Here's Some Funny Shit

Techniques for getting your tone to tape.

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, BUG

flemingmras
Just the numbers in order: 7

Here's Some Funny Shit

Post by flemingmras » Mon Nov 21, 2005 5:52 pm

I did a gig yesterday and halfway through the gig I noticed one of my 15s wasn't producing the amount of volume that it should compared to my other 15.

So today I took that 15 out of the cab and ohmed it out. It read 6.5 ohms DC resistance(8 ohm unit). So I put a battery across it and it would push out, but when I reversed the battery it wouldn't pull in. A quick look at the cone and the cone became seperated from the spider(the according looking brown thing that holds the cone and voice coil centered)! I've NEVER seen that shit happen LOL!

Anyone else have any funny component failure stories out there?

Jon
There's just that fine line between stupid and clever - Nigel Tufnel

S Cubed Sound

BW 18

Post by S Cubed Sound » Mon Feb 27, 2006 7:27 pm

When I first purchased some equipment used, one of the 4 18s was in the shop getting reconed. A month later, I got it back, installed it, no time to test before a show... 1st set, the dust cap fell off. 18 stopped working. Took it back to the place to get it done again. Picked up a loaner EV while waiting. 9 months later I got a call telling me that it was done. Never got around to picking it up for another 2 months after that. (day job kept me busy) Got a call from a friend that there is a sale and my 18 was on the table. Picked up the BW for free, paid 75 for the EV to keep as a spare. Installed it thinking its working ok. POP...POP...POP! No kick drum for Friday night. Saturday morning, went to the bar with the EV to reinstall it. The BW was poorly reconed again. The surround was dipping in and the cone was already in a negative travel at rest (about 1/4"). I'm not going to bother taking it back a 3rd time. Might take them 1.5 years to get it done this time.

S Cubed Sound

Deaf Musicians???

Post by S Cubed Sound » Mon Feb 27, 2006 7:50 pm

Had a Friday show that went great. Saturday, the bar owner asked if I could keep the opening band a little quieter while the dinner crowd was finishing up. No problem. The headlining band had a louder stage volume the night before. Thinking everything was still set ok, we jumped right into the show with the opening band. I had just picked up a new Mackie 1604 VLZ pro and didn't realize that the gain was very NON-LINEAR. Especially around the 12:00 range. The main slider is the same way. Unless you pump it towards the U. It goes from nothing to screaming to clipping in a matter of 1.5 inches. My 32x4 VLZ pro is more linear and that's what I was used to running prior to this show. After the 1st 2 songs, the guitarist told me he heard nothing from the mains. I had a hard time believing that until I checked it out myself. I started pulling cables like a mad man thinking something fried. After their set, the bar owner thanked me for keeping the volume down. The other band asked me how I got the first band sounding so good. I just told them they knew how to keep their stage volume down to a managable level and let me do all the work from the house. After that, the bass and guitar decided to side wash. The guiratist also unplugged half his stack. Now they can hear how loud the monitor mix was from the night before and asked if I could turn it down. I didn't have it in me to tell them that all I had running on the first band was monitors for vox and no mains.

marshman

Post by marshman » Sat Mar 11, 2006 8:52 pm

A few years ago a party-DJ guy was getting out of the biz. He didn't have a lot of interesting schtuff, but there were a pair of pretty new EV PA mains, 15" w/horns, neutrik cables included so we snatched them up, having finally landed a new drummer which would allow us to do 'real' gigs again, not just acoustic ones.

Anywho, these cabs both smell awful. They were/are mearly immaculate in condition, but in anything but desert conditions, they smell like puke from 3 feet away. Never enough to send the patrons away, but certainly enough that it's notable while moving the buggers.

I'm guessin it's some sort of funky-arsed glue malfunction, but DAMN!!