DOD 250 GREY SPEC MODS

Everything between your guitar and amp.

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, BUG

outlier

Re: DOD 250 GREY SPEC MODS

Post by outlier » Sat Oct 25, 2008 1:41 am

yngwie308 wrote:This is all great stuff..but what does it have to do with the DOD 250??
:)
yngwie308
Uh... Uh... I give up! :mrgreen:
"THINK OF THE POWER!" ~ E. Cartman

yngwie308

Post by yngwie308 » Sun Oct 26, 2008 12:31 am

I would like to add here, I was using my Analogman/Outlier YJM308 yesterday, with various guitars, my '52 Goldtop, Heritage Gary Moore,it was absolutely awesome, with humbuckers and the P-90's....... :D :D . This is through my Crate combo no less, the bass with the pedal is off the chart. :twisted: :twisted: .
Also was using my Korg SDD-3300 triple digital delay, with a chorus/delay setting. Even though my right fingers are numb, I had to play this thing..sounds great John. :D :D
yngwie308
http://www.vintagewashburn.com/Electric ... evens.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.treblebooster.net/bolin.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Tone Slinger

Post by Tone Slinger » Sun Oct 26, 2008 7:59 pm

DOD has discontinued the 250 and 308 pedals it seems. If this is in fact true, then I'm thinking that those (DOD) guy's have been aware of the craze of making these less than original sounding pedals......original. I bet they FINALLY release the GREY version. If they do though, I bet it still wont be 100 % there, but at least the enclosure will be :D .
Rip Ben Wise (StuntDouble) & Mark Abrahamian (Rockstah)

donbarzini

Post by donbarzini » Sun Oct 26, 2008 8:14 pm

Tone Slinger wrote:I bet they FINALLY release the GREY version. If they do though, I bet it still wont be 100 % there, but at least the enclosure will be :D .
That would be a smart move for DOD.

yngwie308

Post by yngwie308 » Sun Oct 26, 2008 8:39 pm

Yes that would be very cool Billy, as every other manufacturer has done this same thing, MXR, to name one. The have their EVH flanger and phaser. They could conceivably have a grey spec 250, that we could change out the parts on. There also may be other exciting pedals in the future as well!
We all love the 250 pedal, it is so versatile and helps shape a great tone.
I have recently become more involved in pedals then I have ever been. Previously the only effects I have owned were the Dallas Arbiter FuzzFace and Jem Cry Baby back in the late sixties. Then jump to the late eighties and I had a solid state Echoplex that was awesome and a grey MXR flanger that I bought on Electric Avenue in Brixton, London..true story, I had it converted from 240 volts and it was awesome, then I bought an Alesis Quadraverb because of Gary Moore, but that didn't ride well with my vintage Marshalls at the time and I sold it. I had a PS Systems Power Tool, which was an early speaker attenuator/line out device. I burned up one of the load resistors right away and sold it soon after it was repaired, I didn't like the tone. That's it, all the pedals I have ever owned. i did not play guitar for something like ten years, as I had drifted away from music and couldn't afford any gear/guitars, having a struggle to get by frankly.
Currently I have a Korg SDD-3300, a Boss NS-2, a DOD YJM308, an Analogman modded Boss DD-6, mid cut mod and thats it.
I hope to have a Maxon ST-9 Super Tubescreamer and a Bad Monkey some day.
I would have loved to have a Dimension D and I had my eye on a mint one, but it went to the $600 range and of course all this is speculation financially for me. But there are so many pedals out there now, it is a virtual explosion actually!!
yngwie308
http://www.vintagewashburn.com/Electric ... evens.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.treblebooster.net/bolin.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Tone Slinger

Post by Tone Slinger » Mon Oct 27, 2008 7:01 am

You are right about that (explosion) ! One could spend the better part of a day researcing pedal makers, and still find new stuff the next day. I'm currently interested in that Behrenger 'spectrum' clone pedal that ya'll were talking about earlier in this thread. I remember reading an article in Guitar World (Yngwie Cover) from '85 or '86 (I still got it somewhere) Spacy T., used to be in that group 'Sound Barrier' mentioned using that 'spectrum' pedal, saying it added much to his tone. I've never totally forgotten about being interested in it, and the recent mention of it got me reminded/excited again.

