Super Reverb speakers?

This is what it sounds like, when cones cry.

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, BUG

NY Chief
Wiki Editor

Super Reverb speakers?

Post by NY Chief » Mon Jul 29, 2013 11:49 am

Picked up a ’66 Super Reverb over the weekend. All original except for two Mojotone speakers and a mix of old and new glass. TOTAL SRV tone!!!

Bottom end is a little woofy. Anybody recommend good speaker replacements? I heard Kendrick Black frames are pretty good.

And yes, I have already submitted an email to the speaker guru at scumback!
NY Chief 5-0, transplanted in SoCal

"Book 'em, Dan-o!"

guitar007

Re: Super Reverb speakers?

Post by guitar007 » Mon Jul 29, 2013 6:53 pm

Those reissue Jensens sound nice. Have you looked into those?
~guitar007

Janglin_Jack

Post by Janglin_Jack » Mon Jul 29, 2013 7:02 pm

I used some Webers in one I had. I forgot the models but two ceramic on the bottom and two alnicos on top

Mike

Smokin Tone

Post by Smokin Tone » Mon Jul 29, 2013 9:57 pm

VelvetGeorge
Site Owner
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Post by VelvetGeorge » Tue Jul 30, 2013 1:20 am

Not sure what to recommend, my Super has era correct Jensens. I never experimented or compared. This amp should be great for the blues/rock gig eh?

George
Check out Plexi Replicas for my personal amp builds...

NY Chief
Wiki Editor

Post by NY Chief » Tue Jul 30, 2013 11:28 am

Thanks, Guys!

Found a few threads on the gearpage that recommends all those and more. This may be (another) expensive experiment...

"Book 'em, Dan-o!"

JimiJames
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Post by JimiJames » Tue Jul 30, 2013 4:01 pm

Have you checked out Tone Tubby's ?
Their 12" hempcone is smokin' Image in a Deluxe...

I would just assume they're just as killer sounding with 10's.
I recommend these highly "if" you tend to push the amp at higher volumes.

Maybe it has something to do with the hemp paper handling the power, because
in a Deluxe I can crank the snot out of it still keeping my Tone without the flub or farting. Glorious !
Forget doing that with a Stock C12Q.

George
A Super(b) choice for a gigging band or open mic scenario. Worth the weight.
The Super is marvelous for "cutting through".
Back in the early '90's I went to see a local Blues guitar hero Dave Specter
and was soo impressed with his tone I asked him why He sounded soo good compared to other acts I've seen at the same venue,
and he said it was when he changed to the Super he didn't get lost in the mix anymore and was able to cut through and be heard with ease.
Although, I coulda/woulda/shoulda still held on to my '65 Bassman PiggyBack, I eventually traded that, because I now had a late '66/early '67 BF Super that I had rebaffled with period correct red & gold Jensen 1x15/1x10. Glorious !
My intention was SRV's 1x15 Vibroverb/Concert mixed with the Super's 4x10.
To understand why I did this was due to UPS "killing" the amp (and really) falling off the truck with 3 out of the 4 original Jensen's damaged with bent frames & tears in the cone, irreparable. The baffle & finger joint's were toast; that's why I had the opportunity to rebaffle... (oh, and changed from GZ34 rec tube to solidstate rectifier)

ehh...sorry got carried away there...
I don't have any other recommendation other than I can say that,
if you're going for original the re-issue Jenny's are an excellent choice once they're broken in... and from a pricepoint as well.
For other than... See Jim lol
RIP Mark Abrahamian-rockstah -classmate/roommate
RIP Ben Wise -StuntDouble- comrade-in-arms

Janglin_Jack

Post by Janglin_Jack » Tue Jul 30, 2013 5:51 pm

JimiJames"]Have you checked out Tone Tubby's?
Their 12" hempcone is smokin' Image in a Deluxe...
Used a Eminence Cannabis Rex in my latest build. Love the sound of that speaker. I think they use TTubby cones if I am not mistaken.

Would love to hear a quad of 10" in a Super.

Mike

NY Chief
Wiki Editor

Post by NY Chief » Wed Jul 31, 2013 12:28 pm

oi...So here’s the list gleaned from google searches and recommendations!

(2) Vintage 10’s and (2) Celestion Greenback 10’s (Jimmy S. suggestion)
Jensen P10R reiusse’s (stock in the RI Super)
Celestion G10 (used in the Sweet Water special edition RI Super)
Naylor Special design 1040 (got GREAT reviews)
Weber 10A125 (P10Q clone)
Weber 10A150 (less break up cleaner tones)
Fender blue frame
Jensen C10N
Kendrick Black frame
CTS Alnico
(2) Weber P10Q’s top, (2) C10Q’s bottom (used in Uncle Spot’s Super clone)
(2) Celestion Vintage 10’s (2) Jensen alnico P10R
Tone Tubby Alnico
Weber CT10 (CTS alnico clone)
Ragin Cajun
Emminence Legend
Emminence Blue Frame RI
WGS Veteran (“upgrade / replacement for Jensen C10Q”)
WGS G10A ( tech sheet says “Hot Rodded WSG design featuring oversize alnico mag”)
WGS G10C (tech sheet says “upgrade / replacement for Emm Ragin Cajun”)

Thank goodness there aren’t too many choices, eh…. :?

