Re: Just bought a Throbak Color sound Clone

Post by mightymike » Fri Oct 18, 2013 9:28 pm

That video is blocked in the USA

Lefty Lou
Just the numbers in order: 7

Post by Lefty Lou » Sat Oct 19, 2013 12:50 am

mightymike wrote:That video is blocked in the USA
Really? I was watching it today with no problems whatsoever, and I live in the USA. Sounds like another issue altogether.

mightymike
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Post by mightymike » Sat Oct 19, 2013 8:23 pm

I got some weird message about some countries blocking it. Tried to play it on my At&T phone. I have the song so I was able to see what you mean.

mightymike

Post by mightymike » Sat Oct 19, 2013 8:37 pm

One thing I'm really looking forward to trying, is clean boosting from the colorsound pedal into the Ep3, or Badgerplex. This technique gives a really cool little bump in agression, and if dialed in right with an EVH style stock values plexi can give that over the top wtf VH1 level of gain without any real mods.

Lefty Lou

Post by Lefty Lou » Sun Oct 20, 2013 5:19 am

If that's the sound you're going for then that's great. I love sustain and drive as well but, not if it comes at the cost of dynamics which some pedals can take control of. I do agree that clean boosts give an amp more natural drive and natural clipping characteristics that are more pleasing to the ear than fuzz, distortion, and even OD pedals.

mightymike

Post by mightymike » Sun Oct 20, 2013 11:02 pm

I edited my last post to say without mods.. I like to have the lower Impedence 8.5k to 8.7k Asymmetrical wind A5 magnet pickup like a Darkburst Going into that color sound with just a little bump. Like ghe way Pete Thorn used with that Tele on the edge of clean, that gave it a little more sizzle and dynamics.. But instead have the Marshall dimed with that same pedal setting going into the Ep3

It like using a higher power pickup level of gain out of your amp, but way better tone.
Well that's what I'm shooting for..

Lefty Lou

Post by Lefty Lou » Mon Oct 21, 2013 4:48 pm

mightymike wrote:I edited my last post to say without mods.. I like to have the lower Impedence 8.5k to 8.7k Asymmetrical wind A5 magnet pickup like a Darkburst Going into that color sound with just a little bump. Like ghe way Pete Thorn used with that Tele on the edge of clean, that gave it a little more sizzle and dynamics.. But instead have the Marshall dimed with that same pedal setting going into the Ep3

It like using a higher power pickup level of gain out of your amp, but way better tone.
Well that's what I'm shooting for..
The subject of symmetrical as opposed to asymmetrical coil winds in a HB pups is a misnomer. How many humbucker pickups produced by Gibson actually have symmetrically matched coils? Most likely very few to zero, as we know their pup winding machines weren't that accurate, and winding coils exactly in every sense electronically to match another coil is an approximation at its very best.

I'm in favor of the Pete Thorn method, as I like to conserve tubes (and transformers) and still get all the gain I want by how I manipulate my equipment.

mightymike

Post by mightymike » Mon Oct 21, 2013 7:12 pm

I like doing both