Cassette / LP to digital audio problem

Techniques for getting your tone to tape.

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, BUG

NY Chief
Wiki Editor

Cassette / LP to digital audio problem

Post by NY Chief » Wed Jan 14, 2009 4:09 pm

Hey guys, I bought an ION Tape 2 PC cassette deck to transfer old analog to digital. It came with it's own dub software and Audacity. It has a USB out. The cassette dub works pretty well. I also got an Art Accessories phono pre-amp with USB out for my turnatable. That seems to work well with the ION software. But, the ION software is bundled inside Itunes and it automatically creates an Itunes folder were it files the digitized music. So, of course eveytime I open Itunes I have to deal with advertisements. Annoying but I can deal with it.

The problem is that for some reason it disables all my audio output. I'm running this all through ProTools and even my Pro Tools files don't have any Audio after I transfer a cassette or LP. I checked in the Control Panel under Audio Devices and Pro Tools is active btu no sound. I shut it down last night pissed off that I couldn't find what changed. I started her up this morning and everything played fine! WTF???

I'm running a SweetWater creation station w/ XP. It does not have a separate sound card. (So I can't hear youtube clips... :x ). All audio is routed through PT.

What is this software re setting??????
NY Chief 5-0, transplanted in SoCal

"Book 'em, Dan-o!"

gutpile
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Re: Cassette / LP to digital audio problem

Post by gutpile » Wed Jan 14, 2009 11:19 pm

Look in your control panel under "Sounds and Audio Devices", the software probably changed your default setting... Kind of like whe you installed iTunes it asked if you wanted it to be the default for all audio and video files... only difference is it probably didn't ask you and juse changed your default... change it back and you should be good to go? unless I am misreading your issue? :? If it doesn't work, take it up with the guy in profile pic! :lol:
Metro Clips
Amps:Metro-(JTM45,50w,'69 spec 100w,45/100,100wMV,Bluesbreaker Combo),Orig. 65BFTR
Axes:LP Custom,Am. Strat,Am. Tele,61 SGRI

NY Chief
Wiki Editor

Post by NY Chief » Wed Jan 14, 2009 11:51 pm

gutpile wrote: If it doesn't work, take it up with the guy in profile pic! :lol:
That's the "genius" that CAUSED the problem in the first place!

You're right on, Mike. That's what I thought but everytime I went back to "Sounds and Audio Devices" it was still on the Digi002 port. Not changed.

The only thing I can think off is that it may be an IRQ hierarchy or USB confusion. The PC is seeing 3 USB inputs, cassette deck, turntable and Pro Tools.

I'm not sure how the PC handles multi USB inputs.

"Book 'em, Dan-o!"

NY Chief
Wiki Editor

Post by NY Chief » Thu Jan 15, 2009 11:27 am

Damn, now it's not even recognizing Pro Tools...

"Book 'em, Dan-o!"