Faustine Phantom attenuator.. Pete Thorn demo video

Everything between your guitar and amp.

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, BUG

sinasl1

Faustine Phantom attenuator.. Pete Thorn demo video

Post by sinasl1 » Thu Jul 16, 2009 4:36 am

Here ya go.. still learning how to use the new Imovie 09 program, but you get the idea... would have loved to include a PT 100 head in the mix, but mine are on a boat in the middle of the atlantic ocean right now, on their way back from tour.

All the amps are running into my Bogner 1-12" with a Scumback M75 65 watt speaker.. mic'd with a Heil PR30 and a Shure 57, into an API mic pre and A2D converter.

As you can hear, the Phantom is quite transparent and really works as advertised.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=71h7Lv7LKcU" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

cary chilton

Re: Faustine Phantom attenuator.. Pete Thorn demo video

Post by cary chilton » Thu Jul 16, 2009 8:28 am

great vid! Thanks!

Tonemaster

Post by Tonemaster » Thu Jul 16, 2009 10:50 am

Nice job as always pete.

T.
http://www.myspace.com/thefabuloustonemasters" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Faustine Amps

Post by Faustine Amps » Thu Jul 16, 2009 11:43 am

Aboslutely awesome job Pete!!

Your playing and production are fantastic, just as we have all come to expect from you. And that really is THE RIGHT WAY to test an attenuator. Nice collection of amps too.

Thank you so much for posting that!

Regards,
Tim Gregoire

paulster
Just the numbers in order: 7

Post by paulster » Thu Jul 16, 2009 12:30 pm

Tim

You don't have time to be posting on here. I'm still waiting for mine to be built!!

Great playing by Pete as always, and a sound vindication of the purchasing decision.

Paul

Scumback Speakers
Supporting Advertiser
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Post by Scumback Speakers » Thu Jul 16, 2009 1:18 pm

I guess this will prove my point about my attenuator review for the rest of the doubting Thomases... right? :) (Farking wishful thinking, I'm sure!)
Scumback Speakers - Kick Ass Vintage Tone
sales@scumbackspeakers.com
http://www.scumbackspeakers.com
310-833-6632

Tone-Freak

Post by Tone-Freak » Thu Jul 16, 2009 1:50 pm

It does sound great but I personaly think my UA sound just as good and it has a smooth sweep all the way on the volume that the phantom does not. Combine the smooth sweep and the dual volume for live playing of the UA and I still personally prefer it. The phantom does sound very transparent but I like the features of the UA and it sounds just as good to me :D

Scumback Speakers
Supporting Advertiser

Post by Scumback Speakers » Thu Jul 16, 2009 1:52 pm

The dual volume option is an enhancement that many live players could use, no doubt. But with the dual volume mod it's also $874.00 USD. The Phantom is $750 for the Deluxe (4-8-16 ohm version) or less for the single ohm version.

So there are some price points for features to consider either way.
310-833-6632

Tone-Freak

Post by Tone-Freak » Thu Jul 16, 2009 2:56 pm

Southbay Ampworks wrote:The dual volume option is an enhancement that many live players could use, no doubt. But with the dual volume mod it's also $874.00 USD. The Phantom is $750 for the Deluxe (4-8-16 ohm version) or less for the single ohm version.

So there are some price points for features to consider either way.
That price is fully loaded from the UA web site. That is way more options than the Phantom has so its not really a acurate comparison IMHO. The UA is $744 fully loaded with the dual volume here is a link bellow to a new one on ebay sold by the manufacuter. Free shipping. If you order from the UA web site you can get the dual volume, 200 watt load and plexi for $724 if you go fully loaded it is more. But he puts them on ebay a lot new for thiese prices. So it is bassicly the same price. You can always order from HO and get it cheaper. The phantom does sound great in those clips but the UA to me sounds as good and is more versital so it is my personal preference. :D

http://cgi.ebay.com/Dual-Volume-Ultimat ... 7C294%3A50

Scumback Speakers
Supporting Advertiser

Post by Scumback Speakers » Thu Jul 16, 2009 3:06 pm

Ahem, I'm talking readily available without bidding on eBay and ordering off the site. You never know if a warranty is real on eBay, as I've found out the hard way.

The Ultimate Attenuator
Base Price: $449.00
(+50.00)
200 watt load capacity upgrade (recommended)
for use with 4 EL-34 or 4 6550 amps used with the standard UA.
(+50.00)
100v regulated AC tap (recommended) *not available w\220-240v versions
(+50.00)
Plexi Switch
(+50.00)
Bedroom Switch
(+50.00)
Variable Line Out
(+175.00)
Footswitchable Dual Volume, includes LED indicator pedal

That's $874.00 plus $20 shipping within the USA. As it was explained to me, you get the kitchen sink when you go with dual footswitch, there was no mention of mixing and matching options when I discussed this on the phone and via email.

If that's changed RECENTLY, great, but that's not what I was told.
310-833-6632

sinasl1

Post by sinasl1 » Thu Jul 16, 2009 3:27 pm

I a/b'ed the UA and the Faustine- back at NAMM time- with Rob from Tone Merchants, Derek (Tone Freak pedals) and Dave Friedman, a picky bunch, we are. The UA just isn't as transparent. It works well, but it's not the same thing. You gotta get them side by side to really hear it. We all came to the same conclusion that day, the Faustine was the winner. That's why I started using it, and talking it up online and whatnot.. I already own a few Komet attenuators and a Hotplate, (and used to have a MASS) so I needed another attenuator like I needed a hole in the head- but this one's different.

It's really 2 totally different style units as well, a reactive attenuator vs. a fixed load/reamp- I do think the UA can be ordered with some cool features, like the efx loop, that's really cool. Don't mean to bash on it- it's a nice piece.

myfoot

Post by myfoot » Thu Jul 16, 2009 3:31 pm

I think we're getting off track a bit here. Thanks for the video I really enjoyed it. Didn't think this thread was a comparison between the 2 products mentioned here. Seems to pop up a lot. That's why they make different things. Not everybody likes the same thing.

sinasl1

Post by sinasl1 » Thu Jul 16, 2009 3:53 pm

true be dat.

vanhalen5150

Post by vanhalen5150 » Thu Jul 16, 2009 4:05 pm

Dave's "MARSHA" sounds really good to me. Kinda wish someone would do a vid comparing the top 5 or so attenuators side by side. Its really tough to tell if one really has a sound advantage over the other. Some have some different features but is the sound quality really that much better in one? I've used a Hotplate for 2 years now and it works and sounds great to me. Just would be nice to know if all the extra cash is really giving you that much more.
12000 Metro Kit

cole

Post by cole » Thu Jul 16, 2009 4:08 pm

Great demo of the Faustine. I'm a UA user myself and was a HotPlate user before that.

This product sounds like a winner and I wish it was around when I was looking for an attenuator, alas and hence why I bought the best there was at the time.

I certainly try to be objective when it comes to gear and thankfully Peter has takens his time in providing us a great service here in doing this comparison. Thanks Peter!

The only problem I have is now that I'm gonna be $750 USD in the hole unless someone wants a used UA for the price of the Faustine...any takers?

Cole
Les Paul Classic, Les Paul Standard Faded, Fender American Strat
Jackson Custom Shop Strat s/n 1226
JMP 2203, JCM 800 2205, Metro JTM 45
Metropoulos '68 12 Series s/n 12026
Marshall 1960 A/B 4 X 12's