There's that tone again!

For all things to build the brown sound

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, RACKSYSTEMS

echoplexi1974
Just the numbers in order: 13492

There's that tone again!

Post by echoplexi1974 » Fri Sep 11, 2015 8:46 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t3HrOHhJMUU

Sounds like the Pasadena Civic tone. Exta gain and crispier tone. Also more feedback.

MXR eq?

Tazin

Re: There's that tone again!

Post by Tazin » Fri Sep 11, 2015 9:12 am

Actually, he's got the exact same tone here as found on the Golden West Ballroom 1976 bootleg. I don't know how he's acquiring it but it is killer sounding.

plexified

Post by plexified » Fri Sep 11, 2015 2:03 pm

Good find , tone sounds good for sure , maybe a lil cold . Here check this concept out . Pasadena civic center is a good example here . If you listen to the show just flipping track to track you will find ATBL finishing and Eds new tone that night. He switches a different 'package' on and you hear it in the riff and for the rest of the show his tone gets warmer and smoother. Its like he switched on his 'solo' rig for ATBL to get it warmed up . AND , it you notice , the rest of the show gets warmer and warmer as the plexi heats up ! I laughed at this because I origionally got the show bootleg a loooong time ago and it had the show cut in half . So I heard the middle of the show forward, which was ATBL and I heard the cut and the tone was different as it was the start of the show . BUT when you listen start to finish its clear as day. "Something" happens and its clearly a different rig . Much warmer and tone laden from start of the show. Personally it tells me he was using the live rig which was not road proven and he reamped here . Its why its just a blip and not the cornerstone of the show. Like he is saving it . Of course for the solo. After he lost the rigs on the Pan AM situation , I can imagine how freaked out he was. More experimentation and it just never stopped until a guy that started a guitar company , started an Amp venture. Only makes sense . But listen to the tone on that lick in between ATBL when the song ends and his tuning where Al is doing the same . Pretty epic right their. :toast:

plexified

Post by plexified » Fri Sep 11, 2015 2:07 pm

I was not clear in saying that I think he switched on his live rig or the one he used to record the first album live. Something that was perhaps to complex to just let it hang out all the time . Saved for just the right times , like recording or 'the solo'. Its probably the #1 head , be it stock , reamped or whatever. Just obvious it warms up as its played more and its definitely smoother and has more tone.

bmf5150

Post by bmf5150 » Fri Sep 11, 2015 11:40 pm

Sounds like those very early 20 watt greenback to me,which are what the celestion heritage and evh green backs are based off of..vh1 sounds more like pre rolas to me
R.I.P My precious daughter Aubrey Marie May 20th to May 23rd 2006,we love and miss you!
My EVH sound clips.
http://soundclick.com/share?songid=7782093" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

jnew

Post by jnew » Mon Oct 19, 2015 2:28 pm

Man, I missed this one too. :bang:
Interesting how this one divulges a lot of microphonic squeal with his PU. The laboratory days. :lol:

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default ... ID=1214336" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;