Stereo rigs...

Everything between your guitar and amp.

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, BUG

Twistingcrow

Stereo rigs...

Post by Twistingcrow » Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:48 am

Hi there.
I'm launching this topic because after a lot of research and trials and errors I believe I'm eventually going to go back to a stereo rig and the reason is quite simple: I thought I could get the tone I'm after with my 1987 only but that was a mistake. I need a wet/dry rig because of the reverb I use... I have tried a Holy Grail, a Neunaber Wet, a Mr. Springgy and I think I'll now buy a Subdecay Spring Theory (or build myself a Fender 6G15 but that would be more pain to carry around...).

So here's what I plan to build and put together:

Guitar --> A --> EP+ --> Wah --> Fuzz --> DAM Red Rooster --> 1987 for dry dirt (8/10) --> Alex's Attenuator

Guitar --> B -->Tuner --> Reverb, possibly a delay as well --> JTM45 set for almost clean (4 or 5/10)

The AB/Y box would be a Lehle Dual SGoS which I had in the past and is absolutely great. I would really like to stick to two Marshall heads (Robin Trower fan).

So what stereo rig do you guys have? Has it really helped improve your tone? Has it made your sound more professional? What are the pros and cons for you? Will you ever go back to a mono rig? What are your listeners comments on your tone? Tell us everything!
Thanks!

Did J
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Re: Stereo rigs...

Post by Did J » Tue Jan 01, 2013 3:35 am

Yes this set up increase the overall sustain. I use the Voodoo Lab's Amp Selector and works wery well, it is easy to root a correct stereo modulation effect for instance, or any effect with two outputs. Never had an issue with it during live gigs.
In the past I've started with kind of dry/wet set up, ala David Bray, but it was not what I expected.

Froumy

Post by Froumy » Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:05 am

That's what I use....
d
Get yourself a ground isolation A/B both box. Just because you don't have a ground loop hum now, doesn't mean you won't get hum at a different club(had it multiple times). You'll be one amp real quick, so you better have a favorite, if you don't have the isolation. Guaranteed(at least, for ,me,)

I use 2 A/B boxes(one isolation, for separate amps). My JTM45 is run like yours, with some exception. I use an A/B box for the verb. One goes straight to the amp, the other to the 6G15 unit, and the other channel(3 cord snake). One wet channel, one dry, on the 45 is a big improvement, on an already great tone(without line out). I used to footswitch the 45 with an attenuator when I dimed the dry channel. Too many buttons. Combo sounded FREAKIN' great, but it's not worth the stress......More important to enjoy the moment. If you're having fun, They're having fun....

Tip the sound guy first, and buy him a drink, if you're at a bigger club, you may give him fits if your running both, 3 ways.....

Does it sound more professional? No. Your playing makes it professional. You have 2 great amps. One will work....I play 2 because it makes me feel great, and makes it fun for me. The ladies(and therefore, the men) care about a great beat, and a good melody. I'm with you on the "stereo", but those other 2 are what the drunken public lean towards... Sorry for the guitar heresy.....I'll be listening to the guitar!

I've only run a 2 amp setup live. Keep it simple. Isolate the amps. Communicate with the sound guy for those times you run them both. Accept the nights it doesn't work.

For the nights it does work, Is why I play 2....... I'm certain you'll enjoy those nights....

neikeel

Post by neikeel » Mon Feb 11, 2013 7:51 am

Froumy wrote:Does it sound more professional? No. Your playing makes it professional. .............................................................................................................................. The ladies(and therefore, the men) care about a great beat, and a good melody. I'm with you on the "stereo", but those other 2 are what the drunken public lean towards.
Sad but true and that is what you have to go with :oops:

Personally I have dabbled with stereo but the extra gear is a hassle at gigs. I take a head and half stack as main amp with my pedals up front (modulation {EH E-Mistress and Small clone} on separate loop as tone suckers) with a 2x12 combo as spare/back up and if all is good I run that clean from the delay, gives ambience etc on stage, but I only ever mic the 4x12.
Neil

Roe
Just the numbers in order: 7

Post by Roe » Tue Feb 12, 2013 4:45 pm

I ran a 45/100 w 4x20watters and a 69 SLP into 4x30w at last rehearsal. I used both amps for solos and mostly the 45/100 for rhythm. will try with 45/100 and komet 60 next time
http://www.myspace.com/20bonesband" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.myspace.com/prostitutes" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Super 100 amps: 1202-119 & 1202-84
JTM45 RS OT JTM50 JMP50 1959/2203/34/39

908ssp

Post by 908ssp » Sat Feb 16, 2013 11:04 am

The Lehle is a great splitter a/b pedal you won't run into issues with it do to the isolated design he uses.

Have you tried running the line out from the Alex's Attenuator to your reverb ambiance effect and to the line in or powered speaker? For playing at home the addition of an ambiance or wet sound absolutely makes an earth shattering difference, especially at low volumes where natural ambiance is too quiet to hear.

neikeel

Post by neikeel » Sat Feb 16, 2013 2:23 pm

908ssp wrote:The Lehle is a great splitter a/b pedal you won't run into issues with it do to the isolated design he uses.

Have you tried running the line out from the Alex's Attenuator to your reverb ambiance effect and to the line in or powered speaker? For playing at home the addition of an ambiance or wet sound absolutely makes an earth shattering difference, especially at low volumes where natural ambiance is too quiet to hear.
I tried it briefly during a sound check recently but it did not work (feeding via effects into my 18watter) bit hissy. I will need to try with more time :wink:
I have done it in the past with my Elemental too.
Neil

908ssp

Post by 908ssp » Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:03 am

You can't feed into the front of a guitar amp the signal from the line out is too hot for that it has to go to a line level input like an effects return or mixer.

vanhalen5150

Post by vanhalen5150 » Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:14 am

908ssp wrote:You can't feed into the front of a guitar amp the signal from the line out is too hot for that it has to go to a line level input like an effects return or mixer.
Are you saying you cant use the line out on The Alex to slave into another amp? The signal is too much?
12000 Metro Kit

Mxzx

Post by Mxzx » Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:09 pm

Here is my stereo rig, a bit different from what you guys are running.

Guitar > Wah > Tube Screamer > Flange > Phase > EQ > Analog delay > JMP > jumped out of low input into Aleses Quadraverb (detuned about 7-10 cents) > second JMP

Always have both amps on. Both have PPIMV's.

Vary the detune based on sound and genre looking for.

Mxzx

Post by Mxzx » Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:12 pm

908ssp wrote:You can't feed into the front of a guitar amp the signal from the line out is too hot for that it has to go to a line level input like an effects return or mixer.
Always wondered why it sounded like crap when I did it that way! Now I'll try dumping it in the effects in of my 2205.

908ssp

Post by 908ssp » Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:18 am

vanhalen5150 wrote:
Are you saying you cant use the line out on The Alex to slave into another amp? The signal is too much?
Exactly. It is line out means line level which is typically 10 times as hot a guitar level. Plus remember there is no speaker sim so you either have to play the final sound through a guitar speaker, use a sim or set an eq as a sim.

MaestroTube

Post by MaestroTube » Fri Jan 31, 2014 10:16 pm

I've been running stereo for live shows for about three years now. I play in a three piece band and the stereo setup really helps to fill out the sound, not to mention it sounds freakin killer.
My two amps are a 1974 Marshall 1959 Superlead and a 1991 Marshall 2205 JCM 800. The Superlead drives a 4x12 and the JCM800 drives a 2x12, with the 4x12 being on my side of the stage. I split my signal to the two amps with an MXR stereo chorus pedal. I keep the rate all the way down so the sweep is really slow, almost no perceivable chorus. But it really fattens up my sound and its sure noticeable when it's not on.
"I've been imitated so well I've heard people copy my mistakes." -Jimi Hendrix

Roe

Post by Roe » Sat Feb 01, 2014 11:19 am

I've been running the alex line out into the low input of my jtm45's normal channel. works great if you adjust the volumes carefully

its great that the forum is back btw!
http://www.myspace.com/20bonesband" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.myspace.com/prostitutes" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Super 100 amps: 1202-119 & 1202-84
JTM45 RS OT JTM50 JMP50 1959/2203/34/39