MM Axiom Wiring Question

Get support and show off your MetroAmp JTM 45 kit builds.

Moderator: VelvetGeorge

thetasigma

MM Axiom Wiring Question

Post by thetasigma » Mon Aug 08, 2005 1:15 am

Hi, newbie amp builder here with some questions for the experts. Also I apologise if these questions have been asked at different areas.

Anyway, here's my issue. I have received my JTM 45 amp with the MM Axiom trannys upgrade. So far the wiring's been going great, but I've now reached a place where I'm stumped. I'm currently at the instruction that tells about wiring the power lamp, fuse holder, and power switch with the remaining "black" leads from the power transformer. Well, on the Axiom, there are no "black" leads. I have an Orange, Purple, Blue and Red leads left to wire in, and have no clue which of these wires correspond to "black"

Any help on this woud be greatly appreciatted. I am a newbie, but not a complete idiot to electricity.

Thanks.

Flames1950

Post by Flames1950 » Mon Aug 08, 2005 7:04 pm

My kit just arrived today and has the Heyboer PT but no PT diagram, so I had to skim the instructions quick to see where you're at.
The Heyboer's black wires are the 120VAC input. So the MM Axiom wires that correspond to that should be a black (common to all the voltage taps) and a white (120VAC tap.) The orange looks to be for a 6.3VAC rectifier heater and won't be used, you're just using the brown/white 5V winding for the GZ34/5AR4 rectifier. Violet is a screen shield/ground and I'm assuming you won't need that either since there is no corresponding lead on the Heyboer. The only red wires I see on the Axiom diagram are B+ voltage, so there should be two reds going to the rectifier and a black CT for the B+ winding.
The blue shows up as a CT for a 6.3VAC heater winding -- but the diagram shows TWO 6.3VAC 2.5A heater windings. I'm unsure whether you need to wire one winding to the power tubes and the other to the preamp tubes or if two windings are included simply because the original RS trannies also had two. Blue CT goes with two grey wires to make up that second heater winding.

VelvetGeorge
Site Owner
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Post by VelvetGeorge » Mon Aug 08, 2005 7:40 pm

Guys the MM upgrade is for the output transformer only. The Heyboer PT has extra primaries for 220 and 240 volts AC. Orange is common, red is 120, blue is 220 ans violet 240.

George
Last edited by VelvetGeorge on Tue Aug 23, 2005 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Check out Plexi Replicas for my personal amp builds...

Flames1950

Post by Flames1950 » Mon Aug 08, 2005 8:38 pm

VelvetGeorge wrote:Guys the MM upgrade is for the power transformer only. The Heyboer PT has extra primaries for 220 and 240 volts AC. Orange is common, red is 120, blue is 220 ans violet 240.

George
:?: :?: My Heyboer has none of these -- a pair of black, a pair of red with a red/yellow CT, a pair of yellow, and a pair of green with a green/yellow CT.......didja pick a bad day to quit smokin' crack :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: ? Lighten up that was a joke. :lol:

VelvetGeorge
Site Owner
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Post by VelvetGeorge » Mon Aug 08, 2005 10:06 pm

Is there a good day to quit smokin crack???

I meant to say that the PT that thetasigma got had the extra taps. Kits in the US from here on out will have just the (2) black wires.

Let me know how you guys like the kit, you're essentially beta testers.

George
Check out Plexi Replicas for my personal amp builds...

Flames1950

Post by Flames1950 » Mon Aug 08, 2005 11:47 pm

VelvetGeorge wrote:Is there a good day to quit smokin crack???

I meant to say that the PT that thetasigma got had the extra taps. Kits in the US from here on out will have just the (2) black wires.

Let me know how you guys like the kit, you're essentially beta testers.

George
I kinda wondered but the colors weren't matching what I had showing for the Axiom.

And I'm starting a new thread on how I like this kit......