Everything between your guitar and amp.

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, BUG

mightymike
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Just bought a Throbak Color sound Clone

Post by mightymike » Sun Oct 06, 2013 11:44 am

After watching this demo by Pete Thorn,
http://youtu.be/rmxSiGQFzkU" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
it kept knawing at me until I pulled the trigger. Wonder how it will sound with the Badger Trilogy.. Should be fun.

rgorke

Re: Just bought a Throbak Color sound Clone

Post by rgorke » Mon Oct 14, 2013 5:12 pm

Any clips yet???
"If you make a mistake, do it twice and smile and let people think you meant it." Jan Van Halen.

Lefty Lou
Just the numbers in order: 7

Post by Lefty Lou » Mon Oct 14, 2013 10:44 pm

Nice acquisition Mike. My last big pedal purchase was a Skinpimp MKII pedal that's made to clone the Sola Sound MKII Professional pedal for which it does a very good job of. Led Zeppelin I, yeah baby!

mightymike

Post by mightymike » Tue Oct 15, 2013 4:14 pm

Sorry no clips except that Pete Thorn one that sold it for me. Love Suhr Tele too.
I also have a Badger Badger Trilogy enroute. I have an actual EP3 as well.

rgorke

Post by rgorke » Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:31 pm

Yeah, that clip is cool. Just got one of my EP3s up and running.
"If you make a mistake, do it twice and smile and let people think you meant it." Jan Van Halen.

Lefty Lou

Post by Lefty Lou » Wed Oct 16, 2013 12:26 am

There's nothing that's more telling about a forum than when it's members choose to ignore other members. It's somewhat easy to overlook when one is involved in a deep discussion or technical matter, but there's way too much clannish and cliquish behavior going on, people need to be a little more cognizant of what they're doing and more sensitive to others than just themselves.

dazzlindino

Post by dazzlindino » Wed Oct 16, 2013 12:29 pm

Last edited by dazzlindino on Sat Oct 19, 2013 4:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
I want my music waking up the dead...
Dont tell me to turn it down

if its not loud enough you must be really old...huh,what,what did you play?

Omn

Post by Omn » Wed Oct 16, 2013 3:13 pm

That pedal has been on my wish list for a while. Time has washed out the words on that list..., but this thread brought it all back. :)
Please keep us updated.

mightymike

Post by mightymike » Wed Oct 16, 2013 11:02 pm

Lefty Lou wrote:There's nothing that's more telling about a forum than when it's members choose to ignore other members. It's somewhat easy to overlook when one is involved in a deep discussion or technical matter, but there's way too much clannish and cliquish behavior going on, people need to be a little more cognizant of what they're doing and more sensitive to others than just themselves.
I think I was a little wound up about my aquisition and oblibious to what you said about the pedal. Thwt was rude of me. I reread your post, and I can see how I came off like that. I apologize for that. No clique going on. Maybe a little ADD, but not intentional. Mike

rgorke

Post by rgorke » Thu Oct 17, 2013 1:21 pm

What'd I miss?

Lefty Lou

Post by Lefty Lou » Thu Oct 17, 2013 5:12 pm

mightymike wrote:
Lefty Lou wrote:There's nothing that's more telling about a forum than when it's members choose to ignore other members. It's somewhat easy to overlook when one is involved in a deep discussion or technical matter, but there's way too much clannish and cliquish behavior going on, people need to be a little more cognizant of what they're doing and more sensitive to others than just themselves.
I think I was a little wound up about my aquisition and oblibious to what you said about the pedal. Thwt was rude of me. I reread your post, and I can see how I came off like that. I apologize for that. No clique going on. Maybe a little ADD, but not intentional. Mike
Thanks Mike, no harm no foul buddy. I know how exciting it is to get new gear. As a matter of fact right now I'm stoked on my new Digitech iStomp pedal that I just won. Digitech has decided to give away 46 free e-pedals on the Digitech/Apple e-pedal download page which is way too cool. Even though the pedals are digital program representations of effects they're very good and accurate representations of some originals plus they're quiet and work well with analog, digital, true bypass, and buffered pedals. AND Digitech advertises that the iStomp pedal has nominal to no latency issues.

