Studio monitor recommendations

Techniques for getting your tone to tape.

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, BUG

crazyfingers

Post by crazyfingers » Fri May 23, 2008 11:59 am

Hey everyone,

Well last night I went down to the local GC and checked out the monitors and to my ears the winner is the Adam A7. I also liked the Yamaha HS80s, but they're too big to sit on my book shelves. I got out for of there for slightly over 1K. The Adams look really good at home next to the amps!

Thanks VG for the tip on them!

Have a great extend Memorial Day weekend to all on this board!

best regards to all!

vic

Okay! Back to guitar playing and amp building! :)
In life, women come and go, but plexis accumulate!

VelvetGeorge
Site Owner
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Post by VelvetGeorge » Fri May 23, 2008 1:40 pm

Glad my recommendation helped. I think the A7's have more detail in the upper mids and highs than anything else in their price range.

VG
Check out Plexi Replicas for my personal amp builds...

crazyfingers

Post by crazyfingers » Fri May 23, 2008 5:56 pm

VelvetGeorge wrote:Glad my recommendation helped. I think the A7's have more detail in the upper mids and highs than anything else in their price range.

VG
VG,

I agree. These monitors have a certain dynamic quality (perhaps depth is better description) that all of the others lacked in the mids and highs Hz. I also thought that some of the other more popular brands had too much rumble in the low Hz ranges. The Yamahas have a nice balance but lacked the detail that you have mentioned that the A7s have.

vic

JimiJames

Post by JimiJames » Sat May 24, 2008 7:34 pm

O.K. the A7's biggest bang for the buck, right.
I'll be in the market for mon's in the slower winter months.
I see that they are quite a bit less than the HR's
Also, I have not heard the HR824mk2's but my question is are the A7's a better buy than a used pair of HR's ?

Should I be comparing the HR624's instead? Seems like that's the range they're in.

And... are the HR's just "to" flat line that they are harder to dial in?
(eg. I have a Beyer M201 NC I use for recording & playing out [as well as a Shure SM57] which is a flat line microphone and have no prob's dialing it in. It just takes longer than the 57 ...)
thanx
RIP Mark Abrahamian-rockstah -classmate/roommate
RIP Ben Wise -StuntDouble- comrade-in-arms

VelvetGeorge
Site Owner

Post by VelvetGeorge » Sat May 24, 2008 7:58 pm

A7's are great, but there are plenty of other monitors in that price range. I own HR824's as well. They have been hooked up to our TV since I got the Blue Sky stuff. I could never get anything to translate mixing on those Mackies. The low end is weird. Put them in my untreated (acoustically) room and it was recipe for disaster.

The Blue Skys were a major leap forward for mixes translating to boom box, car, Ipod etc. Adams seem to have this quality as well. Note that I don't own A7's but have heard them a fair bit.

Monitor are so personal that you really have to try them yourself, in your own room if possible.

VG
Check out Plexi Replicas for my personal amp builds...

crazyfingers

Post by crazyfingers » Sat May 24, 2008 10:39 pm

JimiJames wrote:
Should I be comparing the HR624's instead? Seems like that's the range they're in.

Actually the 624s were my third favorite monitors in the comparison. I thought they were more balanced than the 824s. Just my ears I guess. I played verything from artists on the Higher Octive stuff label to Devin Townsend in the CD that I brought.

v

Jude

Post by Jude » Wed May 28, 2008 5:32 pm

My advice when chosing monitors is to test them with some tracks that you are very familier with, preferably with traks that you have recorded. Take your time and listen for the detail sweeping through the full frequency range from 20 Hz to 20KHz, a good monitor should only reproduce the original sound and give you a true reproduction of same. Also bear in mind that you may be listening to these monitors for extended periods of time so try to find somthing that dosent fatique you!!! Alot of stores in the US have monitor walls where you can easily AB between various kinds of monitor, you will know when you find the pair that work for you!!!

I really like the larger Genelecs because thay are really flat and give you a really tight and punchy response with excellent detail, If you want to zone in on a particular frequency when mixing its very easy to isolate the particular range your working on.
Jude.