JJ KT88 vs Winged =C= SED KT88

The good, the bad and the ugly.

Moderator: VelvetGeorge

Irön/Beast
Just the numbers in order: 7

JJ KT88 vs Winged =C= SED KT88

Post by Irön/Beast » Sun Mar 04, 2012 10:43 am

They say these two are amongst the best of the modern reproduction KT88s, but what are they compared to each other in terms of sonic, reliability, buildt, quality e.t.c ?

Are both KT88s true ones? Which one is reliable enought for being pushed alot in Marshall amps? Which one fits more into overdrive? e.t.c

What are the differences between these tubes?

Reeltarded

Re: JJ KT88 vs Winged =C= SED KT88

Post by Reeltarded » Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:37 am

The difference I know of is that I have rarely seen a complaint about winged C's, and JJ's take a beating for rattling like a snake, or lasting 10 minutes every day of the week. I have been lucky, it seems.
not kicking the dead horse

Irön/Beast

Re: JJ KT88 vs Winged =C= SED KT88

Post by Irön/Beast » Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:41 am

Reeltarded wrote:The difference I know of is that I have rarely seen a complaint about winged C's, and JJ's take a beating for rattling like a snake, or lasting 10 minutes every day of the week. I have been lucky, it seems.
But are they both true KT88s and have the many of the characteristics of the real deal? Not gonna expect any modern tube sounding exactly like an old Vintage KT88 since the materials are not the same and for other reasons as well.

I've heard both tubes are really good, and that supposly both are build to be real KT88s, not a 6550 in bigger bottle or anything but really build like a true KT88 though maybe not exactly as great sounding as an good old GEC one ofcourse.

What are the plate voltage for these tubes? Can they handle 700-800 voltage on plate?