AC/DC current tour set up

Techniques for getting your tone to tape.

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, BUG

monsterwalley

AC/DC current tour set up

Post by monsterwalley » Tue Jan 20, 2009 7:49 am

Just saw this over at PP seems like the guy took pretty good notes.....
by jtm-45 on Tue Jan 13, 2009 6:45 am

Hey Guys-

Looks like MK has it pretty much right. I just took the complete tour when they were playing the Forum.

Here's the basic rig layout:

Malcolm has two heads onstage - a 70's Super Bass and a JTM45-100. Those power four cabs on his side of the stage. The one they are sitting on, the one immediately to his right and then two on top closet to him. Behind that cab line are two more racks containing three Marshalls each. Most are spares, but a couple are running the remaining cabs on his side, a pair of cabs on Angus' side and an ISO cab under the stage which is miked up with a Beta 57 inside a closed box. He's using Lectrosonics wireless to a custom splitter that sends his signal to the heads. Very straightforward and super clean sounding. Cleaner than most guys could stand it. The other thing is that he uses Vintage 30s in all of his cabs if I recall. Angus uses the Greenback G12-M reissues. That helps them to stand apart tonally, also. Four of the cabs on the bottom on Mal's side are powered by Angus' heads, so when he goes over there he can hear himself.

Angus has all of his amps offstage as MK mentioned. There are three racks of four heads if I recall. One has a Wizard in the bottom but it is rarely used. The onstage cabs are all on and each of the seven heads used powers a pair of cabs including his ISO cab under the stage which is identical to Mal's except he is using the Greenback RIs in his. There are a pair of mics up on each side of the stage which the FOH guy moves at random. The sound coming out of the PA is a combination between those onstage mics and the ISO cab under the stage. Angus has a very light touch and uses a similar setup of a wireless going to a splitter, with no other signal processing at all. He even plays with the same pick all night long which he picks up if he drops it (funny). He turns his guitar up to 10 and when he hears the pot click at the end of the rotation, he backs it off to about 7 and that is his rhythm tone. For leads all he does is turn it up to 10. That's it.

The rig is so straightforward it's actually kinda refreshing, but every cabinet onstage is on and when you add in the drum sidefills onstage (right next to the 4x12s) it is absolutely deafening onstage...but because he plays so clean, you can hear every note. The heads are all turned up to around 6-7. All 100-watters. Rick (from Wizard) is on the road with them and fixes any heads that break. He also has two racks of Wizards on standby if there was a need, but there are numerous Marshall backups in each rack. The Wizards were used a bit on the album (Black Ice) but they aren't really being used live, much to Rick's chagrin. They are Marshall guys through and through....and who can blame them?

There you go....

He went on to post............
Re: Which Marshalls do AC/DC favor??
by jtm-45 on Tue Jan 13, 2009 5:52 pm

No problem. I checked my notes and I got the speaks backwards. Angus is using the Vintage 30s and Mal is using the Greenback RI. So there!

If you're interested, Mal uses Gibson 12-52 strings and Fender Heavy Picks. Ang uses Gibson 9-42 string and Fender Extra Heavy picks.

There will be an article and photos of their rig in the next Guitar Edge Magazine which comes out in a couple weeks. Check it out!
jim

Scumback Speakers
Supporting Advertiser
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Re: AC/DC current tour set up

Post by Scumback Speakers » Tue Jan 20, 2009 9:58 am

Thanks for the gear list, Jim!
Scumback Speakers - Kick Ass Vintage Tone
sales@scumbackspeakers.com
http://www.scumbackspeakers.com
310-833-6632

VelvetGeorge
Site Owner
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Post by VelvetGeorge » Tue Jan 20, 2009 1:14 pm

Awesome info, thanks!!!!

VG
Check out Plexi Replicas for my personal amp builds...

donbarzini

Post by donbarzini » Thu Jan 22, 2009 3:17 pm

I guess Celestion doesn't even know who uses which speakers then:

http://professional.celestion.com/guita ... .asp?ID=98" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Spodeeodee

Post by Spodeeodee » Wed Feb 04, 2009 7:06 pm

Right...I believe the speaker arrangement was correct the first time, Angus using the G12M's and Mal using Vintage 30's.
Travis
-Metro JMP50

Spodeeodee

Post by Spodeeodee » Wed Feb 04, 2009 7:09 pm

When I saw the guys a month or two back, in Phoenix, I got to hear some unknown stage dude doing a sound check on Mal's rig, and yes, it's quite clean, but still has a very raw sound to it. It was suprising to hear just how clean it sounded by itself, outside of the context of the band as a whole. Would be nice if some of the more modern players could learn how to pull off this approach!
Travis
-Metro JMP50

monsterwalley

Post by monsterwalley » Mon Feb 16, 2009 8:08 pm

just read this in "guitar edge"

I scanned it to show pics but am too stupid to get it into the forum for you guys :oops:
They have pics of the amps and guitars used by angus and mal.

here is the typed version.

Angus's Guitars:

Angus's three gibson are a black late-60's custom with two pickups, a black '64 standard, and
a transparent cherry red '68 with the lightning bolt inlays. The pickups are replaced regularly. All guitars are tuned down one half step and strung with gibson 9-42's. He uses one guitar and one pick for each show, if he drops the pick he picks it up 8) .

Angus's amps:

His signal is sent via a Lectrosonics wireless unit, through a MIke Hill splitter to three road cases full of 100-watt marshall heads. No effects are used. A wizard vintagre classic amp is also kicked in for solos. Each head powers a pair of marshall 4x12 cabs loaded with celestion vintage 30's. One of the marshall heads dribes a 4x12 iso cab in a sealed road case under the stage. The house soundman blends the miked cab and the iso cab to dial in the perferct sound in the pa.

Malcolms Guitars:

A 59 stereo white falcon model 6137 which is wired so only the bridge pickup is on. The other three are '63-64 era. the main one is a jet fire bird model 6131 that was routed for a middle pickup. the second is a duo-jet retrofitted with a tune-o-matic bridge and stop tailpiece. the third is a duo-jet with the same basic specs as his main guitar. each have no finish on tops and only the stock filtertron bridge pickups and single volume remain. they are sgrung with gibson l-5 pure nickle 12-56 with the wound g tuned down one half step.

Malcolm's amps:

signal is sent via lectrosonics wireless into a radial engineering splitter. then to multiple marshall amps. No pedals. The two amps on the 4x12 on stage are: 100 watt JMP on bottom, top head is a 100 watt JTM-45 MKII. Each head drives a pair of Marshall 4x12 cabs loaded with celestion greenback 25's Theree more marshall heads in a road cas offstage drive the ninth cab a pair of cabs on Angus's side and an iso cab under the stage.

Sorry for the typing errors, I suck and this took me forever to do :?

Somebody tell me how to attach the scanned article with pics and I'll upload it.
jim

philmanatee

Post by philmanatee » Tue Feb 17, 2009 2:22 am

Thanks for the info! I just got a Malcolm Young signature Gretsch, it still feels a little light with 11's I'm switching to 12's when I restring. Phil

Roe
Just the numbers in order: 7

Post by Roe » Tue Feb 17, 2009 4:29 am

great stuff :D
http://www.myspace.com/20bonesband" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.myspace.com/prostitutes" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Super 100 amps: 1202-119 & 1202-84
JTM45 RS OT JTM50 JMP50 1959/2203/34/39