Vintage Fanes buzz

This is what it sounds like, when cones cry.

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, BUG

bobtec
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Vintage Fanes buzz

Post by bobtec » Mon Nov 11, 2013 11:23 pm

I saw a post down the line about a cab buzz I am having the same problem My 2 fanes I hear a faint buzz on the EADG at 4 ohms,I used a different cab at 16 ohms and didn't hear it.. I didn't want to hurt my bandmaster with the wrong load.... IT is a Old 1964 Fender cab They both read 5.9 to 6.1 ohms If I take them to a amp tech can they tell me if there going,It only sounds like one speacker Can the cabnit be the problem alot of wood screws :what:

Lefty Lou
Just the numbers in order: 7

Re: Vintage Fanes buzz

Post by Lefty Lou » Tue Nov 12, 2013 12:52 am

bobtec wrote:I saw a post down the line about a cab buzz I am having the same problem My 2 fanes I hear a faint buzz on the EADG at 4 ohms,I used a different cab at 16 ohms and didn't hear it.. I didn't want to hurt my bandmaster with the wrong load.... IT is a Old 1964 Fender cab They both read 5.9 to 6.1 ohms If I take them to a amp tech can they tell me if there going,It only sounds like one speacker Can the cabnit be the problem alot of wood screws :what:
A speaker re-coning service would be your best bet for looking over your speakers to see if anything is wrong, and if so, you want to try to repair the speaker cone versus actually re-coning said speaker(s). Even though tube amps are more forgiving with impedance mis-matching than SS amps, it's always best for your OT to match impedances. I was running an early 60' Fender Blonde Showman head (8 Ohms) through my vintage HIWATT 4x12" cabinet with Fanes that I had re-wired down to 4 Ohms (from 16 Ohms) and it worked O.K with no issues BUT, I rewired the HIWATT cab back to 16 Ohms, and only use 8 Ohm cabs now with my Showman head (it's better safe than sorry) plus I don't want to replace or rewind a vintage output transformer.
Last edited by Lefty Lou on Tue Nov 12, 2013 1:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Lefty Lou

Post by Lefty Lou » Tue Nov 12, 2013 12:57 am

I will say this from memory, the strips of wood that (were) glued to the inside of my HIWATT 4x12 cab which secure the back cover came (loose/unglued) so I not only re-glued said wood strips but used wood screws to cinch them down which made a world of difference to any adverse vibrations.

bobtec
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Post by bobtec » Wed Nov 20, 2013 11:18 pm

I redid all the connections,and tightened all the wood screws.. FIXED IT!!!! It sounded like the speakers were bad or the amp was messed up... :D

Lefty Lou

Post by Lefty Lou » Thu Nov 21, 2013 1:14 pm

GREAT, I'm glad you got it fixed brother!

Lefty Lou

Post by Lefty Lou » Thu Nov 21, 2013 10:33 pm

It's easy for many of us that have vintage (cabs and speakers) to forget that these cabs have gone through many hours/years of vibration from constant use. It would behoove all of us who own vintage cabs to tighten them up from time to time depending upon how hard we drive said cabinets.