What happened to the 'secret' pedal thread ?

For all things to build the brown sound

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, RACKSYSTEMS

allenc5150
Just the numbers in order: 7

Re: What happened to the 'secret' pedal thread ?

Post by allenc5150 » Fri May 25, 2012 4:04 pm

rgalpin wrote:all these tone junkies and nobody has a Colorsound Overdriver to stick in front of a plexi for us to hear? i want to hear a hot plexi doing 90% of the work and Colorsound Overdriver just pushing it over the top with a little nudge. you know? maybe ted and donn heard ed and said, hey pal, check out this little baby and see what you think. they recorded the album with it - ed hated it BECAUSE IT WAS A DISTORTION BOX and so we never heard it again. how's that for a little theory based on NOTHING but pure conjecture and misdirective circumspection. 8)
I have one of these:

http://www.vintagefx.com/products-page/ ... colordrive" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If one of you guys with a plexi, especially in the NYC area, wants to test it out and can make clips, I'd be willing to lend it out.

Craig
"It is man's sympathy with all creatures that first makes him truly a man." - Albert Schweitzer

Good Guest

Post by Good Guest » Fri May 25, 2012 5:43 pm

mr.twistyneck wrote:
Actually they both do the same thing ..remember I was saying "tone shaping" adding sustain, compression, edge etc ..not FUZZ...well the mystery pedal and possibly the colorsound pedal may do that also, and that's what I want to hear...there are no magic or secret parts required either....
oh, okay, so use an MXR compressor and jack the volume and dial in the tone. sustain, compression and edge.

If you're not talking about the ColorSound pedal, then what.is.the.mystery.pedal. help.me.help.you.
For all intents and purposes the focus and purpose of this thread is on the colorsound overdrive or rather the fuzzless version of the power booster. :D :D :D forget about THE mystery pedal ..the men and black will be alerted :hide:

mr.twistyneck

Post by mr.twistyneck » Fri May 25, 2012 8:38 pm

Forget?

Mmmmmm. Nope.

Name please!

Good Guest

Post by Good Guest » Fri May 25, 2012 10:23 pm

mr.twistyneck wrote:Forget?

Mmmmmm. Nope.

Name please!
Bad Twisty :evil: You already got the C***** mod..Yer behaving like a spoiled brat.. :lol: :lol: :lol:

T.J.Fuller
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Post by T.J.Fuller » Fri May 25, 2012 10:28 pm

I sure hope that a half dozen or so around this forum do try to build some Colorsound Clones for tone testing.

I pulling my back out to get it working again.

and this has everything to do with the tone shaping capability and the ability to get a great crunchy drive , not fuzz.

I am beyond frustrated looking for someone on youtube to dial this pedal in the right way !!!

I am a firm believer in the MXR 6 band as a great pedal and there is no doubt of it being used.
and it is all over the early recordings.

but, if you build the colorsound you will get some enhanced results you dont get with MXR.
and is all VH1 sounding.

but, please don't make clips with a danelectro guitar thru a peavey classic with the neck pick up on.

and expect to display the potential of this pedal for getting that elusive VH1 grind.

...this what it it seems is all over you tube.

also, please guys use the original schematic

because it also seems that every boutique pedal makers version , has some new improvement or enhancement.
it just strays from the original.

Musictoyz.com can't keep the re-issues in stock (retail 289.00)

I still have my mouser parts list - less than 40.00 !!!

turn the pedal to point of fuzz and back it off a tad - and it will sound like an MXR 6 band with tone shaping , and you will get that biting lead tone for fast single note lead runs, that will be ear pleasing.....

seems like Ed uses the cocked wah for this feature now but, the nasal tone has got to go !!!!

OK im done playing salesman ... please guys give this a shot !!
"In search of World Class Tone"
Clips - http://www.soundclick.com/tjfuller" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.myspace.com/tjfullerproject" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

T.J.Fuller
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Post by T.J.Fuller » Fri May 25, 2012 10:45 pm

here is an ad from the musictoyz website

I feel like Facebook building up thier IPO hahahah......

The Overdriver / Power Boost

So what's the difference between the Power Boost and the Overdriver ?? Um . . . .nothing ! Except the case . The Power Boost was born in the late sixties - the idea was to give guitarists a boost . . . . . in power , and it did ! Guess it was just luck that when you turned the pedal up full it sounded like the best stack ever ! We we're really popular with glaziers in those days , windows were shattering right accross London ! Then the pedal was taken to the Dallas trade show where it was given a huge standing ovation ( like clapping - the guitars hadn't been invented yet ) and a bunch of flowers - you see the American market was ready for the sound but felt it looked a bit too . . . well . . .orange .

So , it was rehoused in a grey hammerite case , called the Overdriver , Jeff beck made 'Blow by Blow' with it , and the rest , as they say , is a mystery . . I mean history ! Recently I was lucky enough to be presented with three , unused Power Boosts circa 1968 - they we're still in their packing , never been sold - they sounded just great - just like a new one ! No kidding - I A/b tested the pedals old and new and blindfolded I couldn't tell the difference . . . well I could have felt for the master volume - we have added that - windows are expensive these days !