I must say that my Roland Jet Phaser is my current fav. It has a very unique sound. It is also the most expensive pedal that I currently own.
Rip Ben Wise (StuntDouble) & Mark Abrahamian (Rockstah)

outlier

Post by outlier » Wed Oct 29, 2008 12:02 pm

Just checking in after a few days and holy freakin'... SPACEY T!!! I cannot believe someone just mentioned this. 8) :lol:

I actually have all three Sound Barrier albums. Man, their cover of "Born To Be Wild" just kills, best cover done of this song. The first album is rare. Only 5000 copies were pressed.

Remember that well, especially as I still have the magazine. There was a small profile of Spacey T up near the front of the magazine. He said how he used a Boss Spectrum on his second album as it gave, and I quote "more power and presence" to the signal.

I found this comment very interesting as I'd thought to myself that the tone on the second album was much improved from the first. So I set out to find a Boss Spectrum. I had no idea what it did, I just knew I wanted it.

Eventually turned one up used at a store in Ohio. Drove out to get it. $45.00!

About the YJM308 mods, I am trying my best to answer the emails and PMs in the order received. Lately, things have been a bit hectic, but I am doing my best. There's been a lot of interest in this, and again, I'm quite surprised by it! :D

So I will get back to all of you soon.

My plan of releasing my own overdrive is moving forward too. I'm working on getting the various parts from various sources and of course, at the best price. I also have a very good line on a supplier that can etch cards for me, so things are looking good. I am thinking I should have the pedal ready for early next year. When the pedal becomes available, I imagine that I will move away from doing the 308/250 mods as overall, it will probably be less labor-intensive to build my own pedal.

In any case, if you've emailed or PM'd me, I will get back to you very soon. If not today, then in the next couple of days. Won't be home tonight — tonight's the Yngwie show... 8)

Kapo_Polenton

Post by Kapo_Polenton » Fri Apr 17, 2009 11:58 am

Hey Outlier, how are your pedals doing? Did you end up with your own line? If so, make sure you have a toggle between cap values. If you remember you sent me a board with a .001 uf in place of the regular .01 uf so that it was a tad tighter and I dig mine. It honestly is better sounding than the soldano hot mod I had in my jcm800 and it is a very natural gain with some girth. Also not as compressed as regular overdrive pedals. Some eq at the board and its bitchin'! You def. need to get your product out there.

outlier

Post by outlier » Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:22 am

Am I allowed to answer this now? :? Will I be breaking rules if I reply?

Still modding pedals. (Note to those sending PMs: No, those aren't my pedals on eBay. I haven't ever listed anything on eBay for sale as I haven't had to. I also don't drill the indicator LED through the logo — why do people do that? My LEDs are always placed in the traditional position: Above and between the knobs.)

Coming out with my own boutique overdrive is slow. Just been so busy with so many things, but it's going to happen sooner or later. I have a lot of the parts stockpiled. Finding the time to do everything is daunting at times. I'm sure everyone knows how that is. Between my jobs, baby daughter, volunteer work, usual house stuff, and an article I'm writing for a guitar magazine, things are definitely busy.

As far as switching input caps, I did that with one of my 308s more than a year ago. I took a 308 I'd modified and put a switch on it. I actually like the sound of the .001 cap when using quality caps. The difference isn't as extreme as that between the stock 250 and 308.

Anyway, glad you still like the pedal! I know how easy it is to be totally jazzed by something and then several months later, be moved on to some other shiny bauble... :wink: :mrgreen: So it means a lot to me to hear that you're still really liking it.

Icarus

Post by Icarus » Thu May 07, 2009 6:10 am

outlier wrote:Now that I think of it, there is a Boss SP-1 clone from Behringer. I forget what it's called, but it has a name that's suggestive of the Spectrum as I recall.

I always liked midrange-y sounds. I also have a Jersey Girl Middranger, which is really nice for fattening up a Telecaster. I don't think I've tried it with my YJM Strat yet...

I'm also interested in that Jekeko static wah pedal. I've been listening to MSG's Perfect Timing a lot lately. What an unsung classic... :D It'd be great to get that perfect cocked wah sound at a single kick.

