Official Feedback thread for the RWTD ISO VS. YOUR CLIP.

For all things to build the brown sound

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, RACKSYSTEMS

dazzlindino
Just the numbers in order: 7

Re: Official Feedback thread for the RWTD ISO VS. YOUR CLIP.

Post by dazzlindino » Tue Jul 24, 2012 1:19 pm

Thorny wrote:Roger,
This may help.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mWEeGqB7x1k[/youtube]
That was cool....dig his micro tuning tips....and his old school peterson tuner... :rock:
I want my music waking up the dead...
Dont tell me to turn it down

if its not loud enough you must be really old...huh,what,what did you play?

cary chilton

Post by cary chilton » Tue Jul 24, 2012 1:33 pm

Curt rocks! Nice adaption of Ed's style without ripping off Ed. That bend on the Bstring thing I always did on my old guitar, cause I always detune the B string. Roger, just keep downstrokes going for most all rhythm and economy pick leads. I will make youtube videos when I am back home. Right now, I am in the process of selling, packing, shipping shit.... so...

rgalpin

Post by rgalpin » Tue Jul 24, 2012 3:33 pm

Thorny wrote:GG,
So maybe the attack noise that Rgalpin hears in my clip has to do with negative feedback. The NFB is around 100k on my clip. I wonder if changing it back to 27kish would get rid of that glassiness.
that might go toward matching that hardness youe hear on the verse riff too. that would beinteresting to hear the difference. part of that hardness on the verse is that it seems as though ed turns the volume down until the headroom gets really noticeable - giving that harder sound by not mashing off the tops with compression.

Thorny

Post by Thorny » Tue Jul 24, 2012 3:39 pm

rgalpin wrote:
Thorny wrote:GG,
So maybe the attack noise that Rgalpin hears in my clip has to do with negative feedback. The NFB is around 100k on my clip. I wonder if changing it back to 27kish would get rid of that glassiness.
that might go toward matching that hardness youe hear on the verse riff too. that would beinteresting to hear the difference. part of that hardness on the verse is that it seems as though ed turns the volume down until the headroom gets really noticeable - giving that harder sound by not mashing off the tops with compression.
Unfortunately I'm on a 5 week vacation so no clips for me for awhile. :(

dazzlindino

Post by dazzlindino » Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:34 pm

efraser68 wrote:Someone should post a YT clip of how to get the left hand slide/pick scrape done properly. Do both hands move together downward towards headstock...does the left hand start at the nut and the right hand pick scrape by the pickups. :what: :shrug:

just worked on this for a bit....the way i am hearing it is.......
short pickslide by bridge...then left hand hammer to 12th fret.....
pickslide starts on beat...then the slide......

dazzlindino

Post by dazzlindino » Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:43 pm

rgalpin wrote:did thorny post a new clip? the one i have heard has great tone - and it has a lot of the same vocal quality and grind etc... but listen to the noisy attack - it's completely different.

i mean - hats off to thorny b/c it's a GREAT sounding clip. but to say that THAT is as close as he, or we, can get... i'd say you all are giving up way too quickly.

listen to the swishy squeaking sound that the pick makes as it moves across the strings at the beginning of every chord. :shock:
Rob...dont know if you had listened to this version or not.....
I am thinking bottom to mids is pretty close.....but hey I started out as a drummer ...until Ed came along... :lol:

Re: The Official RWTD ISO VS. YOUR CLIP thread-CLIPS ONLY!!!
by Thorny » Thu Jul 19, 2012 4:21 pm

Back to the Celestion clip

http://www.soundclick.com/player/single" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... 77083&q=hi

rgalpin

Post by rgalpin » Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:54 am

dazzlindino wrote:
rgalpin wrote:did thorny post a new clip? the one i have heard has great tone - and it has a lot of the same vocal quality and grind etc... but listen to the noisy attack - it's completely different.

i mean - hats off to thorny b/c it's a GREAT sounding clip. but to say that THAT is as close as he, or we, can get... i'd say you all are giving up way too quickly.

listen to the swishy squeaking sound that the pick makes as it moves across the strings at the beginning of every chord. :shock:
I am thinking bottom to mids is pretty close.....but hey I started out as a drummer ...until Ed came along... :lol:
yes - this clip:
Thorny wrote:Back to the Celestion clip

http://www.soundclick.com/player/single ... 77083&q=hi" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
like i said - IT'S GREAT! and like you said: "I am thinking bottom to mids is pretty close....." yes!

BUT! (do ya love me?)

3 things about it can be closer and they may be related - OR - they may just be in the recording technique - OR - playing technique - don't know... but those 3 things are:

1. The swishy, zipper sound of the pick (and perhaps the left hand fingers) moving across the strings messes up the power of the attack on each chord. this swishy zipper noise is not present in the iso. to hear what i am talking about crank yer amp up and just move the pick across the strings while muting with your left hand and make a zipper noise. that's the noise.
2. There is a wooly opaque quality to the low mids that FEELS to me like a "lack of headroom" problem - with no headroom all those mids are getting pushed together and so there is a lack of air compared to the iso. lack or air = lack of power. like trying to throw a punch from 2 inches.
3. The verse lacks the hardness that we talked about - i believe that the hardness that comes through when the guitar vol is turned down is a clue about how it sounds when the guitar vol is full up. :scratch:

again - imo thorny is getting great tone! my comments are all in regard to a direct comparison with the iso. :rockon:

Thorny

Post by Thorny » Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:25 am

rgalpin wrote:
dazzlindino wrote:

yes - this clip:

http://www.soundclick.com/player/single ... 77083&q=hi" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
like i said - IT'S GREAT! and like you said: "I am thinking bottom to mids is pretty close....." yes!

