Metro Jam

Techniques for getting your tone to tape.

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, BUG

Necrovore
Just the numbers in order: 7

Post by Necrovore » Mon Aug 07, 2006 11:26 pm

Ok I didn't know I got myself involved :shock: But it's cool I'm game. I will start coming up with something.

I was watching the original video again and you guys notice how in the chorus The Hellion overpowers everyone in that large group?

Who is the guy who sings "And we all wanna touch a rainbow"? Second line after the first chorus, right after the cat from BOC. Is that Paul Shortino? In the final chorus who is the guy that is to the left of Don Dokken(his right)?

I remember watching the making of of this on MTV back when it was actually cool to watch that channel. Remember when Dokken was laying down his vocal tracks and Dio kept telling him to redo his vocals and to put some manliness into them?

This is going to be fun. They did the exact thing StAugust suggested on the Dinsaur Rock forum. Came out really good. :lol:

Flames1950

Post by Flames1950 » Mon Aug 07, 2006 11:35 pm

Man, I tested my recording rig tonight playing the backing track and talking into the mic (well I do have a toddler sleeping!!) and I'm hearing no issues anymore........should be good to go when I can get rid of everyone!!!! :twisted: :twisted:

St August

Post by St August » Tue Aug 08, 2006 6:40 am

Necrovore wrote:Ok I didn't know I got myself involved :shock: But it's cool I'm game. I will start coming up with something.

I was watching the original video again and you guys notice how in the chorus The Hellion overpowers everyone in that large group?

Who is the guy who sings "And we all wanna touch a rainbow"? Second line after the first chorus, right after the cat from BOC. Is that Paul Shortino? In the final chorus who is the guy that is to the left of Don Dokken(his right)?

I remember watching the making of of this on MTV back when it was actually cool to watch that channel. Remember when Dokken was laying down his vocal tracks and Dio kept telling him to redo his vocals and to put some manliness into them?

This is going to be fun. They did the exact thing StAugust suggested on the Dinsaur Rock forum. Came out really good. :lol:
Yea thats Paul Shortino and the other is David St Hubbins from Spinal Tap

VelvetGeorge
Site Owner
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Post by VelvetGeorge » Tue Aug 08, 2006 3:20 pm

All right guys. I broke down and ordered a Royer R-122. So I have no excuses any longer.
I had ordered one a while back from my friend who owns Vintage King. But they were out of stock at the time, and when they got them in I didn't have the cash.

I'll get some made over the weekend.

george
Check out Plexi Replicas for my personal amp builds...

Flames1950

Post by Flames1950 » Tue Aug 08, 2006 6:21 pm

VelvetGeorge wrote:All right guys. I broke down and ordered a Royer R-122. So I have no excuses any longer.
I had ordered one a while back from my friend who owns Vintage King. But they were out of stock at the time, and when they got them in I didn't have the cash.

I'll get some made over the weekend.

george

Jesus H. Christ, that better sound like heaven on earth at the price those go for.......... :shock: :shock: :shock:

VelvetGeorge
Site Owner

Post by VelvetGeorge » Tue Aug 08, 2006 6:37 pm

Trust me, I could never afford them at retail. And I had to call in some long due favors to swing it at all.

All in all, the R-121 I used on guitar years ago was my favorite guitar sound ever. Although, a Neumann U47 knocked me out as well.

Now I don't have any pissy ass excuses left. I better start posting killer clips real soon.

George

Necrovore
Just the numbers in order: 7

Post by Necrovore » Tue Aug 08, 2006 7:24 pm

St August wrote:
Necrovore wrote:Ok I didn't know I got myself involved :shock: But it's cool I'm game. I will start coming up with something.

David St. Hubbins(Lennie from Laverne&Shirley) is on Dokken's left. I'm asking about the guy on the other side of Dokken. He has a 70's handlebar style moustache.EDIT: Claude Bains or whatever his name is I think is who it is. He played Keys for Dio methinks.

