What happened to the 'secret' pedal thread ?

For all things to build the brown sound

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, RACKSYSTEMS

7string

Re: What happened to the 'secret' pedal thread ?

Post by 7string » Sat Aug 04, 2012 2:14 pm

Mr. Twistyneck, I think that sax case is causing weird reflection issues for the mic. If you can't get a mic stand yet, use sticks and tape or pvc pipe or something else instead. Many fancy pants recordist build tunnels around the cab with chairs or pvc and throw blankets overs the top to eliminate reflections of the room's drywall, which can be troublesome as well.

Sorry for going off track here, carry on.

mr.twistyneck
Just the numbers in order: 7

Post by mr.twistyneck » Sat Aug 04, 2012 2:33 pm

agreed; also, the whole room is flat walls, nothing hanging on them, and hardwood floors. and all surrounding rooms too. the natural clanky reverb in here is nuts. i'm going to dig a 4x12 out of storage and stick it in the hall closet with a proper mic stand and run it out of the secondary speaker out of the hotplate. probably not this weekend though; potty training my 3 year old daughter - going full commando - wife's getting her hair done = no noise, no trips to music store. hrrrrmmmm.

unlock the secrets of one of the most sought after guitar tones in the world or..... no poopy diapers. man, i'm tellin' ya -that is a tough choice. but sanity prevails as to achieve tonal nirvana, one must be poopy free.

carry on!

jnewlyn
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Post by jnewlyn » Sat Aug 04, 2012 3:00 pm

I haven't read this whole thread. Where can I hear the clip/s? 8)
Cheers to the ears.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default ... ID=1214336" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

mr.twistyneck

Post by mr.twistyneck » Sat Aug 04, 2012 3:56 pm

mr.twistyneck

Post by mr.twistyneck » Tue Aug 07, 2012 12:29 am

<looks around. nope. nobody here but us crickets.>
*sigh*
Gents - i'm having a plum diddly helluva good time here. Always wanted to play with the boys, and thanks to efraser68 clueing me into the backing tracks, i was able to do so and record a snippet. So what I did here was just play along with the track on the computer, then imported the track into the computer and nudged it until it sounded more or less in time with the first time I played it. The last hour of fiddling with Audacity now represents approximately 90% of the total time I've ever spent doing anything in Audacity other than dumping a cassette tape into a stereo track for archiving. I would have finished the whole song after the break, but...Grandma came back with tater tot, and fatherly duties awaited. I have no idea how to EQ this crap - it might be a case of that it is "un-eq-able" ie: Crap In Crap Out. i'm looking at all those sliders and going "uhhhhh, i think the guy that smokes all the weed is normally the guy that plays with this stuff" - at least that's been my experience in the past. Anyhoozle, to celebrate tater tot's FINALLY learning how to pee in the potty last weekend, i decided to record with Van Halen while Ed took a pee break himself. blink blink. enjoy.

http://www.twistyneck.net/SP/080612ITOband.mp3

If anybody can write How To Set A Graphic EQ In Audacity For Dummies For That Super Special Sound and post it, it would be much appreciated. screenshots of spectrum charts are amazing; but they overtax my noggin.

-best
mr.twistyneck

jnewlyn

Post by jnewlyn » Tue Aug 07, 2012 1:10 am

:lol: :lol: I know what you mean about the trials with Audacity. I've spent hours and hours with my amp on the Jamie's Cryin backing track, trying to figure stuff out and slowly it comes around though and is pretty cool. I don't think there's anyway to duplicate the Sunset Studio's sound but here's my best effort: (guitars are a little loud :palm: )

http://www.soundclick.com/player/single ... i&newref=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You play well my friend. Much better than I. 8)
Cheers to the ears.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default ... ID=1214336" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

fhn_lopes

Post by fhn_lopes » Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:14 am

HOLY SHIT Twisty, looks like someone took some time learing the chops and notes here :champ: :champ: :champ: Outstanding

Are you using the 65w celestions??? Man, that tone is reaping, the compression, gain, everything there sounds really close IMO, but the sound is just abit muffled (maybe speakers, maybe mic :what: ).... I'll tell you, look for TWANGGG on the forum, he can tecah you how to EQ tha clip to sound like Ed Himself mate... the core tone is so good to work on... :rock: :clap:

I'd be plenty satisfied if I got a tone like that in my room, can't get that gain without boosting the amp, and unfortunetly I haven't found yet the device to do so without changing everything....

Keep posting clips like that man, it's ripping"!!
76' JMP 50w w/ 71' metro board
93' Fernandes SSS strat
93' Fender Japan HSS Strat
4x12 w/ 2x 25w rola creambacks /2x 25w m75 Scumbacks

rgorke

Post by rgorke » Tue Aug 07, 2012 1:36 pm

mr.twistyneck wrote:<looks around. nope. nobody here but us crickets.>
*sigh*
Gents - i'm having a plum diddly helluva good time here. Always wanted to play with the boys, and thanks to efraser68 clueing me into the backing tracks, i was able to do so and record a snippet. So what I did here was just play along with the track on the computer, then imported the track into the computer and nudged it until it sounded more or less in time with the first time I played it. The last hour of fiddling with Audacity now represents approximately 90% of the total time I've ever spent doing anything in Audacity other than dumping a cassette tape into a stereo track for archiving. I would have finished the whole song after the break, but...Grandma came back with tater tot, and fatherly duties awaited. I have no idea how to EQ this crap - it might be a case of that it is "un-eq-able" ie: Crap In Crap Out. i'm looking at all those sliders and going "uhhhhh, i think the guy that smokes all the weed is normally the guy that plays with this stuff" - at least that's been my experience in the past. Anyhoozle, to celebrate tater tot's FINALLY learning how to pee in the potty last weekend, i decided to record with Van Halen while Ed took a pee break himself. blink blink. enjoy.

http://www.twistyneck.net/SP/080612ITOband.mp3

If anybody can write How To Set A Graphic EQ In Audacity For Dummies For That Super Special Sound and post it, it would be much appreciated. screenshots of spectrum charts are amazing; but they overtax my noggin.