BUT! (do ya love me?)

3 things about it can be closer and they may be related - OR - they may just be in the recording technique - OR - playing technique - don't know... but those 3 things are:

1. The swishy, zipper sound of the pick (and perhaps the left hand fingers) moving across the strings messes up the power of the attack on each chord. this swishy zipper noise is not present in the iso. to hear what i am talking about crank yer amp up and just move the pick across the strings while muting with your left hand and make a zipper noise. that's the noise.
2. There is a wooly opaque quality to the low mids that FEELS to me like a "lack of headroom" problem - with no headroom all those mids are getting pushed together and so there is a lack of air compared to the iso. lack or air = lack of power. like trying to throw a punch from 2 inches.
3. The verse lacks the hardness that we talked about - i believe that the hardness that comes through when the guitar vol is turned down is a clue about how it sounds when the guitar vol is full up. :scratch:

again - imo thorny is getting great tone! my comments are all in regard to a direct comparison with the iso. :rockon:
Well let's see if we can figure this out. Let's rule out the guitar and pickup first. Here is another clip with a different guitar and pickup. Even though I'm not playing the same song it actually might be good to see if those same things you are hearing exist in this other clip.

http://www.soundclick.com/player/single ... i&newref=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I can think of a couple of other things to try. My clip was recorded using the tube rectifier. I can switch over to solid state rectifier like a normal superlead circuit and try that. That will up the plate voltage and stiffen things up. The othe factor could be the NFB. I can stiffen the amp big time by messing with that. I can try and play it differently too. It could also have to do with the mic I'm using to record with. Let me know what you hear. :toast:

dazzlindino

Post by dazzlindino » Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:50 am

Rob....do u posses ultra sonic ears...HaHa.... :lol:
will have to listen to the clip again...and listen for what you pointed out...... :thumbsup:
will also have to listen to the clip thorny just posted to see the similarities or not between the takes....
very interesting...my dear watson...... :toast:

Thorny

Post by Thorny » Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:23 am

dazzlindino wrote:Rob....do u posses ultra sonic ears...HaHa.... :lol::toast:
Attachments
tumblr_latrj9Iriw1qeu412o1_500.jpg
tumblr_latrj9Iriw1qeu412o1_500.jpg (38.7 KiB) Viewed 2595 times

rgalpin

Post by rgalpin » Wed Jul 25, 2012 12:08 pm

dude - that's me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! haha! :lol:

i listen in headphones - for better or worse it allows me to hear "things" -

Thorny - I will listen to that clip you posted but I KNOW it won't help me when it's not in an A/B formatted clip. lame i know. but I have ZERO memory when it comes to tone - without an A/B i just love EVERYTHING that comes even close to a good plexi tone. :peace:

listened to it. LOVE IT! see?

KILLER to hear those lead riffs from Hang Em High!! NICE!

cary chilton

Post by cary chilton » Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:00 pm

yeah, Thorny nice Hang em High, tone was sweet for that one, too. I wonder how Panama or HFT would sound ? Clips?

dazzlindino

Post by dazzlindino » Wed Jul 25, 2012 7:32 pm

yes - this clip:

BUT! (do ya love me?)

Well let's see if we can figure this out. Let's rule out the guitar and pickup first. Here is another clip with a different guitar and pickup. Even though I'm not playing the same song it actually might be good to see if those same things you are hearing exist in this other clip.

http://www.soundclick.com/player/single ... i&newref=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I can think of a couple of other things to try. My clip was recorded using the tube rectifier. I can switch over to solid state rectifier like a normal superlead circuit and try that. That will up the plate voltage and stiffen things up. The othe factor could be the NFB. I can stiffen the amp big time by messing with that. I can try and play it differently too. It could also have to do with the mic I'm using to record with. Let me know what you hear. :toast:[/quote]

some excellent playing and tone.....seems to be alot of "sharp" high end....I know you have probably stated a dozen times what mike it is ....but what mike r u using?

Thorny

Post by Thorny » Thu Jul 26, 2012 4:11 pm

rgalpin wrote:dude - that's me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! haha! :lol:

i listen in headphones - for better or worse it allows me to hear "things" -

Thorny - I will listen to that clip you posted but I KNOW it won't help me when it's not in an A/B formatted clip. lame i know. but I have ZERO memory when it comes to tone - without an A/B i just love EVERYTHING that comes even close to a good plexi tone. :peace:

listened to it. LOVE IT! see?

KILLER to hear those lead riffs from Hang Em High!! NICE!
:thumbsup:

Thorny

Post by Thorny » Thu Jul 26, 2012 4:12 pm

cary chilton wrote:yeah, Thorny nice Hang em High, tone was sweet for that one, too. I wonder how Panama or HFT would sound ? Clips?
:thumbsup: