Well, took the $100 plunge. I hope this book helps!

Techniques for getting your tone to tape.

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, BUG

Bluesgeetar
Just the numbers in order: 7

hmmm

Post by Bluesgeetar » Mon Mar 26, 2007 3:23 pm

I'm getting there bro. FYI the lesser unit of mine just sold on ebay for $650.00!!! The one that sold is the lesser one of the series that only does up to 7-1/2 IPS and doesn't come with some of the bells and whistles mine does. Check it out:

http://cgi.ebay.com/MAGNECORD-748-88-VI ... dZViewItem

Myopic Void

Post by Myopic Void » Mon Mar 26, 2007 5:55 pm

That unit fetched a really good price! On yours have you had to re-lap the heads yet?

Cheers,

Eric

Bluesgeetar

hmmm

Post by Bluesgeetar » Mon Mar 26, 2007 6:26 pm

nope. THe guy that gave it to me was the tech at the station were he worked. He kept it running perfect and told me to bring it to him if it ever needed tweaking. He lives next door to me. :D I traded him a old Futon I was throwing away for it. I was on my way to the dumpster with it and he saw me and asked me what I was gonna do with that Futon. Told him it was trash. He asked me if he could have it and I said yeah. He took it and then later that evening he came knocking on my door and told me he feels bad and feels like he should pay me. I told him I make good money and don't need his cash so just keep it and be happy. He was quiet for a minute then he said come over to my house I wanna see if you want this thing I have that might be good for your little studio. He got me! Curiousity took hold of me. Went over to his house and he showed me the beast and told me all about it. I gladly took it as payment for the Futon I was trowing away!!!!!!!!! Sweeeeeeeeeet! SO I got it and the tech that kept it going for so many years! Sweeeeeeeeeet! :D
Did I tell you? I did find a Unit like mine on the net at a vintage studio gear seller and it was over $1200 for a unit exactly like mine. God likes me some sometimes. :D

Oh and I also got the full fledged user and service manual with schematic. :D

Myopic Void

Post by Myopic Void » Tue Mar 27, 2007 11:52 am

Well done Chris! With heads you can tell if the head crest starts to get pretty flat then it's time for a relap. You can feel it with your finger. JRF magnetics is my relaper. John French (owner) is a great guy. If you do not use the deck alot it may be fine for many years to come.

Once again great story...looking forward to hearing it.

Cheers,

Eric

Herec

Post by Herec » Thu May 10, 2007 7:08 pm

Aren't Beyer M160's good for micing Marshalls too? Maybe in conjunction with a U67 or U87?

Myopic Void

Post by Myopic Void » Mon May 14, 2007 2:01 pm

Herec wrote:Aren't Beyer M160's good for micing Marshalls too? Maybe in conjunction with a U67 or U87?
Yes they are ...but they can be a prone to damage easier than say a Royer 121. I like the Royer Ribbon mic alot and feel it's a safer bet, albeit 2-3 times the price. I have used it in conjuction with my 1970 U87, but it can stand on it's own too.

I just used it a couple days ago on a new track... http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemus ... dID=579600
click on Frog solo and intro for a short clip.

Cheers,

Eric