The only pedal that wasn't free out of all e-pedals is the Digitech Impossible pedal ($19.99) which was co-authored by Adrian Belew. This effect is so far out there, I seriously doubt that there will be many takers (especially with the $20 price tag).

mightymike

Post by mightymike » Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:55 pm

Wining gear.. What's not to like? I might end up getting a digital delay/reverb on the channel 2 jumper 100% wet like I used to run my EP3, but run the badger plex and the colorsound on the front of channel 1..

I'm gonna have to check out that Zep 1 pedal.. Jimi James has one of the 1011 pedals for Blackmoore Aiwa 1011 reel to reel pre amp tone.

Lefty Lou

Post by Lefty Lou » Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:55 pm

mightymike wrote:Wining gear.. What's not to like? I might end up getting a digital delay/reverb on the channel 2 jumper 100% wet like I used to run my EP3, but run the badger plex and the colorsound on the front of channel 1..
I have a Boss DD-2 Digital Delay pedal who's (microprocessor chip) is the same as that used in the famed Roland/Boss Space Echo unit. It is very nice for a Digital Delay pedal and has been described as more analog in audio quality. This pedal would work very nicely on channel 2 of your badger plexi amp.
mightymike wrote:I'm gonna have to check out that Zep 1 pedal.. Jimi James has one of the 1011 pedals for Blackmoore Aiwa 1011 reel to reel pre amp tone.

Even though I'm not a major fuzz (player/user) I do prefer germanium over silicon based fuzz pedals as they're smoother and less harsh to my ears. The Skinpimp MKII does an excellent job of replicating the Sola Sound Tone Bender for true Zep I tones, especially with a tele and Marshall Super Lead ala Jimmy Page. The Skinpimp MKII has the perfect range of fuzz tones w/o being too over the top and cleans up very nicely with the guitar's volume knob. All of the other Skinpimp line of fuzz pedals are superb in quality and sound, as Skinpimp has some rare fuzz pedal clone pedals or "knock offs".

I've heard it said that the Exotic EP boost is not an exact interpretation of the famed Echoplex preamp circuit. However, the TC Mini Spark is getting rave reviews from guys like Mike Casswell at Lick Library. All I've got for clean boost is my BYOT Klon Clone and my Creation Audio Labs Mk.4.23 boost pedals, so for the time being I have no need for further boost pedals. 46 e-pedals along with all my other pedals (and s/w plug-ins) go a long way to fulfilling all of my pedal requirements. Too little time, too many effects, and too much fiddling time.

mightymike

Post by mightymike » Fri Oct 18, 2013 8:23 pm

Funny you should mention the Klon. I was just discussing that I had one of the original Gold ones that I paid $300 for and doubled my money when I sold it. It wasn't mint at all.

Like you I'm not fuzz player at all, but this does have the germanium for that, and it did sound authentic. What sold me on the Throbak pedal was the difference when Pete used it with his Suhr Tele, amp set on that edge of clean/break up setting , and it made it actuall sound more dynamic , punchy.

What part of a Led Zep1 song would you say gives the bedt example of Page Fuzz tone. Comunication Breakdown lead?

Lefty Lou

Post by Lefty Lou » Fri Oct 18, 2013 8:58 pm

mightymike wrote:Funny you should mention the Klon. I was just discussing that I had one of the original Gold ones that I paid $300 for and doubled my money when I sold it. It wasn't mint at all.
It's good that you acquired one before prices went through the stratosphere, and even now with the economy as it is, I've heard some say that Klon's have exceeded the 1K price mark.
mightymike wrote:Like you I'm not fuzz player at all, but this does have the germanium for that, and it did sound authentic. What sold me on the Throbak pedal was the difference when Pete used it with his Suhr Tele, amp set on that edge of clean/break up setting , and it made it actuall sound more dynamic , punchy.

I was looking at the Throbak pedal version of the Sola Sound Tone Bender prior to purchasing my Skinpimp MkII as Throbak makes very good pedals. Pete Thorn is very good at delivering some quality vids as he definitely has the chops. Like most of us here, our playing may shine noticeably more when given a quality product to work with, especially when you're more enthused/excited with your sound. A good sign of a quality Fuzz unit is in it's ability to clean up with a guitar's volume knob, yet retain dynamics as it's turned down which my Skinpimp MkII fulfills for me.
mightymike wrote:What part of a Led Zep1 song would you say gives the bedt example of Page Fuzz tone. Comunication Breakdown lead?
Believe it or not, Track #9 How Many More Times, but most would probably disagree with my choice.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qSIS0o7vtPE[/youtube]