St August

Post by St August » Tue Aug 08, 2006 8:02 pm

Necrovore wrote:
St August wrote:

David St. Hubbins(Lennie from Laverne&Shirley) is on Dokken's left. I'm asking about the guy on the other side of Dokken. He has a 70's handlebar style moustache.EDIT: Claude Bains or whatever his name is I think is who it is. He played Keys for Dio methinks.
No thats Jimmy Bain. your thinking of Claude Shnell Dio's keyboard player

Flames1950

Post by Flames1950 » Tue Aug 08, 2006 8:14 pm

VelvetGeorge wrote:Now I don't have any pissy ass excuses left. I better start posting killer clips real soon.

George
Well, you could still say you haven't built an actual pro studio room yet......... :wink: :lol:

VelvetGeorge
Site Owner

Post by VelvetGeorge » Tue Aug 08, 2006 8:18 pm

I could, but you guys could castrate me! And rightfully so!

All this talk about Atlantic records, Nile Rogers blah, blah blah. Sure george :roll:

VG

tonejones

Post by tonejones » Thu Aug 10, 2006 2:19 am

Anybody else gettin' different solos in your head from the chorus to this thing?????

Increase chorus progression many more times, add an E5 at the end and it's time for the lead to Tesla's 'Modern Day Cowboy'

Increase chorus progression to 4 times, modulate up a minor 3rd, and throw down Ritchie Sambora's solo from "You Give Love a Bad Name"

Damn,

I've been in toooooo many cover bands!!!!!
Let's get going, 'cause there's too much music, too little time!!!!

NitroLiq

Post by NitroLiq » Fri Aug 11, 2006 1:24 pm

Flames1950 wrote:
NitroLiq wrote:Hey Flames, while you're recording, you should record a couple clips of the JTM100...been waiting to hear it!
I thought I'd do one or two with the 45/100 and one or two with the Super Bass. I may augment them with a little JTM45/Leslie for chorusing, maybe not. :wink: And if the Super PA is done I might drop the Super Bass!!
Nah, include the Superbass...I'm kind of on a superbass kick, lately, and looking for all the clips I can find.

Flames1950

Post by Flames1950 » Fri Aug 11, 2006 4:53 pm

NitroLiq wrote:
Flames1950 wrote:
NitroLiq wrote:Hey Flames, while you're recording, you should record a couple clips of the JTM100...been waiting to hear it!
I thought I'd do one or two with the 45/100 and one or two with the Super Bass. I may augment them with a little JTM45/Leslie for chorusing, maybe not. :wink: And if the Super PA is done I might drop the Super Bass!!
Nah, include the Superbass...I'm kind of on a superbass kick, lately, and looking for all the clips I can find.
I'll try to include it (my Super PA panels didn't arrive this week anyway, big surprise....... :roll: ) Right now I'd be happy to get time to work on my first clip!!! I've got it pretty well mapped out (a real change of pace for me, not winging it!!) just gotta get it on the computer!!!

NitroLiq

Post by NitroLiq » Fri Aug 11, 2006 5:25 pm

It would be cool if you could record a couple clips of the JTM100 and Superbass while your rig is all set up. As far as this clip, I have some ideas but need to build the momentum from the chugging part to the chorus. Right now it's just a lot of wheedlie-wheedlie-wheedlie wheeeee throughout!:lol: Anyway, will probably sit down with it over the weekend in between laundry and trying to get my trannies installed...or drilling out the PT hole to fit a larger grommet...of all the things to get hung up on :roll:

Flames1950

Post by Flames1950 » Fri Aug 11, 2006 5:47 pm

Originally I was getting things set up to record plain old clips of these amps, so if it doesn't make it on the 'Jam hopefully you'll still get an earful shortly thereafter.

Both amps may make the first clip, depends on how much time I have to record......I'll be using the same cab and mic setup either way so it shuld just be a matter of switching heads.....I've probably said too much now though. :wink: :twisted: