What happened to the 'secret' pedal thread ?

For all things to build the brown sound

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, RACKSYSTEMS

dazzlindino
Just the numbers in order: 7

Re: What happened to the 'secret' pedal thread ?

Post by dazzlindino » Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:32 pm

vanhalen5150 wrote:
dazzlindino wrote:
vanhalen5150 wrote:GG is correct. You can see the different version indicated by the front panel light so I've been told. One version has a red light and the other has a smaller silver version.

and the Van Halen correct color is?
From the pics I think he has one of each. :lol:

Makes ya think doesn't it? :clap:
oh gosh dangiddit......mine has a red light......
I want my music waking up the dead...
Dont tell me to turn it down

if its not loud enough you must be really old...huh,what,what did you play?

vanhalen5150

Post by vanhalen5150 » Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:38 pm

rgorke wrote:I thought he was refering to cost of EC-80s going up. I just bid on one and was outbid within 10 mins, you vulchers.

I think Ben did some work with the EC-80 and didn't get too far, maybe he had the wrong type???

That being said, we have been told that the Univox was only patched in for Eruption.
Attachments
VUL.jpg
VUL.jpg (32.18 KiB) Viewed 1979 times
12000 Metro Kit

guitar007

Post by guitar007 » Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:43 pm

Help me understand. So the secret pedal is an EC80....neither a pedal nor a secret?? I've got 2 working units...that I'll have to spend a little more quality time with.
~guitar007

dazzlindino

Post by dazzlindino » Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:45 pm

guitar007 wrote:Help me understand. So the secret pedal is an EC80....neither a pedal nor a secret?? I've got 2 working units...that I'll have to spend a little more quality time with.
cool....let us know....mine is under technical supervision at the moment.......wahhh

mr.twistyneck

Post by mr.twistyneck » Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:51 pm

HAAAAAAAAAAA HAA HA HA HA HA HA HA. Annnnnnnddddd THEY'RE OFF!!!
i USED to have TWO EC-80's - one working, one for parts. dumped 'em 15 years ago.
had a tube echoplex too . sold that to Sterling Ball around the same time.
Had a ColorSound Overdriver - vintage. sold that years ago on eBay for like twenty bucks.

makes me want to spit. i can solder with the best, just don't have the time. dangit. dangit. dangit.

Good Guest

Post by Good Guest » Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:52 pm

guitar007 wrote:Help me understand. So the secret pedal is an EC80....neither a pedal nor a secret?? I've got 2 working units...that I'll have to spend a little more quality time with.
Sorta... kinda.... maybe .... :what: :whistle:

mr.twistyneck

Post by mr.twistyneck » Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:59 pm

The EC-80A is an effect.
but it has quarter inch inputs.
and it's kinda big.
so it's like a big pedal.
a big pedal whose job was NOT overdrive, boost, distortion, gain, etc.
But - per the circuit similarities - it does do something other than just the delay effect. Probably not the design intent, but nobody was probably worried about true bypass back then, especially with a cheap tape delay that used Dictograph tape cassettes.

so it is an effect that had extra benefits other than its intended use. in theory. heh.

dazzlindino

Post by dazzlindino » Fri Jul 27, 2012 1:03 pm

mr.twistyneck wrote:HAAAAAAAAAAA HAA HA HA HA HA HA HA. Annnnnnnddddd THEY'RE OFF!!!
i USED to have TWO EC-80's - one working, one for parts. dumped 'em 15 years ago.
had a tube echoplex too . sold that to Sterling Ball around the same time.
Had a ColorSound Overdriver - vintage. sold that years ago on eBay for like twenty bucks.

makes me want to spit. i can solder with the best, just don't have the time. dangit. dangit. dangit.
Woooo..its all sooo clear.....bummer dat'.... :stars:
it would be simple enough to change a pot and a cpl resistors / capacitors......
yep... would like to have some stuff I have let go / destroyed...who knew???.... :shrug:
glad to know you picked that colorful clone thingy over the other thingies that we p.m.'d about.... :toast:

Good Guest

Post by Good Guest » Fri Jul 27, 2012 1:06 pm

Just get a power boost and bypass the gawd awful tone section...and boost it with a mxr 6 band ... :champ: :champ: :hairband: :hairband: :hairband: :hairband: :hairband: You'll be miles ahead . :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Don't feed the ebay gougers and don't even bother with the univox echo's ..there really crap units..and even crappier after decades of shelf life...

Maybe the throbucks guy has an tone control bypass switch...Twisty says there good ..they must be OK

It's all about the type of amplifier in the univox echo ....and the power boost and overdriver...that's the key thing...not the vintage quality of the parts...no mojo etc ....transistors aren't really all that important....it's the type of amp it is and I'm not gonna feed the lurking sponges with any more info... :thumbsup: :lol:

rgorke
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Post by rgorke » Fri Jul 27, 2012 2:05 pm

Good Guest wrote:Just get a power boost and bypass the gawd awful tone section...and boost it with a mxr 6 band ... :champ: :champ: :hairband: :hairband: :hairband: :hairband: :hairband: You'll be miles ahead . :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Don't feed the ebay gougers and don't even bother with the univox echo's ..there really crap units..and even crappier after decades of shelf life...

Maybe the throbucks guy has an tone control bypass switch...Twisty says there good ..they must be OK

It's all about the type of amplifier in the univox echo ....and the power boost and overdriver...that's the key thing...not the vintage quality of the parts...no mojo etc ....transistors aren't really all that important....it's the type of amp it is and I'm not gonna feed the lurking sponges with any more info... :thumbsup: :lol:
Aw come on, please!!!
Attachments
Spongebob.jpg
Spongebob.jpg (13.21 KiB) Viewed 1970 times
"If you make a mistake, do it twice and smile and let people think you meant it." Jan Van Halen.

vh1tone

Post by vh1tone » Fri Jul 27, 2012 3:27 pm

:whistle:
unidrive.jpg
(65.49 KiB) Downloaded 422 times

mr.twistyneck

Post by mr.twistyneck » Fri Jul 27, 2012 3:32 pm

AWWWW SNAP!!!

Somebody get a dustpan, there's beans all over the place!!!!

good luck finding one of those for less than a grand. if at all.

rgorke
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Post by rgorke » Fri Jul 27, 2012 3:49 pm

Good thing Rockstah is banned....
"If you make a mistake, do it twice and smile and let people think you meant it." Jan Van Halen.

Good Guest

Post by Good Guest » Fri Jul 27, 2012 8:59 pm

Such a simple little circuit ..would fit nicely in the box 1 ....without the gawd awful pedal. :mrgreen: :clap: :thumbsup: :champ: Jeez we should be getting evh clips all day long here.....after we scoop up all those beans.. :lol: :lol:

True those things are rare rare and then rare...Jimmy page sure liked them and boy do they stick out like a sore :thumbsup: ...I can just see EVH at a led zep concert going I want one of them tank boxs..and then stuck with the problem of hiding it.. :lol: :lol: How the hell?..well it's easy...just put in a permanent gain control..sound familliar???...Goodbye humongous tank box ..hello tiny circuit in an empty suppa fuzz container.... :rock:

Good to see Vh1tone :whistle: dixie....Ha from a Canuck yet..like we know the land of cotton... :clap: :toast:

leadguy

Post by leadguy » Fri Jul 27, 2012 11:19 pm

We know from Rudy that Ed used a MXR EQ and the Univox EC-80 in the chain for VH1 Eruption.

I think it was something like this

Phase->MXR EQ->Univox EC-80->Echoplex->Amp

That's a EQ boost into a Colorsound like circuit for most of Eruption and then at the end the Univox delay get's switched on (probably by a footswitch).

Whether Ed had this chain for most of VH1, who knows, if someone hears the VH1 Eruption tone on all the other tracks then to their ears it would be the same setup as VH1 Eruption.

Plus there are pretty good possibilities of Ed having a compressor EP-3 Echoplex(es) and a Jose Zener Master on his main amp.

Once all these things are added up, then it's not really a case of how did Ed get his gain and sustain, but more like how could he not get his gain and sustain.

Also, the end of VH1 Eruption might even be Ed fuking around with the Univox and Echoplex delays at the same time but Ed just fuks with the Univox delay live and it never quite sounds the same as VH1.
"When your swinging, Swing some MORE" ~Monk