Just what I need, another science project. I still have tons of study material from Jimi J I need get through! The idea of the Vibro/Super sounds cool. A 15 and a 10, eh intereresting……Where ya been, Brother JimiJ???? :shrug:

Played it a practice last night for the first time with the band. Definitely SRV territory.

Thanks for feedback and experience, fellers! :thumbsup:

"Book 'em, Dan-o!"

Lefty Lou
Just the numbers in order: 7

Post by Lefty Lou » Wed Jul 31, 2013 11:18 pm

Just saw this thread and had to reply. I have a Fender 66' BFSR amp with the Tone Tubby "H" bomb configuration which is (2) Ceramic 10" Hempcone Tone Tubby Speakers and (2) Alnico 10" Hempcone Tone Tubby Speakers in an "X" pattern. One ceramic and one alnico on top and one alnico and one ceramic below. I HIGHLY recommend these speakers and this configuration to anyone and everyone. You get the best of both worlds (even with a GZ34 rectifier) tight and powerful, yet smooth and creamy when you need it.

The biggest thing about new speakers is a lot of guys want to review them before they're even broken in (which is a mistake). If I'd have done that with my new Tone Tubby speakers, they might not have received such a favorable review. I also have a Tone Tubby Alnico 12" in a Fender 66' BFDR as well. I absolutely love my Tone Tubby's!

NY Chief
Wiki Editor

Post by NY Chief » Fri Aug 02, 2013 6:11 pm

Lefty Lou wrote:The biggest thing about new speakers is a lot of guys want to review them before they're even broken in (which is a mistake). If I'd have done that with my new Tone Tubby speakers, they might not have received such a favorable review. I also have a Tone Tubby Alnico 12" in a Fender 66' BFDR as well. I absolutely love my Tone Tubby's!
Thanks, Lou! What kind of break time before you heard the "real" tone?

"Book 'em, Dan-o!"

Coot Boy

Post by Coot Boy » Fri Aug 02, 2013 6:47 pm

The Weber Alnico 10A125 is bass heavy with bugger all top end chime or bite, dull is a good description, I bought two and flogged them after quite a few hrs on them. I also have a quad of the WGS 10" veterans which ain't goin anywhere, they are just a really good speaker, can't comment on anything Jensen as I've never had any. Oh yeah, I just remembered also, the Webers were also not as loud as the WGS Vets. I'm completely over Weber speakers of any kind n I've tried a few of theirs.

Lefty Lou

Post by Lefty Lou » Fri Aug 02, 2013 8:43 pm

NY Chief wrote:
Lefty Lou wrote:The biggest thing about new speakers is a lot of guys want to review them before they're even broken in (which is a mistake). If I'd have done that with my new Tone Tubby speakers, they might not have received such a favorable review. I also have a Tone Tubby Alnico 12" in a Fender 66' BFDR as well. I absolutely love my Tone Tubby's!
Thanks, Lou! What kind of break time before you heard the "real" tone?
I know that it wasn't very long at all, and I don't play consistently everyday for "X" number of hours. Probably within 15 to 20 hours of play time they started to loosen up a bit. It's kinda funny when you think about it, vintage 10"s like you see in Fender BFSR amps most likely sounded stiff and non-musical when they were new but, after many years of play those same speakers are sought after for their tone. It's a similar analogy to new PAF humbuckers when they were first made, and now those very same PAF humbuckers are going for big bucks.
Last edited by Lefty Lou on Fri Aug 02, 2013 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lefty Lou

Post by Lefty Lou » Fri Aug 02, 2013 8:48 pm

Coot Boy wrote:The Weber Alnico 10A125 is bass heavy with bugger all top end chime or bite, dull is a good description, I bought two and flogged them after quite a few hrs on them. I also have a quad of the WGS 10" veterans which ain't goin anywhere, they are just a really good speaker, can't comment on anything Jensen as I've never had any. Oh yeah, I just remembered also, the Webers were also not as loud as the WGS Vets. I'm completely over Weber speakers of any kind n I've tried a few of theirs.
Some have said that after Gerald Weber's demise, and his son's subsequent takeover of the business, that Weber speakers have never been the same. That would have to come from previous owners of Weber speakers who have purchased newer Weber speaker models to make that kind of assertion JFWIW.

Coot Boy

Post by Coot Boy » Fri Aug 02, 2013 8:59 pm

Lefty Lou wrote:
Coot Boy wrote:The Weber Alnico 10A125 is bass heavy with bugger all top end chime or bite, dull is a good description, I bought two and flogged them after quite a few hrs on them. I also have a quad of the WGS 10" veterans which ain't goin anywhere, they are just a really good speaker, can't comment on anything Jensen as I've never had any. Oh yeah, I just remembered also, the Webers were also not as loud as the WGS Vets. I'm completely over Weber speakers of any kind n I've tried a few of theirs.
Some have said that after Gerald Weber's demise, and his son's subsequent takeover of the business, that Weber speakers have never been the same. That would have to come from previous owners of Weber speakers who have purchased newer Weber speaker models to make that kind of assertion JFWIW.
Yes and I also had a quad of Jim's M75s that were done at Weber and as I have already posted here a while ago, they were dull and lifeless as well. Common denominator???