What are you guys recording with?

Techniques for getting your tone to tape.

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, BUG

VelvetGeorge
Site Owner
Just the numbers in order: 13492

What are you guys recording with?

Post by VelvetGeorge » Thu Nov 10, 2005 6:59 pm

I have a dual Athlon comp in a rack case that I built. It runs Logic with an RME Multiface sound card. The dual monitors is a must have as well.

I'll be honest, I'm using this 98% for doing metroamp, internet stuff lately. It would take me 2 weeks to realize if the Logic dongle fell out.

Oh, Mackie HR824 monitors.

George
Check out Plexi Replicas for my personal amp builds...

rockstah
Just the numbers in order: 7

Post by rockstah » Thu Nov 10, 2005 7:13 pm

haha i have been busy with amp building !.. but.,.

I built me a pentium 4 = 2.8ghz 1 gig of ram SATA drives

digidesign 002r
Protools and Nuendo

sm57

:)

VelvetGeorge
Site Owner

Post by VelvetGeorge » Thu Nov 10, 2005 7:36 pm

What version is Nuendo up to now? I haven't used it since 2.0

George

rockstah

Post by rockstah » Thu Nov 10, 2005 7:44 pm

VelvetGeorge wrote:What version is Nuendo up to now? I haven't used it since 2.0

George
3 and its killer! :)

NY Chief
Wiki Editor

Post by NY Chief » Thu Nov 10, 2005 8:43 pm

:cry:

It's kindergarten all over again.
NY Chief 5-0, transplanted in SoCal

"Book 'em, Dan-o!"

flemingmras

Post by flemingmras » Thu Nov 10, 2005 8:50 pm

What do I record with?

My bawls in a vice...helps me hit those high notes! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

No seriously, I use my computer and Cakewalk Home Studio Pro with a Mackie 1604VLZ mixer. However, I'm wanting to get a sound card with 8 ins/outs for true 8 track recording.

Jon
There's just that fine line between stupid and clever - Nigel Tufnel

NY Chief
Wiki Editor

Post by NY Chief » Thu Nov 10, 2005 8:55 pm

Seriously What would you guys recommend as a good intro into the digital / software based recording world?

Computer vs dedicated workstations (i.e the Boss or Yamaha type with CD)?
NY Chief 5-0, transplanted in SoCal

"Book 'em, Dan-o!"

VelvetGeorge
Site Owner

Post by VelvetGeorge » Thu Nov 10, 2005 9:05 pm

I used to say Cool Edit Pro. Awesome and easy. I still use it to clean up tracks.

Sony bought them out and changed the name. I don't recall what to, but I'll bet it's still a sweet program.

Mackie makes a multitrack too that seems good.

Protools free gets the job done in a pinch, and it's free!

On the Mac side, garage band is happening.

George

Billy Batz

Post by Billy Batz » Thu Nov 10, 2005 9:18 pm

Same on all points. CEP is a great simple program especially for wave editing with plugins though theres no realtime effects.

Pro Tools free is greta but they dont have an XP still!!

Necrovore

Post by Necrovore » Thu Nov 10, 2005 10:16 pm

The stand alone units are nice, but what if something goes wrong with it? I have a friend who has a nice Tascam unit but the drive has gone out twice, each time it kills his entire recording bug as he has to send the hwole unit off for repair. With a HDD setup if some hardware goes bad you can still keep going somewhat. Unless your sound card craps out.....
If the software bugs out on you uninstall it and reinstall it.

I use a antiquated 800Mhz computer with Nuendo 2.0, 1/2 gig RAM, Behringer UB802 mixer, E-Mu 1212m sound card, Some off brand powered monitors I got at GC, plus a slew of freeware effect plugins to record. For mastering I use T-Racks 24, which I have to say is the best stand alone program for the recording process ever made. SM-57's for guitars and vocals.

For drum programming I use Fruity Loops to create the drum track, then transport it back to Nuendo as a MIDI file and then use Steinberger LM-4 with Drumkitt From Hell for my kits and cymbals.

rockstah

Post by rockstah » Thu Nov 10, 2005 10:25 pm

flemingmras wrote:What do I record with?

My bawls in a vice...helps me hit those high notes! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

No seriously, I use my computer and Cakewalk Home Studio Pro with a Mackie 1604VLZ mixer. However, I'm wanting to get a sound card with 8 ins/outs for true 8 track recording.

Jon
http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/F ... -main.html
one word muaudio the firewire 410 or firewire 1814 anything maudio makes really its just up to how much bank you wnat to spend, will dt\etermine your ins and outs of the card best bang for the buck - run protools as well as cubase, nuendo which ever multitrack software you choose

rockstah

Post by rockstah » Thu Nov 10, 2005 10:31 pm

NY Chief wrote:Seriously What would you guys recommend as a good intro into the digital / software based recording world?

Computer vs dedicated workstations (i.e the Boss or Yamaha type with CD)?
]
i would go fully with computer based - at this point in the game - technology has come along way and you have so much more freedom on your monitor verses the small screens of all in one workstations - much more editing/third party options - open ended with a computerbase sytem

for the bang check out http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/F ... -main.html
i keep recomending their cards - they make in my opinion best bang for the buck out - and it used to be that in order to use Protools ( industry standard) one had to spend big bank on digidesign hardware in order to run protools now that digi bought out maudio you can run protools on their hardware weee!!!

hardware interfaces are about ins and outs and the digital converters - maudio has been in the business for a long time - i think they about audio interfaces they must.... Digidesign wouldnt have purchased them!

rockstah

Post by rockstah » Thu Nov 10, 2005 10:35 pm

get firewire! use it on your home computer - take it on the road with your laptop
http://www.m-audio.com/index.php?do=pro ... interfaces

depending on how much you want to spend you can see the more ya pay the more options ,digital I/O , built in mic pres, just your bare bones 4 in 6 out mic line interface is cheap today!]
and use whatever software:
cubase
protools
cool edit
nuendo

Flames1950

Post by Flames1950 » Thu Nov 10, 2005 11:18 pm

I still haven't finished reconfiguring my machine to see if it will record without all the bugs it has had. I keep building more amps instead of recording them, and I blame George personally. :wink:
It's a P4 2.4Ghz, 512Mb RAM, with a M Audio Delta 44 4-in/4-out card. Since plug-ins eat up too much damn processor power I usually would do some light reverb and any compression needed between the mixer and the computer. Mixer is a Behringer MX1604A, compressor and effects were all Behringer stuff too. LCD screen for less noise just in case you forget what you're doing and stand next to the monitor. Speakers are Klipsch 2.1 computer speakers.
I did have a Creative Audigy 2 platinum soundcard in it as well, but since I was having so many problems with glitches in the recordings I yanked it out -- which is why I was reconfiguring.

Necrovore

Post by Necrovore » Fri Nov 11, 2005 12:21 am

Oh one thing for the PC based system. This excludes laptops.... Dual monitor setups are the way to go. I hate having to minimize windows to bring up small things like effects or having to cycle through the signal screen and the mixer screen. Put the signal screen on one monitor and pull everything else to monitor #2.

Keep in mind that this is not a must have, it just makes things easier, especially when you are working with upwards of 12 channels using different effects for separate channels etc...