Speaker for fender sounds

Completed amps from Fender, Orange, Hiwatt, Vox, etc.

Moderator: VelvetGeorge

Audiowonderland
Just the numbers in order: 7

Speaker for fender sounds

Post by Audiowonderland » Fri May 18, 2012 10:26 pm

Setting up a pair of ISO cabs. 1 for fender sounds and the other Marshall. I have the Marshall side covered in terms of speakers but I am not sure where to look on the fender side. WGS has a few things that may be possible. The Eminence speakers I have tried sound good but are not "traditional Fender" sounds to my ear. What else is out there?

Lefty Lou

Re: Speaker for fender sounds

Post by Lefty Lou » Mon May 21, 2012 8:04 pm

Welcome Audiowonderland, I would think that any number of Fender Speaker Suppliers would have speakers with the response curve that you're looking for with maybe an exception of a several like Utahs, Oxfords, JBL, & Altec which would leave only Jensen, Emminence, CTS and Weber. You might look more in depth at the Weber speaker line since that's what Gerald Weber built his reputation on was Fender speakers.

Delvis

Post by Delvis » Thu May 31, 2012 12:45 pm

I own quite a few (dozens) and I have never heard anything better than a pair of Jensen C10N's with a fender amp. I think Weber might make a comparable 10. The other is a JBL D130F....but finding one with original cone or a GOOD recone is difficult. Most out their have bad recones and sound like crap!

Lefty Lou

Post by Lefty Lou » Thu May 31, 2012 2:46 pm

My buddy had (4) JBL 10"s in his Fender SFSR that was modded to a Fender SFTR (by its previous owner for steel guitar) and the JBL's definitely did not sound Fenderish (i.e. clean) but warmer with more mid-rangish characteristics to be precise. This is what Cesar Diaz (SRV's amp tech) had to say about JBL's, " I got sick of dealing with the JBL's because they used to blow so easily, and it just wasn't funny anymore. I got sick of changing them out, and I never really liked the harshness of them. However, the first album, Texas Flood, was all VibroVerbs and JBL's."

Myself personally I've never owned any Weber speakers, but I understand there are some excellent Fender speaker (models/repros) to be had as well as Celestion, Fane, JBL, EV models. Just from looking at Webers online stock they look to be fairly diverse in what they offer.

Roe

Post by Roe » Thu May 31, 2012 3:05 pm

for tweeds and blondes: british/celestion type speakers. For blackface and silverface: jensen/weber, JBL/weber or EV
http://www.myspace.com/20bonesband" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.myspace.com/prostitutes" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Super 100 amps: 1202-119 & 1202-84
JTM45 RS OT JTM50 JMP50 1959/2203/34/39

AustinTx

Post by AustinTx » Thu May 31, 2012 3:14 pm

Lots of great Fender tone comes from Alnico speakers, they even make a Marshall sound more fenderish.
Austin Texas
http://www.doug-morrison.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

robert

Post by robert » Fri Jun 08, 2012 6:21 am

Hi,

IMHO the Celestion G12H30s (Pre-Rola) sound very good in Fenders, e.g. Deluxes etc.

Regards

Robert