DOD 250 GREY SPEC MODS

Everything between your guitar and amp.

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, BUG

yngwie308

Re: DOD 250 GREY SPEC MODS

Post by yngwie308 » Sat Oct 04, 2008 2:08 pm

Cool nothing that important John, hope you are enjoying yourself!
yngwie308
http://www.vintagewashburn.com/Electric ... evens.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.treblebooster.net/bolin.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Tone Slinger

Post by Tone Slinger » Sat Oct 04, 2008 5:37 pm

Cool info John, I'm gonna try out some more of those Japanese pentatonic licks. Thanks.
Rip Ben Wise (StuntDouble) & Mark Abrahamian (Rockstah)

70Strathead

Post by 70Strathead » Sat Oct 04, 2008 6:01 pm

here's a clip i recorded/posted a while ago that showcases the 2001 YJM strat > original 77' grey DOD through a old NMV Marshall 50w with greenbacks cranked to 10 with hotplate set at 8 ohm. I want to get a back up so I may take my door stop ( YJM 308 pedal) and get it modded as a backup. This pedal is gold!

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_so ... ID=6343845" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

outlier

Post by outlier » Sat Oct 04, 2008 6:45 pm

On one of Marty's videos, he talks about how he uses a "Japanese-sounding scale," which he plays as B, C, E, F#, G. He plays it as a repeating pattern, starting at the 7th fret of the low E string, which repeats at the 9th fret of the D string and the 12th fret of B string.

We could think of it as a mode of the E Hiro Joshi (also called "Hirajoshi) scale. There are a couple of other useful modes which names escape me at the moment. One of 'em is called "Kumoi."

There's another, the Kokin Joshi: R, b2, 4, 5, b7. Obviously, it's neither Major nor minor, so that leaves the harmonic possibilities open.

Talking about Japanese bands, there was one that was a brief blip on the radar screen, geez, twenty years ago: Dead End. They had an utterly brilliant guitarist by the name of Yuji Adachi, who I always described as what H.R. Giger would've sounded like had he chosen a guitar instead of an airbrush.

Yuji would use synthetic scales here and there to such great effect that it didn't sound awkward, overly weird, contrived or stilted as they usually do. I'm thinking in particular of the solos to "Embryo Burning" and "Luna Madness" on Shambara. Anyone besides me ever hear this album?

BTW, Dave, just shoot me a PM about anything, no problem. I'll answer as soon as I am able.
"THINK OF THE POWER!" ~ E. Cartman

Kapo_Polenton

Post by Kapo_Polenton » Sun Oct 05, 2008 4:20 pm

Got my Outlier board loaded up in my YJM308. Sounds good folks! BIG improvement over the stock pedal and definitely the Malmsteen sound. I would also agree that it sounds like an extra tube stage as it really doesn't feel like it alters the tone of my JCM at all. Now I still am partial to my bad monkey these days for some reason but the modded YJM is probably gonna be my neck pickup tone for soloing as it has this sweet smooth characteristic to it. I dig it.2 Mind you mine is loaded with the ultra secret values which make it tighter sounding and it is a one off so I am now in possession of the best grey clone in the history of dod clones. Sorry folks, I've got the best pedal so just give up now! :twisted:

outlier

Post by outlier » Sun Oct 05, 2008 7:25 pm

Great! Glad you like it! It means a lot to me!

Like I wrote to you, I thought it sounded so good, I didn't want to send it to you... :wink: :lol:

Kapo_Polenton

Post by Kapo_Polenton » Sun Oct 05, 2008 10:30 pm

Here is a 2 min or so clip of the DOD at work. I start by playing every "riff" with the JCM (gain 7, preamp .8) and then click in the DOD (set noon and noon straight up). It really adds a nice kick but sounds like an extra gain stage to me. Pretty cool actually. The Ratt stuff is played with a tad too much gain and I am sloppy but I think this will give a decent idea of the pedal at work. http://media.putfile.com/DOD-YJM-with-Mods" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

yngwie308

Post by yngwie308 » Tue Oct 07, 2008 8:00 pm

nice 8) 8) like the Ratt segway from Lay It Down into So You Think You're Tough, I believe!! Yes gives more gain and definitely fattens the tone, there is such a HUGE differnce in my YJM308 now, even compared to the Mojo741 mod........ :D :D 8) 8)
yngwie308
http://www.vintagewashburn.com/Electric ... evens.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.treblebooster.net/bolin.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Tone Slinger

Post by Tone Slinger » Wed Oct 08, 2008 7:26 am

Thanks for those sound clips guy's, love the tones.

I need to try and find out more about that Japanese band your talking about Outlier. Sounds like something I would like.
Rip Ben Wise (StuntDouble) & Mark Abrahamian (Rockstah)

Kapo_Polenton

Post by Kapo_Polenton » Wed Oct 08, 2008 10:27 am

It was Lay it down into You're in Love actually but the riffs are close enough! Odd thing is that the gain i record with is way less than what i would play with live. So really recording i am finding is an art onto itself. Sometimes a bright thin sounding amp kills when recorded (like a plexi) but live, you really need to be aware of your settings. I jammed last night and cranked the gain on my DOD as well as rolled back the treble on the amp. However recording, i thin out the tone a bit for more cut. Definitely though, VERY cool pedal mod.

outlier

Post by outlier » Wed Oct 08, 2008 11:04 am

Shambara is probably Dead End's best album. I'd describe Yuji Adachi as something of an evil-sounding Joe Satriani if that's possible. He's real controlled though and the solos seemed to be pretty well worked out, again, without sounding stiff or contrived. Mystical sounding player. LOTS of compression on the CD.

I think he used an ADA MP-1 on that album. His "secret weapon" was (and may still be) the Boss SP-1 Spectrum.

I have one of those, near mint. Got it for $45.00 back when no one knew what it was, cared or wanted them, so that was a while ago. The old store where I worked back in Pittsburgh, the Roland rep was always trying to get me to sell it to him. Seems the president or vice president of Roland USA had never as much as seen a Spectrum. I wasn't selling though... :mrgreen: It's something of a secret weapon for me too! :)

S.Marshall
Just the numbers in order: 7

Post by S.Marshall » Wed Oct 08, 2008 12:24 pm

$45 Nice!! There is one on ebay rght for $950 :shock: :shock: Can you clone the one you have?
-Steve

outlier

Post by outlier » Wed Oct 08, 2008 2:24 pm

$950.00! :shock: I'm surprised someone hasn't cloned it yet. Someone must've. The schematics and service notes are all over the internet.

S.Marshall
Just the numbers in order: 7

Post by S.Marshall » Wed Oct 08, 2008 3:02 pm

I'm sure someone has but you da man. Interested in doing one?
-Steve

yngwie308

Post by yngwie308 » Wed Oct 08, 2008 7:21 pm

yes You're in Love, I couldn't remember exactly at the time.
John have you gotten my emails, I an send a PM if that is easier.
yngwie308