Current Market on Laney Supergroup 100w?

Completed amps from Fender, Orange, Hiwatt, Vox, etc.

Moderator: VelvetGeorge

MikeO
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Current Market on Laney Supergroup 100w?

Post by MikeO » Fri Feb 21, 2014 3:10 pm

First of all, I'm in the USA (Los Angeles) so these amps are hard to find.
I found two in a local shop... One is an all original '70-72 Supergroup and the other is a '68? Plexi front 100w pre-Supergroup.

The plexi one has issues; retolexed head cab, two extra holes in the rear panel and it's been monkeyed with a bit inside. It's been restored and only a a few resistors have been replaced. Trannies are original.

The original '70s one is $1500 and the plexi one is $1200.
I'm leaning towards the '70s one but both need a good 'douching' as all the jacks and pots are dirty and make loud static noises.

The prices seem a bit high to me but I'm out if the loop. What should I offer for either? (Only gonna buy one)

neikeel

Re: Current Market on Laney Supergroup 100w?

Post by neikeel » Thu Mar 13, 2014 9:02 am

Interesting thread on Plexipalace about this question I seem to remember, not long ago :wink: :whistle:
Neil

awangotango
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Re: Current Market on Laney Supergroup 100w?

Post by awangotango » Tue Oct 14, 2014 10:46 pm

both those prices are reasonable. I had a '68 and bought/sold it for around that price. I feel you need to work on the caps to make them safe/gig worthy, unless someone already has done that work. Laney's filter cap arrangement was not properly designed in a lot of peoples minds. so figure another couple hundred to have that work done if you can't do it yourself.