Use of or need of Buffer?

Everything between your guitar and amp.

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, BUG

rgorke
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Use of or need of Buffer?

Post by rgorke » Sun Mar 03, 2013 1:59 pm

I have been messing around with the effect in my signal chain. I have been noticing some loss of, well sparkly, high end, etc as I add more pedals and cable between them.

When do the number and length of cable really start to impact tone? I am running, MXR Phase 90, MXR Flanger, MXR 6 band (modified with a truebypass switch and LED), Boss GE-10, and one or two Echoplex. So, after about 3 pedals, the tone seems to change, ever so slightly.

What do people think? I am thinking about building a Pete Cornish buffer. What about the buffer in the Boss pedals?

Thoughts?
"If you make a mistake, do it twice and smile and let people think you meant it." Jan Van Halen.

Just1n
Just the numbers in order: 7

Re: Use of or need of Buffer?

Post by Just1n » Sun Mar 03, 2013 2:13 pm

I'd check out something relatively cheap and simple before diving into Cornish buffer.
http://this1smyne.com/shop/mb-mini-buffer/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Also, Pete Thorn and Thomas Nordegg talk briefly (but informatively) on buffered vs true bypass. Good watch.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YOWeoizp4y0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Bottom line is experimenting and know what each of your pedals do to the signal when disengaged and find your most practical positioning.

rgorke

Post by rgorke » Sun Mar 03, 2013 3:46 pm

Thanks, I did see that video Pete did but forgot.

I already have the parts for the Cornish buffer, I think. Just need to assemble. His stuff is pretty pricey if you get it from him.
"If you make a mistake, do it twice and smile and let people think you meant it." Jan Van Halen.

Just1n

Post by Just1n » Sun Mar 03, 2013 4:37 pm

Gotcha. Hell yeah, if you have the parts go for it. Never tried building a pedal, sounds like open pandora's box of possibilities. Haha. Let us know how it goes. I know I'm not alone in enjoying puzzle piecing together the tone you want, but it's about whole being greater than the sum. Synergy, ya know?

Best of luck, man

spaceace76

Post by spaceace76 » Sun Mar 03, 2013 9:32 pm

as renowned as the cornish buffer is, its a rather outdated design. it probably doesn't hold a candle to a simple opamp buffer.

the rate at which cables/# of pedals will affect tone is all to do with the cable you are using and of course the method of bypass for each of your effects.

by the way, the most effective spot to put a buffer in your chain is onboard the guitar itself. and if you have enough effects, or don't play with distortion pedals, another directly before the cable that runs to the amplifier. anything more than that is unnecessary IMO

here's a well put together page on the subject:
http://www.beavisaudio.com/techpages/Buffers/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

SteadyEddie

Post by SteadyEddie » Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:19 am

If I were to build a buffer, I'd put it in a small enclosure with a clip, like a tape measure, to clip onto your guitar strap. So you'd only need a short patch cable before it hit the buffer circuit.

908ssp

Post by 908ssp » Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:06 am

Some pedals don't sound right if you feed them a buffered signal. You need the buffer after those pedals. You'll have to experiment to decide but many fuzz and wha wha pedals just aren't design to be after the buffer. If you run any pedal all the time it is in fact acting as a buffer. Any tone shaping, Eq, or boost when it is on is working as a buffer and no additional buffer is needed.

rgorke

Post by rgorke » Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:21 am

908ssp wrote:Some pedals don't sound right if you feed them a buffered signal. You need the buffer after those pedals. You'll have to experiment to decide but many fuzz and wha wha pedals just aren't design to be after the buffer. If you run any pedal all the time it is in fact acting as a buffer. Any tone shaping, Eq, or boost when it is on is working as a buffer and no additional buffer is needed.
Thanks Alex. I think my issue arises (or at least one of my issues) is when I have any Eq in my signal chain off. I don't use a way or fuzz so, fortunately, that isn't an issue. Maybe I should leave the EQ on with just a minor amount of adjustments?

I have been also gone back to very short (6ft) cables from guitar to pedals to amp. That helps too.

I may build one for giggles and see how it works.

Friedman recommends the RJM, if anyone else is interested.