Good amp for my line out of Super Lead?

Completed amps from Fender, Orange, Hiwatt, Vox, etc.

Moderator: VelvetGeorge

Mase
Just the numbers in order: 7

Good amp for my line out of Super Lead?

Post by Mase » Thu Jan 27, 2011 3:51 am

Hey guys, my first post. I'm running a Marshall Super Lead 100 > dummy load > FX > ? AMP ? > speaker

I know Eddie Van Halen used Marshall metal face amps for his final amplifier and later switched to SS HH V800. Do you guys have experience in using tube vs. SS amps for your final amplifier? I've tried running my line out into the FX return of a mesa boogie triple rec's clean channel and its a bit fuzzy. So I dont think that one will work. Ideas opinions?

demonufo
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Re: Good amp for my line out of Super Lead?

Post by demonufo » Thu Jan 27, 2011 2:21 pm

Which line out are we talking about here?

If you're talking about the line out on the back of a reissue SuperLead, then it is not brilliant, nor is it speaker emulated, which will certainly explain fuzziness.
So I like purple, okay!!!!!!

83.7% of all statistics are made up on the spot!

Maverick

Post by Maverick » Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:09 pm

Lexicon mx200 into an old silver or blackface fender
Akme Guitars

demonufo

Post by demonufo » Fri Jan 28, 2011 2:14 am

Yes but how are you getting from the superlead to the Lexicon. What is in between and what are you plugging into at every stage?
So I like purple, okay!!!!!!

83.7% of all statistics are made up on the spot!

Funky Hunky

Post by Funky Hunky » Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:11 pm

Yes big difference. The tube power amp has loads of life and detail. Essential. I use a Peavey Classic 60/60 and have used Mesa 20/20 as well as the effect return/ power amp in of other tube amps. They all work great. Rockstah and others have added power amp ins on Marshalls too with great success. Solid state sounds duller with less presence. Van Halen has loads of sizzle and presence. 6l6 will have a little more lows, El34 more mid and El84 bright and gritty. 6v6 warm and darker.
Clips:
http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=11391879" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Reeltarded

Post by Reeltarded » Thu Oct 13, 2011 6:28 am

Searching for line outs and I have to clarify the above post.

DON'T RETURN INTO THE FRONT OF THE SECOND AMP. This is what the return is for on an effects loop. Come out of your line out into amp #2's loop return.
not kicking the dead horse

Leardriver

Post by Leardriver » Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:49 pm

I am currently running out of my 73 50w into a 16ohm Hotplate set to load-than out of the line out of the Hotplate into whatever Time based effects I am playing with (currently a Strymon Timeline but may be rethinking that-than into a Matrix GT1000FX Power Amp which is excellent for this application (it was designed to be used with guitar preamps and Fractal system)- than out to speaker (or speakers if I want a wet/dry setup as the GT1000FX is a stereo unit).

Pet Thorn has a very good demo video demonstrating just this. Steve Stevens switched from the H&H Power amps to the Matrix units. Oh yea...they weigh 6-7lbs and is 1000W (Bridged). I can run the amp dimed and set it to whisper levels without any real loose of tone except for the fact that the speakers aren't pushing any air so they sound darker. But its cool because now I can dial in the sweet spot for the amp and than adjust the speaker cab in whatever way I choose. I can run the speakers more compressed or a bit looser for recording also. Is there a difference in tone going through the slaved setup....I spose a little, but very very little and honestly it sounds better depending on vol. Of course if you factor in the effects its a home run.

PaulP