Dave, I haven't checked my Yahoo email since arriving here. As I wrote, I'm just jumping on networks here, of which there are at least two. I figure if my password here is compromised, no problem. I'll just email the admin. A compromised password on a Yahoo account is a bigger problem so I haven't logged on. Just send me a PM. :)

I just did a search for Akira takasaki & found this thread
These 250 mods look interesting are they still around ?

** As for the Half Cocked Wha sound .I too dig that for a lead tone .
very European ,Schenker, Uli Roth , Mathial Jabbs & Akira had a similar lead Tone in the 80's
I found a crappy Ibanez Smash Box to have that sound
Can be very Bassy & at times another good thing is it have a
Built in Noise gate !!
Marshall 1973 PTP
Marshall 1977 JMP 2204
Marshall Plexi Reissue
Marshall JCM 800 1959
Marshall 1982 JCM 800 2203
Mesa Boogie MKIV

Marshall 1960TV
2x12 V-30's
Eminar 4x12
2x12 Celestion Gh-80's

Kapo_Polenton

Post by Kapo_Polenton » Thu May 07, 2009 5:46 pm

I've never been able to get the half cocked wah sound that I wanted to hear from my modded cry baby. Maybe a new wah is in effect. I agree that i love Shenker's tone but i wish i could dial in that high end sweet spot he gets. Mine always sounds too brittle and thin.... not to mention noisy.

Anyway, Outlier's mod kicks ass! Literally an extension of the amp if you ask me. OD pedals can sound unatural and synthetic.. this keeps the feel and the looseness of the amp, it just gives you more of it. Eq at the board does all the tightening I need right now. Its great. Can clean boost really well too if you just want a bit more oomph.

Icarus

Post by Icarus » Thu May 07, 2009 10:13 pm

Sounds like a good alternative to modding for more gain
Are there any clips of the modded pedal (stock amp then with pedal) ?
Marshall 1973 PTP
Marshall 1977 JMP 2204
Marshall Plexi Reissue
Marshall JCM 800 1959
Marshall 1982 JCM 800 2203
Mesa Boogie MKIV

Marshall 1960TV
2x12 V-30's
Eminar 4x12
2x12 Celestion Gh-80's

Kapo_Polenton

Post by Kapo_Polenton » Fri May 08, 2009 9:42 am

Yeah, I did some a while back but not sure if they are still accessible. Would you like me to make some more this weekend? I'll do it with my JCM800. To me it is very amp like.

outlier

Post by outlier » Sat May 09, 2009 7:12 pm

Icarus wrote:I just did a search for Akira takasaki & found this thread
These 250 mods look interesting are they still around ?

** As for the Half Cocked Wha sound .I too dig that for a lead tone .
very European ,Schenker, Uli Roth , Mathial Jabbs & Akira had a similar lead Tone in the 80's
I found a crappy Ibanez Smash Box to have that sound
Can be very Bassy & at times another good thing is it have a
Built in Noise gate !!
PM sent. Yeah, Akira remains one of my favorites. I own two Killer KG-Primes, so you could say I'm a fan.

Know what you mean about getting that Schenker tone. It's a lot more difficult that it would seem at first glance. Returning to that Perfect Timing album, I think that's actually one of his best recordings and I'm aware that that's not an album usually cited by Schenker fans.

Still would like to get that Jekeko pedal... It'd be nice to have a set tone with that and just stomp it when I want that sound, instead of trying to balance a wah treadle just so.

The Boss SP-1 Spectrum does a really good job, but as we all know, that thing is ungodly expensive whenever one can manage to turn one up. In fact, I recently had a dream where I found several mint unsold NOS SP-1s at some store and they were being sold cheap. Like I said, it was a dream... :lol:

I also have an old Thomas Crybaby with the Roger Mayer 9090A kit in it. Great wah sound, Akira was using that in the early '90s, but not quite the Schenker sound...

donbarzini

Post by donbarzini » Sun May 17, 2009 12:19 pm

outlier's mod on the YJM308 is the best, I love mine. I purchased two from him, I have an extra new one if anyone is interested.