What happened to the 'secret' pedal thread ?

For all things to build the brown sound

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, RACKSYSTEMS

vanhalen5150
Just the numbers in order: 7

Re: What happened to the 'secret' pedal thread ?

Post by vanhalen5150 » Sat Jul 28, 2012 7:07 am

Even without the EQ. The EC80 and Echoplex have tons of gain when combined like that. They build on each other.
12000 Metro Kit

vh1tone

Post by vh1tone » Sat Jul 28, 2012 9:10 am

Good Guest wrote:Such a simple little circuit ..would fit nicely in the box 1 ....without the gawd awful pedal. :mrgreen: :clap: :thumbsup: :champ: Jeez we should be getting evh clips all day long here.....after we scoop up all those beans.. :lol: :lol:

True those things are rare rare and then rare...Jimmy page sure liked them and boy do they stick out like a sore :thumbsup: ...I can just see EVH at a led zep concert going I want one of them tank boxs..and then stuck with the problem of hiding it.. :lol: :lol: How the hell?..well it's easy...just put in a permanent gain control..sound familliar???...Goodbye humongous tank box ..hello tiny circuit in an empty suppa fuzz container.... :rock:

Good to see Vh1tone :whistle: dixie....Ha from a Canuck yet..like we know the land of cotton... :clap: :toast:
Yeah it is a simple circuit, that with a few tweaks and changes will reward you :whistle:

vh1tone

Post by vh1tone » Sat Jul 28, 2012 9:15 am

rgorke wrote:Good thing Rockstah is banned....
Why ? Fraudstah will still be able to see all this. It is an open forum :what:

rgorke
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Post by rgorke » Sat Jul 28, 2012 9:18 am

vh1tone wrote:
rgorke wrote:Good thing Rockstah is banned....
Why ? Fraudstah will still be able to see all this. It is an open forum :what:
Oh no!!!!!
"If you make a mistake, do it twice and smile and let people think you meant it." Jan Van Halen.

Good Guest

Post by Good Guest » Sat Jul 28, 2012 12:27 pm

vh1tone wrote:
Yeah it is a simple circuit, that with a few tweaks and changes will reward you :whistle:
True ...now they are going to want to know what to tweak...you know. :wink: I've said enough I'll leave that one to you.. :D

vh1tone

Post by vh1tone » Sat Jul 28, 2012 1:01 pm

Good Guest wrote:
vh1tone wrote:
True ...now they are going to want to know what to tweak...you know. :wink: I've said enough I'll leave that one to you.. :D
Simple, they can fire up their soldering irons, build the circuit and experiment and learn how the circuit works. It's all part of the fun :) We're talking basic electronics here with this circuit, so it would be a great first time build for a beginner :rock:

T.J.Fuller
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Post by T.J.Fuller » Sat Jul 28, 2012 1:45 pm

wow ..this thread started out kinda cool , then after a while it fell off a cliff, now it comes back around because an ec-80 is part colorsound ??!!! get the hell outta here !!

I posted about 2 years ago Eddie was sitting on 16 EC-80s at 5150, but that fell on deaf ears.....

So now this secret pedal thread may make it to 60 pages ??

someone call Peter Clinch

...maybe we can get a ClinchFX UNI-PRE pedal going .... w/ tone controls :whistle:
"In search of World Class Tone"
Clips - http://www.soundclick.com/tjfuller" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.myspace.com/tjfullerproject" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Good Guest

Post by Good Guest » Sat Jul 28, 2012 3:21 pm

Ha ....We can do the R&D ***** gets to pinch it ...sounds like a slogan... :lol:

Actually what is needed are clips that show what works and what doesn't ..not business hype and promotion of what may turn out to be a goose chase..

I think Vh1tones idea is a good one...look what happened to R***** now people call him F**** cause he walked away and sponged the forum, walking to the bank with sacks of money..speaking of geese ....what's good for the goose is good for the gander....besides like spaceace was saying a while back...it just takes a a week for the cloners to tool up and flood the market...

