Speakers repair

This is what it sounds like, when cones cry.

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, BUG

jimmyride
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Speakers repair

Post by jimmyride » Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:47 am

Hey guys!

I'm thinking about getting these speakers: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-x-CELESTION ... 3cce6edd56" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

But my question is... how difficult/expensive would be to get them repaired? The cone is supposed to be all right.

demonufo

Re: Speakers repair

Post by demonufo » Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:57 pm

Well, there are some meticulous people who can remove, re-align and re-glue, but if there IS any wear on the voice coils, then they're pretty much toast.
So I like purple, okay!!!!!!

83.7% of all statistics are made up on the spot!

neikeel

Post by neikeel » Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:15 pm

Wembley Speakers are my go to reconers, but...........

£40+ for the work, £15 each way insured postage (in the UK). Their prerola recones are very good and sound absolutely spot on but you would never make the money back on resale, so great to keep your tone but bad for collectablity :?

Better buy some good ones and pay one postage. I do have 4 of these on a shelf, can't decide what to do with them as I have a couple of early 70s cabs stripped for rebuilds, basketweave, chequerboard and black baffles. I have 80w, 100w, and two 120w rated 4x12s so there is some merit in a 260w cab :?:
Neil

BaronGreenback
Just the numbers in order: 7

Post by BaronGreenback » Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:17 pm

all depends on what the problem is. it is not worth the risk on G12-65's in my opinion. just get some that are in good condition instead. cost to repair them would be about the same as a recone anyway, if not more. justifiable on rare speakers but probably not on G12-65's.

if the actual coil is damaged, not much can be done with them.

jimmyride

Post by jimmyride » Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:20 am

Ok, thank you guys! After reading your comments I guess I'll pass on these. Thanks again. I was asking because I have an opportunity to buy a good pair for a good price. (about 150 pounds for both) I wanted to raise some money to start a new build. :scratch: