Inexpensive options for recording guitar onto computer?

Techniques for getting your tone to tape.

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, BUG

mwm523

Inexpensive options for recording guitar onto computer?

Post by mwm523 » Wed Nov 14, 2007 7:48 pm

Hey all,

I'm looking for a fairly inexpensive device to use for recording guitar onto my PC. I want to mic my amps/cabinets (with an SM57) and record that way, so the device will need to be able to handle cranked tube amps... I guess it also needs phantom power since I'm using a 57, right?

Any suggestions? I've seen some devices by Line 6 and M-Audio, but I'm not sure how well they will work for what I'm looking to do.

Thanks.
-Mike

Flames1950

Post by Flames1950 » Wed Nov 14, 2007 7:57 pm

No phantom power needed for an SM57. And the device is only handling low mic levels, the M Audio stuff works fine as a starting point. I'm still using an M Audio Delta 44 on the rare occasions that I get to record, although I do use a mixer between the mic and the M Audio.

St August

Post by St August » Wed Nov 14, 2007 7:59 pm

theye do make a USB mic thats about as cheap as one can get..

Matt

Post by Matt » Wed Nov 14, 2007 8:01 pm

SM57 is a dynamic microphone and therefore doesnt need phantom power, only condenser mics need it AFAIK. I have a little tascam usb interface, its okay, it used to crash my win2000 box periodically but it seem to work fine on my xp laptop, although XP is not immune from this from what ive read. its the US-122 model. I would recommend a firewire device as it faster if your computer has a firewire port on it. M-audio makes some good stuff, any of their firewire interfaces will probably suit your needs, its just a matter of how much your willing to spend, alot of them come packaged with pro-tools and such.

Edit: you guys beat me to it.... :wink:
If I was a good student I wouldnt be attending music school.

mwm523

Post by mwm523 » Wed Nov 14, 2007 8:03 pm

So I could use this?

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/ ... sku=249700

or this?

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/ ... sku=703606

I'm not looking for super high quality, just want to be able to record demo clips of my amps/cabs.
-Mike

toner

Post by toner » Wed Nov 14, 2007 9:22 pm

The reviews for that second one look bad.

Most of those "all in one" USB or Firewire units will work fine for your purpose.

If your computer already has a decent sound card with recording inputs, you really only need a mic pre or a cheap little mixer. Most consumer-grade sound cards have horrible A/D converters so you should test it by recording from a portable CD player or something to see if the quality is any good.