Soundproofing

Techniques for getting your tone to tape.

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, BUG

rgorke
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Soundproofing

Post by rgorke » Tue Feb 19, 2008 3:50 pm

Does anyone have any experience with this product?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Soundproofing-Basem ... m153.l1262

I am looking for a low cost way to reduce sound coming out of my music room. This looks pretty good for the price. Is an NRC of .70 good?

Thanks

St August

Post by St August » Tue Feb 19, 2008 3:53 pm

They wont sound proof a hole lot but they will reduce reflection a great deal.

There judt shipping blankets.. There much cheaper at U- Haul

moving your thread to sound :wink:

rgorke
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Post by rgorke » Tue Feb 19, 2008 4:38 pm

St August wrote:They wont sound proof a hole lot but they will reduce reflection a great deal.

There judt shipping blankets.. There much cheaper at U- Haul

moving your thread to sound :wink:
Thanks for moving to the appropriate forum. I was not sure.

I saw your sticky but it is just equipment, any thoughts on sound reduction products that won't break the bank? I have a 6x10 (or so) room in the basement that is my music room. I am trying to reduce sound to other parts of the house.

Butterylicious

Post by Butterylicious » Tue Feb 19, 2008 8:16 pm

Speaking strictly of "sound proofing" and not "acoustics", the 3 fundamentals in order of importance are:

Density
Dead Air
Absorption

You can blanket the piss out of your garage and it will sound quieter within the garage. That's an acoustic property of absorption. Will your neighbors notice the difference all the blankets make? Not a bit because absorption falls low on the priority list of sound proofing. Now if you brick up your garage door with cinder blocks and fill them with sand, that's mucho denser than any garage door, even one that has been weatherized. Dead air space is fairly amazing too. That's how come we can have booth windows in studios.

Acoustics is a whole other ball of wax. It's 2 fundamentals are reflection and absorption, but then you have to consider the environment.... sound source, destination, and sound proofing. A studio room is different from a control room which is different from a rehearsal room which is waaaaaaay different than a theatre. Sound proofing is fairly basic. Acoustics can become as difficult as you could imagine and I really don't know enough about it to be dangerous.

St August

Post by St August » Tue Feb 19, 2008 8:17 pm

Really the best way is to insulate the room your using with Ruxal acoustic fire batt insulation do the wall and ceiling this will greatly reduce the amount of sound that will escape to the other rooms..

Butterylicious

Post by Butterylicious » Tue Feb 19, 2008 8:56 pm

St August wrote:Really the best way is to insulate the room your using with Ruxal acoustic fire batt insulation do the wall and ceiling this will greatly reduce the amount of sound that will escape to the other rooms..
Fire batt insulation is very dense in comparison to say R13 pink stuff.

St August

Post by St August » Tue Feb 19, 2008 9:49 pm

That is correct..

45auto

Post by 45auto » Wed Feb 20, 2008 3:59 pm

nice info guys. i guess that carpet we nailed to the walls years ago didn't do much of $h!t!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default ... dID=559714" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://s62.photobucket.com/albums/h119/ ... t=1980.flv" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Butterylicious

Post by Butterylicious » Thu Feb 21, 2008 11:44 pm

45auto wrote:nice info guys. i guess that carpet we nailed to the walls years ago didn't do much of $h!t!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Not much for sound proofing, but acoustically it does absorb. Your ears probably suffered less.