-best
mr.twistyneck
Ok, this sounds great. You need to A/B this with the ITO track from the Goldenwest show. It is perfect. As many have said, trying to nail the studio tone is tricky, to say the least.

I am not sure who has it at their finger tips an could post the first 20 secs or so but the tone is exactly the tone from the GW show.
"If you make a mistake, do it twice and smile and let people think you meant it." Jan Van Halen.

Good Guest

Post by Good Guest » Tue Aug 07, 2012 2:20 pm

Yeah I was just listening to some of the live stuff from that era and yep it's nailed ..Go Twisty Go!!!.... :thumbsup: :shred: :shred: :shred: :shred: :shred: :shred: :shred: Change dem diapers and make more clips.. :thumbsup: Talk about brown sound.. :lol: :lol:

Here is a snip of the Golden west ballroom tone:
ITOgoldenwestSnip.mp3
(666.46 KiB) Downloaded 205 times

rgorke

Post by rgorke » Tue Aug 07, 2012 3:05 pm

Thanks GG, I only had it on my iphone.

Twister, what's the signal path again? Are you using the 6 band AND the super-not-so-secret pedal?

What are you using to record into Audacity/ What interface?

Nicely done!!
"If you make a mistake, do it twice and smile and let people think you meant it." Jan Van Halen.

mr.twistyneck

Post by mr.twistyneck » Tue Aug 07, 2012 4:00 pm

thanks Gents -
yes i believe they are 65W Celestions; i'll have to check when i get home.

muffled - yes - i used this canned EQ setting in Audacity called "Acoustic" and it's one of those "hey sounded good on the desktop speakers, ewwwww not so good in headphones" chalk that up to being half deaf and attempting EQ. seriously, any bump past 10K i can't hear. oh well .

i'll try and listen to the GW ballroom gig again when i get home; it's on my phone too.

signal path (edited (and there's a link to the pic back on page 52 or 53 of all the crap involved)
Guitar - warmoth with i think a gibson PU in the bridge, into
Boss Noise Supressor.
Loop out of NS into MXR Flanger
Into MXR Phase 90
Into MXR 6 band edit: changed initial 6 band EQ setting to match grainy pic of Ed's EQ on his pedalboard
Into Throbak Overdrive Boost
Loop in to NS
Out of NS to Boss Digital Delay
To amplifer 1971 Super Lead, Ch 1. all knobs dimed except Vol II
running on a Variac. couldn't tell you what voltage, because it isn't marked and i can't find my multimeter. it's less than wall voltage, but not like 90 volts.
into Hotplate, 16 ohm, at -16db load, Bright off, Deep On, Bulbs on, bedroom level (wife 'n' kid asleep upstairs) edit: still at -16db, but with fine tune knob about 2pm i believe, so still louder, but so i could hear the backing tracks coming out of the desktop speakers too
into recyled crate fuzz combo amp with chassis removed, dual 65watt Celestions
mic'd with SM57; dig my fancy saxophone case mic stand. how's that for mic placement? edit: bought two boom stands and this little condeser mic, an MXL something or another - 59 bucks online. 57 jammed against the grill, MXL off to the side about four feet back
into M-audio Pro edit, 57 panned hard left, MXL panned hard right
into computer - Audacity
edit: played along with mp3, but only recorded guitar, then imported mp3 into Audacity and nudged tracks til they more or less aligned. no, i don't know how to make audacity play a track while i record another, and i can't find any decent headphones in the house. i elected to not add any stanky Audacity reverb. but the "Acoustic" EQ was added to the guitar tracks, and it is pretty yuk stanky.

mikefont

Post by mikefont » Sat Jul 06, 2013 6:34 pm

Reviving on old thread here....I have read most of the 54 pages but not all of them, so I dont know if this has been brought up before and I missed it (and this may be beating a dead horse), but I noticed something interesting.....

There IS photographic evidence of a Colorsound in the studio with VH during the VHII sessions in '78.

In Neil Zlol's VH Visual history book, look on page 32. In the pic of Michael Anthony, he is standing over the Colorsound pedal which is not hooked up (you can read the Colorsound logo on it). And it also looks like the pedal next to his right foot in the big pic on page 30 (with a pack of cigarettes on top of it).

So even though the pedal is over by Michael (and maybe it was HIS pedal after all), who is to say that Eddie didn't ever use it? We all know that Ed was always tinkering of his sound, and maybe he did plug into it when they were recording the first album?

Edit: Uploaded this pic....Look on the floor behind Michael...

Currently in tonal HEAVEN with my Bray 4550 Deluxe!