PS yes this is the Dave Gilmour one !

Circuit Board Click !

SOLD OUT NO MORE COMING !!

ok ..fire up the soldering irons.....print yer schematic ...and ..go
"In search of World Class Tone"
Clips - http://www.soundclick.com/tjfuller" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.myspace.com/tjfullerproject" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

MrBeasty

Post by MrBeasty » Fri May 25, 2012 10:54 pm

I think the missing ingredient is boosting, with a smudge of grit added ... but it is not "regular" boosting. Most boosters on the markets offer stuff like a "whooping 23dB boost" etc. I think we are looking way beyond that safety zone. We are looking for a booster that was not designed to work with other pedals, something that only a tube front end can stomach without melting. A "pedal killer".

Tonight I tried my BSM RPA booster on my Egnater Rebel 20, set for a clean sound. The RPA can generate up to 6volts of output, or about twice what a pedal can receive. It made the amp sing beautifully.
I will do more testing tomorrow with a Plexi circuit. The RPA was designed for a Blackmore sound (strat & Mashall Major), so it works the wrong frequencies, but I think it validates that there might be something there, and that, given the right tools, it may work.

leadguy

Post by leadguy » Sat May 26, 2012 12:14 am

"When your swinging, Swing some MORE" ~Monk

mr.twistyneck

Post by mr.twistyneck » Sat May 26, 2012 2:13 am

. Bad Twisty You already got the C***** mod..Yer behaving like a spoiled brat..
Chris M e r r e n, mentioned his mod on the PPBB, I asked him to clarify, and he laid it out. There was no carrot-dangling involved. I respectfully ask you to disclose, to me, via PM. I am not a spoiled brat - I'm just a player whose personal desert island album is VH1.

dirtycooter

Post by dirtycooter » Sat May 26, 2012 2:23 am

Definitly perty soundin. With too much its Hendrixy kinda rasp. But I can see maybe somethin happening here.

And the mad dash for the pedal is ON! Like Early Cuyler in SAIGON!! :lol: !

dazzlindino

Post by dazzlindino » Sat May 26, 2012 8:52 am

Last edited by dazzlindino on Mon Jun 04, 2012 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I want my music waking up the dead...
Dont tell me to turn it down

if its not loud enough you must be really old...huh,what,what did you play?

rgalpin

Post by rgalpin » Sat May 26, 2012 10:31 am

dazzlindino wrote:
again...cause everyone are using a clean setting on the amp....
cranked amp.......then add some pedal......
yep.

Good Guest

Post by Good Guest » Sat May 26, 2012 10:42 am

mr.twistyneck wrote:
. Bad Twisty You already got the C***** mod..Yer behaving like a spoiled brat..
Chris M e r r e n, mentioned his mod on the PPBB, I asked him to clarify, and he laid it out. There was no carrot-dangling involved. I respectfully ask you to disclose, to me, via PM. I am not a spoiled brat - I'm just a player whose personal desert island album is VH1.
You do pretty well with the C mod ...if it were meant for you to have the carrot dangler mod it would be disclosed if not by me by guess who?

plexivanhalen says he's figured it out too...maybe work on him...actually he is not the only one either :idea: ...get that old noggin worken... :bang:

Tone Slinger

Post by Tone Slinger » Sat May 26, 2012 11:04 am

I hope all this debating over pedals will, AT LEAST, get us back to where we were before all this (secret pedal) got rehashed, which is, there was NO SECRET PEDAL !

Even 'SEEN' pedals on Ed's board like the 6 band, were more than likely used just for the Univox to be loud enough, or as line/level boosts used to compensate long cable runs, etc.

The Friedman spec (or one pretty close to it) seems to be what Ed had in that 12xxx head back then. That with the high bias and variac was 'it'. I think the Franky, AS IT WAS on VH1, was all black with that rosewood board neck (smaller frets, 7 1/4 or possibly 9 or 10 radius) and a Mighty Mite OR even a true Dimarzio Super Distortion. We all know how much push and sizzle those things have, even compared to a JB.

Even under the BEST circumstances, ALL of the previously mentioned pedals, just DO NOT increase what a good plexi is doing, they only DECREASE and get you further away. A hi/lo bandpass filter type circuit (tubescreamer) can get certain qualities, but the loss of bottom end bloom and high end sparkle (plus all that compression :x ) just takes it further away as well.

Like Strat78 mentioned earlier somewhere, a 6 band eq MAY have been used as a front end boost (not for live and/or Univox purposes) on possibly 'On Fire'. You can hear the smear and loss of definition.
Rip Ben Wise (StuntDouble) & Mark Abrahamian (Rockstah)

dazzlindino

Post by dazzlindino » Sat May 26, 2012 11:10 am

Last edited by dazzlindino on Mon Jun 04, 2012 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I want my music waking up the dead...
Dont tell me to turn it down

if its not loud enough you must be really old...huh,what,what did you play?