Seriously this is a build amp forum...the builders here should have no problem building there own pedal..safe, cheap and rewarding..and there are people out there that can source parts like no tomorrow and have silk screened boards in a heart beat...go way back in the thread and you'll see.

All we got to do is iron out the bugs and make clips , so were not subjected to someone else s neurosis on what the tone should be ..we'll create the tone. :rock: Decide how it should be and this is the place to do it. :hairband:

guitar007

Post by guitar007 » Sat Jul 28, 2012 4:23 pm

T.J.Fuller wrote:wow ..this thread started out kinda cool , then after a while it fell off a cliff, now it comes back around because an ec-80 is part colorsound ??!!! get the hell outta here !!

I posted about 2 years ago Eddie was sitting on 16 EC-80s at 5150, but that fell on deaf ears.....

So now this secret pedal thread may make it to 60 pages ??

someone call Peter Clinch

...maybe we can get a ClinchFX UNI-PRE pedal going .... w/ tone controls :whistle:
I was thinking the same thing... :popcorn:
~guitar007

Good Guest

Post by Good Guest » Sat Jul 28, 2012 5:23 pm

Actually the Univox pre and colorsound , to me are more Throbaks department .....as they are so close ..the throbak colorsounds can probably offer tone bypass and tone enhancement, easily....parts swap out easier and more so worth calling than Clinch...that way the "I want my Uni pre vh tone now " crowd can get there pound of flesh quickly. Jeez EVH yer bro was right.. 8) :whistle:

The other pedal is already made and marketed ..no need to call anyone over that one.,,But Vh1tone is right ..It can be done here for a more EVH type tone. :thumbsup:

mr.twistyneck

Post by mr.twistyneck » Wed Aug 01, 2012 1:32 am

errrr
*disclaimers: Late, not an audio engineer, unsure how to use this m-audio thing and audacity, and this is all recorded at bedroom level. and not eq'd.

guitar>a bunch of pedals, including an mxr graphic 6band injecting a Throbak, into SL. crappy reverb courtesy Gverb, which i don't know how to set. delay is a boss dd3.

need to record at stupid loud levels (possibly this weekend if i can get the womenfolk to go shopping). how the heck do you set the graphic EQ? i've got the 1.6 notched way up, but don't have any clue what i'm doing.

Stumblin' with the Debbie http://www.twistyneck.net/SP/SP%20RWTD.mp3
Weedily End of YRGM http://www.twistyneck.net/SP/SP%20YRGM%20END.mp3
I'm The Bun, an ode to carbs http://www.twistyneck.net/SP/SP%20ITO.mp3
Atermerk Pernk http://www.twistyneck.net/SP/SP%20AP.mp3
En Fuego http://www.twistyneck.net/SP/SP%20OF%20take%203.mp3
Spurt http://www.twistyneck.net/SP/SP%20ERP.mp3

fhn_lopes

Post by fhn_lopes » Wed Aug 01, 2012 8:02 am

mr.twistyneck wrote:errrr
guitar>a bunch of pedals, including an mxr graphic 6band injecting a Throbak, into SL. crappy reverb courtesy Gverb, which i don't know how to set. delay is a boss dd3.
What EXACTLY do you mean with BUNCH OF PEDALS?? :shock: :shock: Trhow them to us, man that's ripping!

Twisty has the tecnique nailed pretty good, that helps. Plus the gain is all there, in spades.

Twisty, I think for you now it is more about learning to mic the amp than other thing... you're very close IMO, I think some twaeking with mic positions, using the correct delay speed (too slow) and taking that crappy verb out with too much high end...

My suggestion: Double the tracks, pan'em left and right 100%. Record them DRY (no delay or verb, but other effects yes). Right track you add verb plugin very wet and lower the volume. Left track you add the slapback delay in the correct speed. Use good verb and echo plugins (I like guitar rig 4 space echo and quad delay plugins, but there's better ones) other than the DD3 and tha crappy verb pedal.

