Video cam that I can actually USE

Techniques for getting your tone to tape.

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, BUG

worldoftone
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Video cam that I can actually USE

Post by worldoftone » Mon May 05, 2008 5:07 pm

I hate my clips. You guys hate my clips. Need digital video cam that I can plug an external mic into that also has a firewire out. Anyone have any ideas??? I'm doing some research as well.

- WOT

NitroLiq

Post by NitroLiq » Mon May 05, 2008 6:33 pm

There may be better (quick and easier) ways to do it with current gear but I can tell you how I do it with my older tech...this is a very dirty way of doing it but it works. Here's an example setup:

Video:

Sony TRV120 Digital Hi-8 video cam (firewire connection) > Adobe Premiere Pro

Audio:

Guitar > Johnson J-station amp modeler > 20-bit Gina card > Nuendo 2.2 or Soundforge

-or-

Guitar > amp > beta 57 > mackie 1202VLZ > 20-bit Gina card > Nuendo 2.2 or Soundforge

Now obviously, different audio and video packages may react differently but with the above set up, Premiere always has to be the 'active' app to be capturing the video. Fortunately, Soundforge doesn't mind running in the background. So, set your audio levels/settings for the audio recording and make sure your video is capturing the way you want (good idea to match the audio settings in the audio with what it will be in the video project). Start the recording in the audio app first, then bring the video app to the front. Start capturing. Before recording the actual take do some guitar 'chucks' as a countoff...the idea is that you're going to be replacing the video's audio with the real audio later so you want to start it with some things you can sync it up with later. Ok, rock out dude and make your recordings.

After you have everything, you go into a video software, delete the audio from the vid capture file and import the good audio file. Sync it up with the video editor to the frame level so it's exact. Trim off any excess. Output to whatever format you want.

Flames1950

Re: Video cam that I can actually USE

Post by Flames1950 » Mon May 05, 2008 9:45 pm

worldoftone wrote:I hate my clips. You guys hate my clips. Need digital video cam that I can plug an external mic into that also has a firewire out. Anyone have any ideas??? I'm doing some research as well.

- WOT
Sheesh, I think that's a little melodramatic. I've heard far, far worse from far better equipment........ :wink:

worldoftone

Post by worldoftone » Tue May 06, 2008 1:27 am

That's good to know! :lol: I was just a bit frustrated.

- WOT

VelvetGeorge
Site Owner

Post by VelvetGeorge » Tue May 06, 2008 11:58 am

I don't hate your clips!

Just record audio with whatever can take the db's and line it up with the video later, like Pete suggested.
I use Sony Vegas for this and it works really well. I just do 4 pick clicks on the strings before each section That gives me a nice visual cue.

george
Check out Plexi Replicas for my personal amp builds...

worldoftone

Post by worldoftone » Tue May 06, 2008 1:17 pm

OK sounds cool. A bit more work than I was wanting to do LOL! I'll get the goods to handle the dbs.

- WOT

45auto

Post by 45auto » Tue May 06, 2008 4:02 pm

so, none of the typical video cameras can handle us guitar guys, so we have to record seperately & sync up with some software eh?
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default ... dID=559714" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://s62.photobucket.com/albums/h119/ ... t=1980.flv" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

NitroLiq

Post by NitroLiq » Tue May 06, 2008 4:59 pm

The reasoning isn't so much about the SPLs. For the most part, audio and video/film are usually recorded separately and put together in post. That's why on a set you always see some guys with cameras and other guys (gaffer/boom operators) holding the shotgun mics with the big windscreens over them out of frame over the actors' heads. If there are problems with the dialogue, they use a post technique called ADR (Automatic Dialogue Replacement) where an actor goes into the studio and watches parts in need of replacement, then does a bunch of takes, lip-syncing with his/herself on the screen. If it's done well, you can't really tell the difference. If it's done bad...well...think of the Shaw brothers kung-fu movies of the 70s that are dubbed in English. :D Really prevalent technique with all the CG characters now.

That being said, I'm sure there are higher-end pro vidcams with XLR I/O that would allow you to hook a separate mic to it for better audio capture but seriously, why bother? If you can capture the footage and have the audio running through a good recording chain like a couple of mics > vintage pres > vintage compressors > DAW as a separate signal...allows more control and the end-product should be fairly ripping.

Guitar Adjuster

Post by Guitar Adjuster » Tue May 06, 2008 5:44 pm

Ross,

Go by Camera Exchange on San Pedro --about a mile or so south of GC on the right hand going south, they have a ton of high end video cameras you can check out......pro stuff not the best buy crap!

Allen

worldoftone

Post by worldoftone » Wed May 07, 2008 12:29 pm

Oh yeah, I totally forgot about those guys! I bought some stuff there in the late 90s. Didn't even think that they would have the video stuff.

- WOT

JimiJames

Post by JimiJames » Wed May 07, 2008 10:16 pm

Check out FlipVideo.
Inexpensive & state o'd' art killer sound !

I used it here with good results...

whatcha think there vern?
prolly good enough for what you want to get across.

...and remember, it's a present for your lady that you'll borrow once & a while :wink:
RIP Mark Abrahamian-rockstah -classmate/roommate
RIP Ben Wise -StuntDouble- comrade-in-arms