How does this sound for simple amp recording?

Techniques for getting your tone to tape.

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, BUG

marT

How does this sound for simple amp recording?

Post by marT » Tue Dec 25, 2007 6:38 pm

I have a done a bit of research on what to buy to record my amps in the best possible way within my budget.

I have heard a few people rave about this preamp...

EHX preamp

and I was going to get a Shure SM57 as a Mic.

Does that sound like it will get the job down of recording well? I am not going for pro setup but getting nice accurate sound of my amp would be good.

Also, does anyone know where I might be able to pickup these things that ship internationally? Musicians friend doesn't ship to Australia. Or am I going to have to go ebay?

The Mic I can probably get locally but the preamp is a bit hard.

St August

Post by St August » Sun Jan 13, 2008 11:27 pm

I dont think the ehx will get the job donr for you there are much better pre's out there for arounf the same money . But the 57 is always a good buy..Do alittle more homework on the mic pre tho.. 8)

JimiJames
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Post by JimiJames » Mon Jan 14, 2008 6:08 am

+1 St. August

Don't know the path of your recording process (assuming computer) but, I have a feeling your going with the EH for it's tube warmth.
if that's the case your being deceived. All good sound engineers know that the magic is in the Pre's.
In otherwords how stage one of your signal will be processed.
I'm sure the EH has some good qualities but for those few people...I would consider their source.
Comparing list prices... for $50 U.S. more I would recommend the PreSonus FireBox
The Pre's will capture the "warm" sound of your guitars. It is within your budget and easily obtained through eBay. Nothing wrong with used either...
These are IMO the best pre's foe your money.
Personally I have the M-Audio Firewire410 but if I was on a budget and wanted great results I would get the FireBox.
RIP Mark Abrahamian-rockstah -classmate/roommate
RIP Ben Wise -StuntDouble- comrade-in-arms