Magic is if you could get an EP3 or a good tape echo with the clinch ep-pre.... The phaser stuff is very good!!!

Man I can hear that tone in the room, might be very accurate :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
76' JMP 50w w/ 71' metro board
93' Fernandes SSS strat
93' Fender Japan HSS Strat
4x12 w/ 2x 25w rola creambacks /2x 25w m75 Scumbacks

Good Guest

Post by Good Guest » Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:24 am

Holy smokes Twisty that's some chops and technique you got going and yep the tone is in their. :rock:
Still think the tone control part of the colorsound has to go tho...that tone control sucks juice also, even with the knobs trurned off...the mxr 6 band and colorsound are the way to go.. :thumbsup:

mr.twistyneck

Post by mr.twistyneck » Wed Aug 01, 2012 12:42 pm

Thanks guys

Here's a pic of all the variables in the equation, save for the variac, which i forgot to take a pic of. i didn't take a pic of my computer and M-audio box, cuz well... who cares?

http://imgur.com/MPx40

Guitar - warmoth with i think a gibson PU in the bridge, into
Boss Noise Supressor.
Loop out of NS into MXR Flanger
Into MXR Phase 90
Into MXR 6 band
Into Throbak Overdrive Boost
Loop in to NS
Out of NS to Boss Digital Delay
To amplifer 1971 Super Lead, Ch 1. all knobs dimed except Vol II
running on a Variac. couldn't tell you what voltage, because it isn't marked and i can't find my multimeter. it's less than wall voltage, but not like 90 volts.
into Hotplate, 16 ohm, at -16db load, Bright off, Deep On, Bulbs on, bedroom level (wife 'n' kid asleep upstairs)
into recyled crate fuzz combo amp with chassis removed, dual 65watt Celestions
mic'd with SM57; dig my fancy saxophone case mic stand. how's that for mic placement?
into M-audio Pro
into computer - Audacity
recorded dry track in one pass
copied track, applied stanky gverb reverb
made dry track mono, left reverb track on one side, but centered. truly no idea what i'm doing here. i'm used to a four track cassette deck.
split tracks with labels; output to mp3s, post the lot.

that's all i got right now; need to figure out how to eq an entire track etc (per fhn-lopes) and i'll likely try a CS/PB circuit with no tone stack or ping Throbak about disabling. also need to record at high volume.

fhn_lopes

Post by fhn_lopes » Wed Aug 01, 2012 12:59 pm

Man, I tell you... You DIDN'T USE greenbacks and it sounded damn close... I wouldn't bother at all with colorsound thing, just get this rig Through a pair of ROla greenbacks or some m75 scumbacks and you'll see what happends... pure :evh: mate...

That noise supression thing, isn't it sucking signal??? Damn that looked a way to go for me (I have hiss issues).... Also, more volume would help too, but greenbacks are a must IMO..

The cool thing in your sound is that you have the pick attack sounding DAMN CLOSE to EVH and I think it's not only technique, but maybe the colorsound circuit doing it's magic? :rock: :rock: :rock: Really impressed of what is going on there! Way to go!

Not sure if you need to Eq tracks, just record'em dry and use good delay plugins or get a more organic delay pedal, I hate DD3s.... but that's me... try GR4 space echo.. I use it at times and it's very good IMO.

For recording, placing the mic in different positions arround the cap and cone is a pain in the ass but worth the try, trust me. when you use 2 copied tracks, it is suggested to pan them 100% right and left, but for VH, left track at 100% volume, right track very low, like 20% maybe :what: .... nothing on center... it's more a hit and miss thing...
76' JMP 50w w/ 71' metro board
93' Fernandes SSS strat
93' Fender Japan HSS Strat
4x12 w/ 2x 25w rola creambacks /2x 25w m75 Scumbacks