TO ALL SOUND ENGINEERS

Techniques for getting your tone to tape.

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, BUG

johniss0001
Just the numbers in order: 7

TO ALL SOUND ENGINEERS

Post by johniss0001 » Fri Feb 09, 2007 7:50 pm

I was at a scottish gig earlier tonight, all was going fukin fantastic until the headlining band came on cause there was a change o sound engineers. This "sound engineer" mixes rock etc like dance too much fukin bass and highs. Ahh but it gets interesting bagpipes, violins and acoustic guitars are very trebly instruments and they were fukin piercing it was verrrrrrrry painful, and the kick was like a blow in the guts and chest so 2 extremes.

All i could hear the whole night was the kick drum

The guy was even covering his own ears through the set christ he shoulda did something about it then lmao.

Scottish music/irish music is really soft and nice to listen to and shouldn't be mixed like that! LMAO that cunt should a let a real man like me behind the mixer and i woulda showed him how it was done and he kept turning the vol up.

Also the bugger didn't even have a set list when he arrived, i wouldn't need a set list but still it's better to have 1!

Sound engineers of today think music is all about more bass and treble! well ye silly bastards i got news for ye your fukin wrong. mixing is all about getting the levels right and without killing people and causing discomfort, you wouldn't mix bethoven or mozart like this.

This thread also sorta ties in with my AC/DC sound thread, sound engineers should be musicians or have a musical background and understand theory to a degree etc. Most sound engineers that are trained today IMO don't necesserally understand this concept that bass and treble ain't always good. Sure i like the bass to be slightly dominant and treble to but not in your face if you catch my drift. The guy did a bass solo and you couldn't hear it all that was there was the sound of the kick drum.

What happened to the days of sound engineers doing their jobs properly.

i am not cursing at anyone on this forum or wannabes but guys have some respect for people willing to pay $28+ for a concert ticket.

Also the amount of bass etc that was at tonights gig was not only dangerous to the people in the audience but i could feel every movement by the speakers fair enough there will be some movement but not like this and the concert hall got real warm i wouldn't be surprised if that was the speakers cooking LMAO. Also some guy set the smoke machine off and i said to my parents hey i bet that smoke is coming from the speakers cause that sound smokes. TBH i thought the speakers were gonna come smoking out the cabs and the resonance was hurrendous floor etc was really vibrating.

Sure you would expect that in a small room with a full cranked marshall but that is more of a full range sound but this was in the kilowatts and the 2 extremes the highs and lows.

sorry for the long rant but i feel this must be said
John Ross

Respect the FATHER OF LOUD Jim Marshall

Flames1950

Post by Flames1950 » Fri Feb 09, 2007 9:51 pm

I think bass is the most horribly overmixed frequency in music today..........I like a nice solid thump, not a cannon shooting off next to me (other than AC/DC's "For Those About To Rock" in the Metrodome in '88 of course!!!)

Treble needs to be just enough to be crisp and lively in a given room. And often it's those upper mids that make the voices and instruments intelligible, extra treble can't make those vocal sounds come out any better........

johniss0001
Just the numbers in order: 7

Post by johniss0001 » Fri Feb 09, 2007 11:57 pm

exactly
John Ross

Respect the FATHER OF LOUD Jim Marshall