Sustain at Rehearsal vs. Live

Techniques for getting your tone to tape.

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, BUG

Necrovore
Just the numbers in order: 7

Sustain at Rehearsal vs. Live

Post by Necrovore » Tue Mar 04, 2008 1:32 am

Something I have noticed lately is that when we are at rehearsal, my lead tone/sustain is usually pretty decent to the point where I am able to do my leads with little difficulty, and they sound good for what they are.

Now when we are playing live, it seems like almost any sustain I have at rehearsal disappears. Bends that sustain well die off fairly quickly. Leaving a lot of dead space in some of the passages in my leads.

Anyone know why this happens and a way to fix it? I am guessing this is why everyone says to bump an amp with some sort of boost.

I put this post in the Sound forum as I figured that this is the best place for it.

planetjimi

Post by planetjimi » Tue Mar 04, 2008 11:40 am

At rehearsla your probably standing close enough or in a "sweet spot" so that the speaker is hitting your guitar better. Whereas live your probably further away from your amp and the sound waves aren't hitting your guitar as hard. Just my two cents.

Scumback Speakers
Supporting Advertiser
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Post by Scumback Speakers » Tue Mar 04, 2008 5:37 pm

What planetjimi said, plus you have more air to fill in the live gig, so your same amp isn't filling the air, or your place on stage with as much sound density.
Scumback Speakers - Kick Ass Vintage Tone
sales@scumbackspeakers.com
http://www.scumbackspeakers.com
310-833-6632

Flames1950

Post by Flames1950 » Tue Mar 04, 2008 6:35 pm

Bottom line is you have to find the formula that works at the gig, then take it back to rehearsal -- the other way around doesn't cut it. And as much as it sucks to have to experiment with tone at the gig, it sounds like it's making you uncomfortable onstage already and maybe affecting the performance. So take a few boosts or something to try if needed, and find the right recipe.

Necrovore

Post by Necrovore » Tue Mar 04, 2008 11:25 pm

Flames1950 wrote:Bottom line is you have to find the formula that works at the gig, then take it back to rehearsal -- the other way around doesn't cut it. And as much as it sucks to have to experiment with tone at the gig, it sounds like it's making you uncomfortable onstage already and maybe affecting the performance. So take a few boosts or something to try if needed, and find the right recipe.
You hit the nail on the head. Really the only thing that I can think of is actual volume levels. Our rehearsal room is big enough that I am standing far enough away from my amp to mimic the distance I am away from the amp on most of the stages we have played on. So the "sweet spot" theory is somewhat knocked out. Maybe turning up live is something that I should try. I say this because we did play one gig where we really had to turn up. I am talking 3/4 towards diming my DR's output, and I had no problems that night. the place had no PA to speak of for guitars, and the room was quite large.

One club we play regularly is very small and no miked amps, but its so small that is not really a problem. My sustain there is very similar to rehearsal due to the venue size. One place has drop ceilings but under that is only about a foot so we are talking 10' high ceilings the room is about 30' x 100', and everything sounds brassy. The venue in Austin we regularly gig at is fairly large, but like 20' high ceiling.

I will try either my Distortion + or my SD-1 next gig. I just want my lead tones to flow off the guitar as right now it sounds to my ears like I am fighting the guitar/amp combination. Which in turn is making me a bit self conscious.

Necrovore

Post by Necrovore » Fri Mar 07, 2008 8:47 pm

Ok I think I have figured this out.

1 - This is a psychological factor. I went and listened to some of the recordings I like and isolated the lead tones. I paid attention to how dry or wet the recorded tone is. I am now aware that most leadwork on recordings are fairly dry with reverb added in afterwards and you can hear the dead spots if you pay attention. This is what I am running up against. I have never been in a band situation where I was playing a tube amp like I am now. My bands in the 80's I used solid state amps and the gain structure on those is inherently a lot wetter than a tube amp.

2 - If I want a live lead tone like I hear on recordings I have to use a wet/dry/wet rig. Otherwise I deal with what I have and hope the sound man adds in some wetness FOH to my signal.

3 - Adding in some drive to the front of the amp helps a bit, but I still have to deal with a dry signal.

4 - Stop bitching and play your guitar(this is the most important one).

As I said in 1 this is all in my head.

Mantegna

Post by Mantegna » Wed Mar 19, 2008 10:28 pm

crank up the amp, add a bit of reverb and delay on your leads. Relax...and be confident. If you go to a gig confident that you are going to hit your licks...then you'll do well. I have experienced this too playing various venues. Sometimes I sound and feel amazing...other times dry and thin to my ears. I kinda have a few levels and settings on my amp that I take to a live show that are the foundation. When I do a soundcheck I rip out some lead stuff and see how it sounds and feels with the rest of the band. If I am lacking something I make minor adjustments from there. Never panic.

Guitar-Sam
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Post by Guitar-Sam » Sat Apr 12, 2008 5:47 am

Sometimes its as simple as to much space between the musicians on stage.
I keep my rig right next to the drummers snare and my cabinet up on a crate.If I'm too far away I hear myself to loud and I don't play as good I prefer to hear things as unit rather than myself blaring.
Also when your live adrenaline gets pumpin drummers pound etc....so it may be over powering you enough to make it seem like your sustain is null.
Also if your rehearse in a room your sound will bounce back to you were as in a big room at a gig your sound is just shooting accross the room away from you.
Best thing is during sound check find the best spot to place your amp and best place to stand to listen. I sing in my bands so rythm is usually played at the mic but for leads I usually have a sweet spot I walk to to play leads.Some rooms more so than others.
74' Stratocaster
Several Frankenstrats
Orange Tiny Terror & PPC 1x12 cab
Marshall 2210
69' Marshall 4x12 "B" cab
Dean Markley CD-60