you knew that already!).

Please let us know how your build goes.

VelvetGeorge
Site Owner

Post by VelvetGeorge » Mon Jan 30, 2006 8:08 am

I'll keep you updated on this. If it's as good as it looks, $324 per channel is pretty damn good.

I will need to use my own enclosure so I can add DI inputs.

Of course, this is all just to get me by until I can afford a pair of 1081's. $8k......OUCH!

VG

Flames1950

Post by Flames1950 » Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:32 pm

I've been mulling this a bit in my head, and not to stop you from getting some quality recording gear for home/shop use, but I honestly think for prospective buyers to truly hear these amps at their best, maybe some actual studio time in a good room is the best representation. I think that may be the best way to prove that your amps are truly on par with the vintage gear everyone hears on the records, and truly a notch above everything else out there right now.
If they click the link and the sound of the amp explodes just like cranking Back In Black, what amp are you gonna buy??

VelvetGeorge
Site Owner

Post by VelvetGeorge » Wed Feb 01, 2006 12:08 am

I couldn't agree more. There's no substitute for a pro studio.
And if I'm going to sell amps over the internet, they need to be well represented.
Better than I can do with a cab in my spare bedroom.

I'll move this up on my priority list.

VG

VelvetGeorge
Site Owner

Post by VelvetGeorge » Fri Feb 03, 2006 11:56 am

Hey, I got the kit yesterday and opened it up today. Very nice stuff. Hopefully I can put it together over the weekend. I promised myself I wouldn't pay with it until I have my orders shipped and amps finished.....

george

NitroLiq

Post by NitroLiq » Fri Feb 03, 2006 12:37 pm

mightymike

Post by mightymike » Sat Feb 04, 2006 6:46 am

An anonymous ad in your local Classifiied for some players that can nail VH, Hendrix, and Page, SRV, or insert your favorite artists (here)
I bet they're a dime a dozen in a highly poulated area like Detriot.

Then get them into a pro studio, and create the best sound clip page
ever, showing the versatiltiy, and dead on signature tones your amps can get, along with sound clips from other who used your amps, or built kits.

If you want to make it fun, you could have a contest here to find players to make your clips, although you might hurt feelings that way. An anonymous ad might be safer.

Either way I would get it done sooner than later.
With all your exposer lately, I think it's critical
for first impressions now more than ever.

Bainzy

Post by Bainzy » Sat Feb 04, 2006 7:51 am

That N72 does look really cool, I've been actually contemplating getting it while I'm at uni.
"I want to know what happened to the plans they sent you"

Shred Guitar
Plexi Mods - now with new forum, please join!

VelvetGeorge
Site Owner

Post by VelvetGeorge » Sun Feb 05, 2006 2:23 pm

I got up early and put my kit together. Really nice. One complaint, the instructions are only online. ***KARMA***
I had to keep running over to the computer.

This thing really sounds cool! It does have some Neve flavor to it too! I'll likely pick up another one so I can have a pair for drum overheads and stuff.

I've reamped some old tracks through it and I'll put up a clip soon. If I don't run out of time before the Superbowl starts...

VG
Attachments
N72 kit.jpg
(68.45 KiB) Downloaded 1218 times

VelvetGeorge
Site Owner

Post by VelvetGeorge » Sun Feb 05, 2006 2:44 pm

Here's a clip I made from some old multitracks. I muted the lead vocals, they were pretty bad. But I didn't turn down the reverb send so you can hear them in there.

These tracks were pretty sterile so I ran the guitar parts, bass and keys each out through the pre one at a time, and recorded them back into Logic.

The drums have been replaced (kick, snare, toms) with Drumagog. And the original snare is compressed and mixed in as well.

The reverb is the EMT plate from the UAD1 FX card. I used a lot of other plugs on there too. The LA2A is across the main buss. The 1176 is on bass.

Enjoy,

VG
Attachments
Losin U instr 2-5-06.mp3
(5.05 MiB) Downloaded 1380 times