Ampeg Tri-Ax VT-120 combo...

Completed amps from Fender, Orange, Hiwatt, Vox, etc.

Moderator: VelvetGeorge

loud and dirty
Just the numbers in order: 7

Ampeg Tri-Ax VT-120 combo...

Post by loud and dirty » Wed Oct 19, 2011 10:55 am

It seems i have just taken custody of one of these. It took a little bit to start dialing everything in, but i am really digging this amp. Well, except for the hum :roll: and the weight :shock: . i do have one issue i would like to fix, but there just isn't that much info out there for these amps. The store i work at was as service center and still can't get schematics! Anyway, the bass boost on the 'lead" channel boosts too much...kinda like a Laney AOR! Without it, it needs more bass. Not Much. I don't do that tons of bass and treble no mid thing. Anybody know what to do just on that channel? The other channels are fine, if not just a touch bass heavy. I would louv to add a bass control for the lead channel, even if i have to drill a hole and put it on the back of the amp. :wink:

DaveMcLain

Re: Ampeg Tri-Ax VT-120 combo...

Post by DaveMcLain » Wed Dec 28, 2011 8:03 am

A guy in my band has one of those that's the 60 watt version and we've carried it for years as a spare/backup amp. I always thought it sounded ok especially the middle channel but it seems to me that the amp was always voiced a little too dark. Long ago we switched the amp over to an EL34(very easy just set the bias) and in my opinion it sounds MUCH better than with a 6L6GC. I think I have a schematic for the 60watt version somewhere because I've done a few repairs on that amp over the years.

loud and dirty

Re: Ampeg Tri-Ax VT-120 combo...

Post by loud and dirty » Sun Jul 01, 2012 2:05 pm

Mine most definitely is not a dark sounding amp. The high gain channel does 80's thrash really well. Anyway, it's now just my "wet" amp in a wet/dry stereo rig.