Pre Mic Amp

Techniques for getting your tone to tape.

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, BUG

IloveMyMarshall
Just the numbers in order: 7

Pre Mic Amp

Post by IloveMyMarshall » Wed Sep 17, 2008 9:47 am

I'm in the hunt for recording gear. Whats up with Mbox II wth pro tools anyone have this?? Also what about a decent pre mic amp without putting me out in the streets lol.
Presonus solid state with tube? Or just go with the Mbox package deal? I got the mics 57s and computer!
Thanks for any input!
ILMM
Metro 2204
Metro JTM 45/50
Next Super lead??
http://www.soundclick.com/ilovemymarshall" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

RAM

Re: Pre Mic Amp

Post by RAM » Wed Sep 24, 2008 8:42 pm

Hey I've an mbox2 and pro tools. I really like protools it's the fastest daw I've ever used and it's got alot of great features. The preamps on the mbox aren't bad, very clean and good for almost any use.
That said there are better preamps out there but the fact that these come on board with the mbox is pretty handy. I'm not a big fan of presonus stuff as I'd an fp10 with a faulty firewire card and it was really noisy. Though when I first had it I was really happy with it. I'd look up the features of the presonus tube preamp as I'm not sure if the tubes run off high voltages, and if they don't they are just a selling point and not actually providing any nice tube 'warmth'.
Try a cheap focusrite if you want an outboard preamp. They are always reliable. To be honest the best preamps always cost alot unless you actually go and make them yourself.

Hope I was of some help!
Rob

6string

Re: Pre Mic Amp

Post by 6string » Thu Sep 25, 2008 2:26 pm

I'd take a look at the UA 610